Honda CR-V - Vibration at low speed only. - The Rookie

I have had my 2006 Crv cdti executive for some years now.

A fantastic car, which was voted best 4x4 with the least problems.

I've had been suffering from a vibration at 20mph. I could drive through it and you wouldn't know it was there until you slowed down and accelerated from low speed through the 20mph.

So I went to my local Honda garage with the problem.

The head technician of the garage took me out in my vehicle, to which he diagnosed the problem straight away as a inner cv joint. He explained that they change both inner cv joints at the same time to cure the problem.

As all Honda drivers know, parts and servicing don't come cheap at the dealership. Nearly £400 per cv joint (×2) + labour is well over a grand. The technician also said not to buy aftermarket parts as they won't fix the vibration issue. But I didn't fancy paying out £1200+.

So I found a company that said they could help me solve the problem. (Driveshafts.UK) At £100 per cv joint I thought great, a cheap fix.

Changed the right hand side first and the vibration was worse. Then they changed the left side. Still no improvement? If anything it was slightly worse. Then they say, oh it's got to be your right hand half shaft that's worn on the splines. So I found a company Cox Motor Group (Honda dealership) that gave me a good price for genuine Honda parts. So I purchased the half shaft, fitted it myself and still no improvement. So they brought in a reconditioned shaft from another supplier. Still no joy. Then Driveshafts.UK said it's the gearbox oil that needs draining and flushing out. I'd already done that, but for there piece of mind I paid Honda £250 to flush and change both gearbox and diff oils. So £250 for the fluid change and £500+ in driveshaft parts later it's even worse.

I called Cox Motor Group and they quoted me a great price for both front inner cv joints. Fitted them myself, and hey presto. The car runs like a dream. Like a new car.

So if you have a vibration at low speed beware of aftermarket or reconditioned parts when it comes to driveshafts. Your better off with original Honda parts.

Safe motoring.

Honda CR-V - Vibration at low speed only. - slkfanboy

Sounds very much like a specific issue to the Crv as cv joint normally just make a load clicking noise when failing.

Not sure who voted it best 4x4 as its more of a town even in 4x4 mode. Should be very reliable and honda's good will should go a long way to making a very good puchase.