Mercedes C Class W204 - Mercedes diesel vs petrol - advice please - pt530i

I am in the market for a 3 year old C Class up to £15k.

I do about 12k miles pa so its not clear cut whether a diesel will be cheaper to run - and given that a petrol C180 is generally a grand cheaper than a diesel and often with half the miles it might make better sense.

I am wary of a diesel's potential for big bills when they get old (I plan to keep a long time) with turbos, injectors, etc but the new 1.6 petrol (M274 engine) is direct injection and turbo charged - would these be just as complex and troublesome when old ?

A few years ago petrols were almost always easier to fix when old but not so sure nowadays.

Thoughts welcome please.

Mercedes C Class W204 - Mercedes diesel vs petrol - advice please - Railroad.
This is difficult to call. I think you just have to go with your preference whether it's petrol or diesel. Miles per gallon will be better with a diesel, but it's also more expensive to buy. A diesel will also eventually need a new DPF, which will cost. You won't have that with a petrol.

You're looking to spend a fair amount of money on a car and so I assume you're not too concerned about the cost of future repairs, within reason of course.

If you're serious about your mileage, and you intend to clock up a few then my vote is for diesel.
Mercedes C Class W204 - Mercedes diesel vs petrol - advice please - gordonbennet

If you're journeys are long enough to keep the DPF satisfied then the 2.2 Diesel, if looked after, is capable of huge mileages.

Circa 400k miles on a small private hire fleet i know of in E Class bodies, my MB indy services them properly none of these 20k oil service intervals tolerated, sold on to new homes still running well.

I wouldn't normally suggest Diesel these days except with MB.

Course you've got to second guess what punitive measures the govt will take against Diesels to raise more cash when they get round to it.

Mercedes C Class W204 - Mercedes diesel vs petrol - advice please - daveyjp

I had a test drive in the C180 petrol SE with the 1.6 turbo and auto box.

It was a lovely drive, the engine didn't feel in any way inadequate and over a 15 mile predominantly urban test drive gave an indicated 40mpg.

Mercedes C Class W204 - Mercedes diesel vs petrol - advice please - gordonbennet

Where has this 1.6 petrol been sourced from, not another Mitsi unit with a single timing chain is it.