Ford Fiesta Finesse 1.3 - Wiper stalk/ column doesn't work - Petetheplum

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone could offer me some advice...

I'll try to tell this story as concisely as possible - my old car recently failed it's MOT. It's a 1998 Fiesta Mk4, 1.3 Endura, and worked out not to be economical to repair. I got a 2000 Fiesta Mk5 Finesse 1.3 to replace it, which was mostly fine, except for the fact that the indicator didn't self-cancel. I thought the indicator/ wiper sets would be interchangeable, and before scrapping the old car I would change them over. So that's what I did today. I thought it had gone fine until I realised that none of the buttons on the wiper stalk worked, on either car... The indicators, lights, horn, hazard lights work on both cars, but nothing on the wiper stalks. I then changed them back to the original cars but the wiper stalks now don't work on either...

This is now a case of wishing I'd just left it alone - not having a self-cancelling indicator is much less of an issue than no windscreen wipers!

Does anyone have any experience of this, or ideas of what would have caused it?

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Ford Fiesta Finesse 1.3 - Wiper stalk/ column doesn't work - elekie&a/c doctor

You need to be careful when replacing the wiper stalk on fiesta models,as they all look the same but in fact they are not, as the wiring connection pins are different,even though the plugs fit ok.Hopefully you have just blown a fuse.If you do decide to replace the switch,then make sure the part numbers match.

Ford Fiesta Finesse 1.3 - Wiper stalk/ column doesn't work - primus 1

Try joining the fiesta forum and post your question on there, there are lots of knowledgeable people on there who will be able to help

Ford Fiesta Finesse 1.3 - Wiper stalk/ column doesn't work - old-school-tech

The indicators not cancelling automatically is not an MOT failure, as long as they work and can be readily operated...just throwing that out there..

some ford indicator switches have the relay built into the back, so make sure that when you swapped them over you swapped the relay too.

Ford Fiesta Finesse 1.3 - Wiper stalk/ column doesn't work - Petetheplum

Thanks very much for your input all - turned out it was just a blown fuse, fortunately! I'm back where I started, which is preferable and, at the very least, I've learned a little bit by taking stuff apart/ having a tinker... The indicator not self-cancelling is no biggie, just thought I'd do it while I had the opportunity - if I do end up fixing it, I'll make sure it's from a Mk5 Fiesta/ the part numbers match!

Also managed to nab a couple of other bits while it was there - swapped a wing mirror, parcel shelf, and rear wiper casing - there's a bit less to go wrong with those!