Vauxhall Corsa B '93 - Help Please! Hot Start - Fuel not electrics? - Teleblaster

Some help please - anybody! Got a basic '93 Corsa 1200 worth nothing on paper, but actually straight as a die, rust free, 70k etc etc. It starts and runs perfectly all the time with no performance problems I can detect, but when properly hot after 10 miles or so, if stalled or switched off will not even try to fire unless it's cooled for a few minutes. I've changed the ECU temperature sender, the coil, the ignition amplfier and the distributer (with the hall effect dectector within). There seems to be spark at the plugs.. So are there any fuel system or any other components that could do this?

Edited by Teleblaster on 06/06/2015 at 14:04

Vauxhall Corsa B '93 - Help Please! Hot Start - Fuel not electrics? - galileo

Sounds like fuel vaporisation - not familiar with this engine so can't suggest where to look for possible hotspots in the fuel system. This is a fuel injection engine, isn't it? Could be pump, fuel lines to injectors?

Vauxhall Corsa B '93 - Help Please! Hot Start - Fuel not electrics? - elekie&a/c doctor

Looks like this is a single point injection engine.I would suggest remove the air cleaner housing from the top of the injection unit and crank the engine to see if any fuel is being injected into the air inlet venturi.

Vauxhall Corsa B '93 - Help Please! Hot Start - Fuel not electrics? - Teleblaster

Thanks for the replies so soon. Yes it is a central injection system (and looks just like a carburettor). I will run it up and look to see if it's squirting.

But I can't see how the fuel pump can be faulty if it only happens when the engine is hot, and only on trying to restart. Plus as there appears to be no continuous running problem hot or cold it seems to shout 'sensor' in some way to me, and the ECU temp sender is apparently a common candidate on the ignition side.

In the meantime, anyone else got any ideas?? (apart from scrapping the car that is).

Yes it's fuel. Squirts a-ok cold, and restarted over and over no problem up until it reached thermostat opening temp. Then switch off, no start, filter off, no squirt.

Vauxhall Corsa B '93 - Help Please! Hot Start - Fuel not electrics? - elekie&a/c doctor

no squirt of fuel means either no injection pulse or no fuel delivery.Are you 100% sure there is a good spark?

Vauxhall Corsa B '93 - Help Please! Hot Start - Fuel not electrics? - Graham567

I once had an old car that would cut out when hot and wouldn't start again until it had cooled down.It was the fuel pump.

OK I'm open minded: I think I've got a spare pump, I'll change it and see if that makes a difference. Check spark again.

Thanks all.