Volvo V40 - Excessive Tyre Wear? - vowner1

Hi, Looking for advice please. Volvo V40 D2 is only at 7k miles after 12 months but the front tyres (continental) are already down to 3mm even wear. Would this be typical for this make of tyre or could it point to an alignment issue?

Many thanks

Volvo V40 - Excessive Tyre Wear? - craig-pd130

I had Conti SportContacts on my old Passat PD130 and they lasted over 30,000 miles from new, I would check the alignment.

Volvo V40 - Excessive Tyre Wear? - daveyjp
We had Ecocontacts on our Aygo. If I hadn't swapped front to back the fronts would have done about 8,000 miles. Even with a swap all four were changed at 12,000. A truly terrible tyre for that car.

If the wear is even its not an alignment problem.

Edited by daveyjp on 20/05/2015 at 20:58

Volvo V40 - Excessive Tyre Wear? - gordonbennet

Heavy footed previous driver? How do the rears compare, intheory they should still have 6 to 7mm remaining.

I too rotate on all our cars to even wear out, and as Daveyjp, the Conti's on the family Aygo didn't last particularly well, Vredestein Quatrac All Seasons not noted for high mileage have done better.

Davey, if f interest to you we picked up a set of four Uniroyal Rain Expert 3's for the Aygo a month ago from Tyreleader for £112 the lot, they sit in my garage (tyre store) awaiting the last few mm being shaved off the Vreds...don't know if the promo is still on.

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/05/2015 at 21:10

Volvo V40 - Excessive Tyre Wear? - primus 1

Do you do lots of town drivin? This can wear tyres quicker than motorway driving due to lots of steering inputs , parking ect , usually if wheel alignment is out it results in uneven tyre wear you say yours are wearing evenly

Do you do lots of town drivin? This can wear tyres quicker than motorway driving due to lots of steering inputs , parking ect , usually if wheel alignment is out it results in uneven tyre wear you say yours are wearing evenly

Thanks, Yes it's even wear across the four tyres 3mm fronts and 5mm rear. It was just a surprise to me that the tyres were so worn after so few miles.

Volvo V40 - Excessive Tyre Wear? - hillman

A work-mate once asked my opinion on excessive wear on the front tyres of his brand new top of the range Ford. I told him that the toe-in might be wrong and how to test it. When he left the company offices the road was straight with a right turn at the end. Steer round the corner as usual but when almost round the corner ease your grip on the steering wheel and watch the effect. The steering wheel should self-centre steadily and easily. If it doesn't self-centre then the wheels are toeing out too much, if it hurries to self-centre then the wheels are toeing in too much.

I didn't see him for a week or two, and when I did I asked him how the test had gone. He immediately went into indignation mode and told me that he'd done that and had been so shocked at how fast the steering wheel spun to the centre that he'd failed to see a police radar trap and had gone through it at 40 mph. He blamed me for having to pay a speeding fine. Yes, when he'd had the toe-in checked the wheels had been toeing in by 3 inches

Thanks for the reply. I've no history on the previous owner. I'm in final stages of purchase with the dealer (independant) The rears are at 5mm - same tyres. I'll probably go ahead and put straight into a main dealer for a full alignment check just to be sure. Not sure what that would cost but I'll check in the morning.

Heavy footed previous driver? How do the rears compare, intheory they should still have 6 to 7mm remaining.

I too rotate on all our cars to even wear out, and as Daveyjp, the Conti's on the family Aygo didn't last particularly well, Vredestein Quatrac All Seasons not noted for high mileage have done better.

Davey, if f interest to you we picked up a set of four Uniroyal Rain Expert 3's for the Aygo a month ago from Tyreleader for £112 the lot, they sit in my garage (tyre store) awaiting the last few mm being shaved off the Vreds...don't know if the promo is still on.

Hi, Thanks - I'm new to this forum business so probably making a mess of the replies!. The rears have 5mm even across the two. No history on the previous owner. Even heavy footed it felt excessive. I hope that the worse is that the alignment / geometry could be out which I guess a main dealer could rectify.

Cheers

Volvo V40 - Excessive Tyre Wear? - daveyjp
Thanks for the tip, but The Aygo is long gone. I swapped the Contis for Toyos which after 8,000 miles were barely touched.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. That was my first thought. I'll probably go ahead and buy and get the alignment checked straight away.

Volvo V40 - Excessive Tyre Wear? - 72 dudes

I'd proceed with caution.

You haven't yet bought a car which has just 3mm on the front tyres and only 5mm on the rears, yet it has allegedly done just 7000 miles.

The fronts I could undertand (at a pinch) but not the rears. Rear tyres on a front wheel drive car should last 30k.

Do your homework very carefully. Is it possible this car has been clocked?

Volvo V40 - Excessive Tyre Wear? - RobJP

I'd proceed with caution.

You haven't yet bought a car which has just 3mm on the front tyres and only 5mm on the rears, yet it has allegedly done just 7000 miles.

The fronts I could undertand (at a pinch) but not the rears. Rear tyres on a front wheel drive car should last 30k.

Do your homework very carefully. Is it possible this car has been clocked?

Yeah. I'd be rather dubious on that myself. That tyre wear (especially on a low-ish powered diesel) would ring the same alarm bells.

My BMW 325d estate has done 22k now, I checked the tyres last weekend. Fronts (it is RWD) have got 5-6mm, backs about 4.5mm. And I don't hang about.

Volvo V40 - Excessive Tyre Wear? - cilvilservant

I have a 2014 V40 D3 and I can assure you this rate of degradation is not typical of the model. The previous owner must have driven the car harshly.

Volvo V40 - Excessive Tyre Wear? - gordonbennet

I wonder if the tyres and wheels came from another car, swapped for any one of dozens of reasons, hopefully not including clocking.

I could understand the fronts being down to 3mm at 7k if driven hard, but the rears i would have expected to still be between 6 and 7mm.