30,000 miles with an Octavia vRS estate - Oli rag

Very interesting report. On your last point, even if I could afford a new car, I think I'd buy an ex demonstrator, maybe something up to 1 year old. The initial depreciation is something I'd be keen to avoid.

40mpg for quite a big petrol estate with such good performance is really good, hardly seems worth going for the extra cost of the diesel.

30,000 miles with an Octavia vRS estate - focussed

Nothing like a first-hand report - thanks Avant.

As regards actual purchasing I have a choice of either buying an ex-demo in the UK or buying new here in France. Buying here will obviously be a left-hooker which I'm not wild about but is probably the way to go as I'm permanently resident and if I need to sell it in two to three years time will sell better here.

If the pound/euro rate stays as it is at the moment, around 1.40 or so, I can buy a new Octavia vRS estate with a few extra bells and whistles over here through one of the mandatair auto ordering sites for about the same in sterling as a 6 month old ex demo would cost in the UK without the extras.

This includes the larcenous French government registration and pollution penalty tax, which i would still have to pay if I was importing a used UK car anyway.

Then there are the costs involved in importing- flight over, hotel, short term insurance, road tax to get it to the ferry, the ferry ticket etc etc.

Then the inteminable trudging around government offices to get it registered, if they don't recognise the UK model spec on their computers it'll be a "computer says no" and have to get it inspected by another government department etc etc.

Thanks again for the long term report Avant.