1999 BMW E46 323i M54 engine - Engine Management Light does not come on! - harryburgundy

The engine management light (the engine shaped warning light, not the circular EML light which I believe is the fly by wire throttle light) DOES NOT come on when I turn the key prior the starting the car.

I have scanned the car for faults using a C110 scanner which did reveal a faulty MAF which I have since replaced...but nothing else.

I have removed the instrument console to check for any foul play but found nothing

I since performed an instrument console test check which showed that the engine light will illuminate

Now I am a bit confused/stumped

Any ideas? ECU?

Many thanks in advance

HB

1999 BMW E46 323i M54 engine - Engine Management Light does not come on! - elekie&a/c doctor
Could be an instrument pod fault.Even though the light comes on during the self test,this only proves that the light works,not the circuit within the dash.other possibles are wiring or dme / ecru fault.
1999 BMW E46 323i M54 engine - Engine Management Light does not come on! - harryburgundy

Many thanks...perhaps I can 'borrow' an instrument pod to test

Well, I've ruled out a fault with the pod. Is it possible to just buy a 2nd hand ECU unit and plug it in?
1999 BMW E46 323i M54 engine - Engine Management Light does not come on! - elekie&a/c doctor

It is possible to plug in a s/hand ecu to test the eml light,but the car will not start as it is a coded unit.