Audi A5 S Line - about to buy a 2013 Audi A5 S Line 2 litre Diesel - WaynesterUK

Hi Guys

after a nightmare with my 2013 Vauxhall Insignia Elite with only 17000 miles on her, i have had enough, the finance company are giving me all my money back, have had nothing but problems! AFL Malfunctions, creaks and noises, vibrating and whistling type! cant take anymore, a shame as i loved the car apart from that lol! not risking getting another :-(

anyway!

went to test drive a 2013 BMW 325 M SPORT with 19000 miles on the clock today, big let down, hated every minute of it! very fast yes, but horrid stiff non comfy ride and road noise i found very high... just didn't do it for me:thumbsdown: boring interior i thought

so, i`m about to go and test drive an Audi A5 S Line with 2 litre Diesel 177bhp engine, anything i`m to look out for? would you say its quiet and has low road noise? a quiet refined drive on the road is very important to me, surely gotta be better than the BMW?

the car i`m looking at is a 2013 registered car with 18000 miles on the clock, full AUDI history, it will be my first ever try in an AUDI :smile2:

it has optional extras on it, as listed below, but can any of you tell me if it has Xenon lights? and are the seats electric and move up and down, forwards and backwards? do they have a memory setting? how about auto folding wing mirrors and auto boot lid opening and closing?

how goood is the bang and olufsen media system?

the car is up for £23,299

are the A5 car reliable?

read somewhere that some Audis have oil pump problems, or maybe i read it wrong lol!? anything to look out for before buying?

here is the spec on it, what is Tech Pack (High) ??

Metallic Ice Silver with full Audi service history
comes with a long list of extras which include;

Black Nappa leather interior
heated sports seats
3 zone climate control
MMI Navigation Plus with Bluetooth interface
Audi park assist
auto lights with rain sensor
electric heated door mirrors
multi-function leather sports steering wheel
stop/start function
Tech pack (High)
piano black trim fascias
DAB digital radio
sports suspension
Bang and Olufsen sound
privacy glass
adaptive headlights
front and rear LED light technology
19" 5 arm Rotor alloy wheels.

Audi A5 S Line - about to buy a 2013 Audi A5 S Line 2 litre Diesel - jc2

With 19" wheels,ride will be nearly as hard as M Sport!

Audi A5 S Line - about to buy a 2013 Audi A5 S Line 2 litre Diesel - RobJP

With 19" wheels,ride will be nearly as hard as M Sport!

+1.

Exactly. You buy a car with 'sporty' design, suspension (S-line is Audi's version of BMW's MSport), and you are going to get rock hard 'sporty' suspension, big wheels with minimal pothole absorption, etc.

I'm not exactly why you would expect anything else ?

Edit : I've got a 2013 BMW 325d Msport estate. Mine has got the optional adaptive suspension, which, even when coupled with 19" wheels, makes the car massively better to drive. It's not crashy over bumps and potholes, it doesn't need constant steering alterations to keep it in a straight line

Edited by RobJP on 22/05/2015 at 11:20

Audi A5 S Line - about to buy a 2013 Audi A5 S Line 2 litre Diesel - 72 dudes

Yep, S Line plus 19" wheels = spine jarring ride with considerable road noise.

The A5 does sound nicely spec'd though!

In your shoes, I'd be looking at the previous Mercedes C Class. Even in Sport trim they ride well.

Alternatively, your budget will buy you a very recent Volvo S60/V60. SE Lux would be best trim choice, but the sporty R Designs also ride reasonably well. Try and stick to no more than 17" wheels generally.

Audi A5 S Line - about to buy a 2013 Audi A5 S Line 2 litre Diesel - slkfanboy

Agree with above a sports or s-line suspension by it's very name will be a firm ride. Add 19" wheels and it's not going to be smooth.

The insigna you had IMHO had a joggy ride. German car have low movement suspensions ride and will feel firm but not joggy. Hence they drive well.

Look for a non s-line/sport with 17 or 18 inch wheels and you gen a balanced ride. Personally I love BMW's for the precise drive without wheel spin. Great fun.

Audi A5 S Line - about to buy a 2013 Audi A5 S Line 2 litre Diesel - Avant

SE-sec Audis have smaller wheels and softer suspension. The Sport and S-line models come with the no-cost option of deleting the sports suspension: you'll need to search hard and make sure that option was ticked when the car was new. Walk away if the seller doesn't know.

There's a chance that someone who sensibly deleted the rock-hard sports suspension may have driven less aggressively and looked after the car better.

Audi A5 S Line - about to buy a 2013 Audi A5 S Line 2 litre Diesel - Bladerrw

I have an A6 - same year, mileage and engine as this A5.

So far it's been perfect - no problems, creaks, rattles etc. The engine is very quiet and smooth. Do try the different settings - Dynamic, efficiency, comfort because they are dramatically different.

The suspension set-ups are a personal thing. I have 17" wheels on the soft SE suspension which I find firm enough. Some people swear the S-line suspension with optional 10mm lowering and 21" wheels is fine.

I'd want a sportier suspension on an A5 than my Avant bus.

I haven't got many of those options and don't miss them but from what I've heard, the B&O sound is good, Park Assist works but is so slow nobody uses it, DAB is good, Start/stop is fine. If it's an autobox, auto lights, auto handbrake, rain sensitive wipers etc then there's not much left to do! I have to recalibrate when I get into our i10.

Note although it's got a 'full service history', it potentially won't have needed a service yet but one is imminent. Build one into the price is dealer isn't providing it.

Audi A5 S Line - about to buy a 2013 Audi A5 S Line 2 litre Diesel - bazza

As a bit of fun i went through the OP's options list to see what was important to me:

Black Nappa leather interior--.....yes, I like leather
heated sports seats--------- definitely, had these once and I miss them
3 zone climate control---- as long as there's hot and cold I'm happy
MMI Navigation Plus with Bluetooth interface...........would never use it!
Audi park assist.... would never use it
auto lights with rain sensor........ I have a switch and know when it's raining!
electric heated door mirrors........ I found these after 2 years on mine....soclearly don't need!
multi-function leather sports steering wheel........any steering wheel is fine.
stop/start function..........driven cars with it and always turn it off.....pesky annoyance
Tech pack (High)......what is that?
piano black trim fascias...... any trim is just fine!
DAB digital radio......yes, I like DAB
sports suspension......... not for my bad back thanks
Bang and Olufsen sound.....yes please!
privacy glass............ no, don't want to look like a drug dealer
adaptive headlights.......... don't know what these are but sound expensive
front and rear LED light technology .......a bulb's a bulb, don't care!
19" 5 arm Rotor alloy wheels. ........as above, not for my bad back!

So to conclude, my next car might as well be a Dacia Logan estate.

Audi A5 S Line - about to buy a 2013 Audi A5 S Line 2 litre Diesel - scot22

Apologies for posting with a question which is really a separate issue but will help my ignorance.

What effects are there from these different suspensions ?

Even I know that sport will be a very firm ride but what about

Lowered chassis or adaptive suspension ?

Thanks for any information.

Audi A5 S Line - about to buy a 2013 Audi A5 S Line 2 litre Diesel - bazza

My neighbour has this car in the very same trim, though I thinkit has 20 inch alloys. I've driven it and the ride was pretty firm though ok it has to be said. I'm fairly sure he always has it set to standard or comfort. Changing the settings certainly felt different but in my opinon on UK roads there would be no point. Maybe if you wanted to try the Nurburgring or a track day, there would be some benefit in lowered ride height and stiffened springs but not in normal use. But it's a nice car overall, a nice place to be. Sound system is great.

Audi A5 Coupe S Line VS Audi A5 2.0 coupe SE SS - Herc

HI I am new here so forgive me if I make any mistakes in posting. I am trying to find out what s difference between the Audi A5 2.0 coupe S LINE and the Audi A5 2.0 coupe SE Ss version. Mainly want to know things like heated sets electrical things and climate control etc.

Also I am trying to see if I should buy the S line which supposed to be sporty and u can feel the road and is noisier considering it is lower and some have low profile 20inch wheels. IS the switch which allows you to change to comfort mode standard on all Audi A5 and does it actually make it as comfortable as a standard Non SLINE . Appreciate any feedback as I'm about to buy either one. Thanks

Audi A5 Coupe S Line VS Audi A5 2.0 coupe SE SS - Avant

You can find the differences in specs in the car-by-car reviews on this site, and also on Audi's website.

Generally Audis have, in ascending order, SE, Sport and S-line trim levels. S-line moidels usually have larger wheels and firmer suspension, although standard suspension is a no-cost option. If youre buying used, you'd need to see what option was fitted.

If you want a comfier ride, Sport is a good option as the rest of the S-line spec is mainly cosmetic.

Edited by Avant on 31/12/2018 at 12:54