Citroen DS5 - PDF REGENERATION - DS5
Sealy have produced a bit of kit that can perform a regeneration on the PDFit links into the computer and increases the revs and the fuel intake thus increasing the engine temperature would this be enough to complete a full regeneration of the PDR
Citroen DS5 - PDF REGENERATION - craig-pd130

The best way to regenerate the DPF is to do it the way it's supposed to be done - on the open road. Unless the car's stuck in limp mode because the DPF is already blocked, get it onto a local motorway or open road, and just drive above 40mph at a steady 2,000rpm or thereabouts for about 30 minutes.

Don't believe the advice that's often given about thrashing the car at high rpm, this is not ideal for regeneration. A steady drive with the rpm held around the engine's torque curve peak is best.

Citroen DS5 - PDF REGENERATION - skidpan

Your handbook will advise you about the best way of driving during a regen.

We have had 2 cars with DPF's and the advice has been the same for both, once a regen starts drive above 40 mph with revs between 1500 and 2200 for about 20 minutes. If we are on the motorway 60 mph in 6th is perfect but we have had regens complete successfully when driving accross town.

But a regen will only start when the computer says so, no amount of thrashing or any of the other pub stories will start one.

Citroen DS5 - PDF REGENERATION - Railroad.
In any event a DPF will eventually need to be replaced because not all of the particulate matter collected within it can be successfully broken down. The more short journeys you do the sooner that day will come.
Citroen DS5 - PDF REGENERATION - skidpan
In any event a DPF will eventually need to be replaced because not all of the particulate matter collected within it can be successfully broken down. The more short journeys you do the sooner that day will come.

Its the ash residue that eventually kills a DPF, its what is left of the particles after a regen. That is why all diesels fitted with DPF's should use Low SAPS engine oil. Use the wrong oil and it will kill the DPF faster.

Some companies claim to be able to wash out DPF's but that is mostly just another pub myth.

Citroen DS5 - PDF REGENERATION - old-school-tech

There are also companies that can supply an empty DPF looking exhaust section and remap your ECU...

Clearly the way to go in my opinion...although they don't come cheap.

There are also companies that can supply an empty DPF looking exhaust section and remap your ECU...

Clearly the way to go in my opinion...although they don't come cheap.

But before you do you might like to read this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/263018/diesel-particulate-filters-guidance.pdf

yep i'm fully aware of the "legal" implications, I'm a tester myself, which is why these companies are making "look-a-like DPF's.

Obviously there is no way for a tester to know what is inside the DPF, only that it is fitted so if its just an empty can then all we can do if we suspect something is amiss is "pass and advise"

I'm not a fan of de-catting or de-dpf'ing cars, certainly not for performance reasons, however DPF's are causing big headaches for people thesedays, and honestly who has the time or inclination to drive for 20-30mins at a constant speed for the sole purpose of regenerating your DPF, Its just a big pain in the bum, not everone has access to a nice stretch of road where you can maintain that kind of speed for any length of time too, have you seen the M25 or M1 at 2am thesedays...lol.

Every day I am hearing more and more reasons to never buy a diesel, any money you save on fuel economy is often offset on ridiculous repair and maintainence costs.

yep i'm fully aware of the "legal" implications, I'm a tester myself, which is why these companies are making "look-a-like DPF's.

Even the bit that says it's an offence under the road vehicles (construction and use) regulations to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emission standards that it was designed to meet? The potential penalty is a £1,000 fine for a car, and £2,500 for a goods vehicle.

Like you I was an MOT tester for many years and have carried out hundreds of tests. I well appreciate that someone could manufacture a component that has the appearance of a DPF, and is of sufficient quality that could fool even the most experienced MOT tester, but to modify a vehicle in this was means you are taking a risk. Currently the MOT emission test for a diesel engine only checks for overall smoke density, not for individual pollutants within it. How long though will it be before that changes? This is the thin end of the wedge.

Unless you do proper mileage a diesel car is no longer economically viable. Those who do school runs and shopping trips are far better of with a small petrol engine. Better still in my opinion lease hiring a car is a much better option than buying one, in which case a diesel is a viable option since the driver is not responsible for the maintenance cost of it.

I'm pretty sure the legal implications wouldn't put most people who are intent on removing the DPF off, Most of the time its done for performance reasons along with remapping to gain extra BHP, I doubt very much these people bother to tell their insurance companies that the car has been remapped either.

As far as i'm concerned if I saw a suspect DPF during an MOT test, as long as it wasn't just a straight through pipe and it looked like a DPF I would let it go, as long as i've made a note on the advisory section then i'm in the clear.

The rules and regulations for motor vehicles thesedays are very particular and complicated, I'm sure without even knowing it every one of us at some point has broken one or more of the rules or guidelines no matter how law abiding we think we are.

have a read through the .Gov website on road vehicle regulations..Its ridiculous..and a lot of it contradicts the VOSA rules too,

I remember when I used to ride a bike with a slightly smaller number plate than was strictly allowed, at the time I used to carry a photocopy of the testers manual number plate section, because there was no mention of size in there, only pages of rules and regs regarding the layout of the characters, the spacing between them, the font allowed etc...but no mention whatsoever about the size, and this was my get out of jail free card whenever the police stopped me, because they would show me in their highway rule book a section regarding size, which my number plate clearly fell foul of, and i would argue that the MOT didn't check the size, and as a motorist the only checks our vehicles have to comply with annually is the government approved MOT test.

I got away with it a few times until the wording was changed a few years later, but by that time I had grown up anyway :)

That's no different really from using red diesel or sunflower oil on a road vehicle. People do it because it's cheaper, but it's against the law unless the duty has been paid, in which case there's nothing to be saved. Those who have been caught have had to pay a heavy price for their saving, and later wished they hadn't.

I've long since thought that the internal combustion engine as we know it is the weak link on the modern car. To me it seems pretty pointless to have a 21st century computer controlled engine management system fitted to an engine that is barely 30% efficient. Even DPFs don't solve emission problems, they merely paper over the cracks by collecting particulate matter whilst driving in town, and then dumping it in rural areas, albeit in a controlled manner.

A completely new power unit is what is ultimately required, and one that does not produce carbon emissions. That would seem to far easier said than done though, as no-one yet has developed anything that's going to change the world.

Citroen DS5 - PDF REGENERATION - craig-pd130

A completely new power unit is what is ultimately required, and one that does not produce carbon emissions. That would seem to far easier said than done though, as no-one yet has developed anything that's going to change the world.

I've sometimes wondered if there is design for an engine that runs on water, which sitting in a secure vault in a very deep basement at either Shell or BP, just waiting to be revealed when crude oil supplies run out :-D

Steam engine?

Citroen DS5 - PDF REGENERATION - DS5
Thanks for the very good advice think I will be looking for a petrol edition of the DS5
Thanks CitronDS5
Citroen DS5 - PDF REGENERATION - focussed

Sunflower oil or straight vegetable oil used in a diesel engine does not attract duty since July 2007 as long as the annual usage does not exceed 2500 litres.

The sting in the tail is-

If the annual usage exceeds 2500 litres duty becomes payable on the whole amount-not just the amount that exceeds 2500 litres.

www.vegoilmotoring.com/eng/legal-stuff

Not that I condone or would ever use the stuff-too many problems with cold starting in winter etc.

Lots of people mix it 50/50 with road diesel - personally I can't see the point.