Unlicensed Vehicle Letter: DVLA, help needed - KyleG44

Hi all,

Received a letter from dvla stating my car was untaxed on the 19/05/15. On the 15/04/15 I set up my car tax online and have got two confirmation emails stating it has been set up, as well as setting this up for my new vehicle I also cancelled my previous car tax direct debit on the same day.

I checked online if my car was taxed and it says it is so I telephoned the dvla and explained this to them. They were no help whatsoever and stated my car was untaxed on the day and I need to pay the fine.I asked them why it was untaxed when I have confirmation that the direct debit has been set up, they said they sent an email out to me on the 20/05/2015 stating the debit has been cancelled.

I checked my emails and the email I received was confirming it was my other direct debit for the old car what was cancelled.

I then telephoned my bank and asked them if there was a new debit set up to which they confirmed but stated that the Dvla haven't asked for a payment, and because they haven't asked for one, one hasn't been sent.

I phoned the dvla up again and tried explaining this and they weren't interested. Where do I stand with this? It's really worrying me as I followed the correct process of taxing my car online and also had email confirmation stating it has been successful. I have many debit being deducted from my bank.

Sorry for the long message but really concerned with this. Any help really appreciated

Unlicensed Vehicle Letter: DVLA, help needed - Palcouk

On the basis of what you have said;

Write to the DVLA (recorded delivery) enclosing copies of the confirmations and stateing that the dd was set up, but they, the DVLA, havent actioned it, and that the bank has confirmed that the dd was in place on 15/04/15.

In such cases its often no point in speaking to a 'robot'

Unlicensed Vehicle Letter: DVLA, help needed - slkfanboy

I would ensure the car is taxed and keep the letter. Simply write to the DVLA with a copy of the confirmation. No need for recorded delivery and leave it to the DVLA. Most likely they will just close the case as it's nonsense.

Unlicensed Vehicle Letter: DVLA, help needed - scot22

I would send recorded delivery. Then you have documented evidence.

It is amazing how many things are 'lost' .

Unlicensed Vehicle Letter: DVLA, help needed - slkfanboy

You would simply need proof of posting, which a court would except as suffiecent proof. You could get from the post office for free, rather than greater expense.

Unlicensed Vehicle Letter: DVLA, help needed - skidpan

We always send with proof of posting when we post stuff to the DVLA. Not sure what good sending recorded would do since its a PO Box number, is there anyone there to sign.

Unlicensed Vehicle Letter: DVLA, help needed - alan1302

It just proves it's arrived at its destination. No doubt no one physically signs for each letter but the Royal Mail would mark it as delivered.

A certificate of posting is only of value if something is lost in the post and you are claiming compensation of up to £50.

If you want proof that something has been delivered and signed for then it needs to be recorded.

The cost for a letter, up to 100gms, is £1.73, first class.

However, if worried about expense second class is £1.64.

Personally I would want proof the letter has been delivered. A certificate of posting merely proof it has been sent, not necessarily received. What use is that ?

If it will not be accepted as recorded delivery then obviously not an option.

How does the court know what is in the envelope ?

Edited by scot22 on 25/06/2015 at 22:02

Unlicensed Vehicle Letter: DVLA, help needed - bathtub tom
If you want proof that something has been delivered and signed for then it needs to be recorded.Personally I would want proof the letter has been delivered. A certificate of posting merely proof it has been sent, not necessarily received. What use is that ?

Equally, how does recorded delivery prove what's in the envelope?

Good point, accepted. However, at least it would prove that it had been received : proof of posting doesn't.

I will be more careful in future Tom !

Unlicensed Vehicle Letter: DVLA, help needed - Leif
If you want proof that something has been delivered and signed for then it needs to be recorded.Personally I would want proof the letter has been delivered. A certificate of posting merely proof it has been sent, not necessarily received. What use is that ?

Equally, how does recorded delivery prove what's in the envelope?

It passes responsibility to the recipient since they in effect take ownership of the item. Regardless of who actually signs it, it was delivered to their address. And it then prevents them saying "We did not receive it". All they can say is "We lost it".

Unlicensed Vehicle Letter: DVLA, help needed - Nic89

Hi, sorry I know your post is a few years old now but just wondering how you resolved this as I am currently in the exact same position and I'm scouring the internet for info as not sure whether to fight my argument that they are to fault or just pay the fine!? Thanks in advance