Ford Galaxy - All Wheel Drive vs bigger engine on new Galaxy - tdenson

I am about to buy the new Ford Galaxy but have a dilemma. I want the most powerful engine but I would also like the All Wheel Drive option. However, for some curious reason you can't have the two together. I don't do any off road and am troubled by snow perhaps once or twice a year, but I don't really know if AWD has every day benefits that would be better for me than the extra power. What would folks advise ?

Ford Galaxy - All Wheel Drive vs bigger engine on new Galaxy - Manatee

What's the difference in the engine? What sort of 4wd is it? I've just wasted 5 minutes fruitlessly trying to find the details on the Ford website, but it sounds interesting.

Ford Galaxy - All Wheel Drive vs bigger engine on new Galaxy - Avant

If you don't actually go off-road, but just want to be able to get about in snow, just get some good winter tyres (on all four wheels). Those coupled with FWD should be fine.

Ford Galaxy - All Wheel Drive vs bigger engine on new Galaxy - gordonbennet

I love proper AWD, makes everyday driving in damp conditions much more sure footed.

Ford Galaxy - All Wheel Drive vs bigger engine on new Galaxy - lordwoody

I have driven many many tens of thousands of miles in 'damp' conditions and have never once thought that having 4WD would make the experience any better.

(And yes,I have in the past owned numerous 4WD cars including a Disco ( which I managed to put in a ditch in the snow because I thought 4WD made driving in the snow easier, which, without the right tyres, it doesn't necessarily do), Range Rover, old LWB LR and Shogun)

Ford Galaxy - All Wheel Drive vs bigger engine on new Galaxy - gordonbennet

Large 4x4's are not exactly made for chucking about, however my previous Landcruiser and Hilux with selectable 4WD (RWD in all normal conditions as selecting 4WD locks the centre diff) were far more skittish than the present Landcruiser with full time AWD.

I was more thinking of models like Forester/Legacy/Outlander with simple full time AWD systems which hold tremendous grip in reserve.

Each to their own though.

Edited by gordonbennet on 24/05/2015 at 11:27

Ford Galaxy - All Wheel Drive vs bigger engine on new Galaxy - Sofa Spud

If you're not sure whether or not you need the 4-wheel drive version, perhaps you might consider also whether or not you need the most powerful version!

Ford Galaxy - All Wheel Drive vs bigger engine on new Galaxy - Manatee

If you're not sure whether or not you need the 4-wheel drive version, perhaps you might consider also whether or not you need the most powerful version!

I think I'd rather have 180bhp, or 150 for that matter, and AWD than 200bhp through the front wheels.

In general I find just about all cars fast enough, and I like to knock on; though I did once have an original Galaxy (in 1996) with a 90bhp VAG 1.9 diesel - that was just a bit too 'leisurely'!

Ford Galaxy - All Wheel Drive vs bigger engine on new Galaxy - Nezza
We have the current 200 bhp Galaxy and don't find the power too much for the front wheel drive system. Saying that, I am also interested in the AWD version but disappointed that to get this you have to spec the 150 or 180 bhp model. Does not seem logical to me.

I have been stuck twice with the Galaxy, hence the interest in AWD, firstly in a muddy car park in the Yorkshire Dales, and secondly in the snow where the car is utter rubbish. We also tow a large twin axle caravan often and having the power and AWD would be spot on. Starting on a wet up hill road towing the van can be interesting.

Here's hoping Ford may reconsider the line up or even better stick the 2.2 back in with a twin turbo. Emissions targets make me think this will not happen.
Ford Galaxy - All Wheel Drive vs bigger engine on new Galaxy - Sofa Spud

double post see above :)

Edited by Sofa Spud on 24/05/2015 at 14:57