Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - colt48

Does anyone know how the new generation of small petrol engines will last? will they still be going without trouble at 150,000 miles plus. I am thinking of cars such as the Focus/Fiesta with the 1.0 litre turbo or a Fiat 500 with less than 1000cc. Surely they must be stressed more than the old conventional type of petrol engine. I have been keeping my cars for over 100,000 miles and was thinking that my next car could be a small eco boost type if they last that long.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - Wackyracer

I'm very sceptical about the lifetime of these 3 cylinder engines. Both the vauxhall and VW 3 cylinder offerings have not faired well in recent years.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - gordonbennet

They can't be any worse than the 1.6 Diesel of Doom, if the maker has started using wing nuts on the turbo/super chargers then you know there's going to be problems.

Rearrange broke it fix if aint don't it

Do makers still offer safe bet boring normal decent torque NA petrol engines in such cars any more, surely a 1.8 or 2.0 petrol engine is still the sensible choice unless you're a company and/or high mileage or inner LondonHell global warming taxed driver...the figures for these new designs look wonderful until...as in the case of the 1.6 Diesel of Doom highlighting...it aint so.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - carl233

It all comes down to expectations really and the servicing, for these engines to last for the long haul an interim oil change should be done at half way through the official service interval. They do have a cast iron bottom end which indicates an almost old school design. I have doubts about the longevity of the timing belt which is 'designed for the life of the engine' according to Ford. It is a timing belt that is bathed in oil.

Will they be as durable as previous Ford engines such as the Zetec-e which has been known to cover over 300k miles without a rebuild I think it is doubtful.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - focussed

The timing belt in oil is originally a technology introduced by Honda on their small industrial engines it seems to work for them along with a camshaft made from an engineering plastic-I've got one, its 35 cc ohc about 2.5 hp and powering my strimmer.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - TedCrilly

Back in 1930 Ford needed 2lts to give 28hp in their Model A. I wonder what buyers back then would have said at the suggestion of a reliable 100hp from 1.6lts by the turn of the century.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - piggy

Personally,I will wait until these engines have been around a few years and their reliability or otherwise proven. As the Americans say "you can't beat cubic inches".

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - corax

You will have your answer after a few years, when the European Car of the Year award is a distant fading memory, and the actual engineering starts to make itself known.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - daveyK_UK

Any idea how much for charge for a new 1.0 engine?

Might be cost effective to change the engine at 80,000 - 100,000 miles

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - slkfanboy

Well small engines are nothing new and Turbo's will be Turbo's and go wrong. My SLK 5.4 litre engine like other big engines (Ive had) will most likely out last the rest of the car without issue, but then it spends most of it like ticking over at 1500rpm regardless of speed etc. Small engine needs more rev's and wizing up to 3000-4000 rpm on the motorway etc. Spinning faster means more ware and stress and more problems. Over the year this has been countered to some desgree by better quality and design.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - focussed

Engine wear is not directly related to RPM - it is more a factor of mean piston speed, a long stroke engine at slow rpm's can have quite a high mean piston speed and by comparison a smaller higher revving engine can have quite a low or equivalent mean piston speed by virtue of having a shorter stroke.

Edited by focussed on 19/05/2015 at 17:48

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - madf

The original Yaris had a 4cylinder 1.0 petrol engine. Notoriously tough even when seriously neglected. No oil changes tended to ruin the timing chain which cost (incl labour) c £500 to change... (factual) . 200k miles achievable easily with scheduled maintenance.

Neglect a turbo enghine and apart from a broken turbo, you may have bits of vane in the engine and oil in teh turbo air ducts and intercooler. So bills incl labour of c £1200,, (Guesstimate) or possibly more.

No idea bout timing bits..

Given Ford's proensity to cost engineer down to a minimum, I would expect other issues..

I see mpg in real life is c 40% below quoted levels.. Makes buying one an expensive pastime

Edited by madf on 19/05/2015 at 18:01

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - John F

I have doubts about the longevity of the timing belt which is 'designed for the life of the engine' according to Ford. It is a timing belt that is bathed in oil.

Why? Sounds reasonable to me. I have always thought the belt would last the life of the engine and have been mocked for my practice of applying belt dressing every so often. Perhaps we should be oiling them?

There is a regular supply of expensive horror stories of cam/auxiliary belt/engine failures fairly soon after a perfectly good belt has been changed.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - skidpan

Why? Sounds reasonable to me. I have always thought the belt would last the life of the engine and have been mocked for my practice of applying belt dressing every so often. Perhaps we should be oiling them?

Have you perhaps considered that Ford has manufactured the belt to run in oil. Normal belts are damaged if contaminated by oil and must be changed immediately.

As for belt dressing it amazing how gullible people are. Had my first belt cam engine back in 1976 and since then i have never used any of these dressings. Just changed them at the specified intervals and never had an issue.

As for small turbo petrol engines I think they are great. The 1.4 TSI in my Leon is without doubt the best petrol engine I have ever driven. Diesel torque with a petrol power range with no lag whatsoever. At 70 mph on the motorway its doing 2500 rpm so its hardly stressed, had normally aspirated 2 litres back in the 70's that were doing about 4000 rpm at 70 mph and they lasted with no issues.

Edited by skidpan on 19/05/2015 at 18:39

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - John F

Have you perhaps considered that Ford has manufactured the belt to run in oil.

Indeed I have. I would be fascinated to learn what difference there is in its ingredients. Most appear to me made of fibreglass and/or metal reinforced synthetic rubber - butyl, nylon etc. Some of these synthetics must be impervious to oil degradation - they are extensively used as guides in chain-cam engines. Perhaps an expert can enlighten us.

In the meantime, despite the opprobrium, I shall continue use my ancient belt dressing - the educated gamble has served me well so far - many hundreds of thousands of miles of cam-belt servicing costs saved; plus the risk of a broken engine after cack-handed replacement with an inferior product. And I shall only change the long-life oil in the unstressed chain-cam Audi after 2yrs when it might have done around 12,000m.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - carl233

I cannot really concur with the advise of dressing belts, a common theme for timing belt related issues on Ford Zetec-s and Zetec-e engines is the tensioner heating up and falling to bits. Putting oil on a belt in addition that is not designed to run under such conditions is likely to cause major issues, as contamination of traditional belts with oil makes them weaker.

If a belt is replaced with a full kit including the tensioner it seems to be the most sensible strategy in terms of risk.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - Mike H

Does anyone know how the new generation of small petrol engines will last?

Of course not, it's all computer prediction and pre-production testing. We will only "know" when a statistically significant number of small petrol engines have been on the road for the appropriate timescales. Bigger engines with lower stress can produce better fuel consumption and longer life. Anecdotally. none of these small engines give their predicted fuel consumption in real life, because they are worked harder by the average man in the street. Will that affect their life? We can only guess.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - primus 1

Does anyone know how the new generation of small petrol engines will last?

Of course not, it's all computer prediction and pre-production testing. We will only "know" when a statistically significant number of small petrol engines have been on the road for the appropriate timescales. Bigger engines with lower stress can produce better fuel consumption and longer life. Anecdotally. none of these small engines give their predicted fuel consumption in real life, because they are worked harder by the average man in the street. Will that affect their life? We can only guess.

In fairness none of the quoted mpg figures are anywhere near real life motoring , I guess its all down to how cars are driven / looked after that will decide their longevity

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - drd63

And of course one of the world's largest car makers wouldn't bother to test their product thoroughly nor would modern materials and manufacturing process make any difference to longevity??

The bigger issue is that at this price point margin are low and alternatives many. Ford are let face it alway the average car and therefore have to build to a spec & price point. Even BMW quote 125Kilometers(70k miles) for clutches and other major components, so the way forward is less rather than more.

While interest rates are low selling new cars on 3year or less lease deals is all they care about.

Which is great for me as a 3year old focus 1.6 with less than 30K on the clock FSH and good condition can be had for around 8K. And thats important because the biggest running cost is still depreciation not fuel costs. So if you keep the car 2/3 years are you going to be far off 60-70K miles?

And of course one of the world's largest car makers wouldn't bother to test their product thoroughly nor would modern materials and manufacturing process make any difference to longevity??

ROFL.

This is teh maker which sold cars with an auto tansmission system which broke after three years due to being designed to handle less than the engine's torque..

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/ford-c-max-cvts/

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - gordonbennet

They didn't test the 1.6 Diesel of Doom enough either, but not to worry hundreds if not thousands of disappointed customers did it for them, at their own cost too, excellent cost cutting.

If you have a spare day, you could read the several hundred post thread on this very forum.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - Avant

"Do makers still offer safe bet boring normal decent torque NA petrol engines in such cars any more, surely a 1.8 or 2.0 petrol engine is still the sensible choice ......"

I think the 2.0 engine in various Mazdas is un-turbocharged, if there is such a word. Sounds good but I must try one: the road tests suggest a lack of low-down torque which is such a briliant feature of the 2.0 TSI in my Octavia, and the 1.4 TSI in Skidpan's Leon.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - skidpan

I think the 2.0 engine in various Mazdas is un-turbocharged, if there is such a word.

The 2.0 petrol in the Mazda 3 (and 6) is indeed normally aspirated.

Sounds good but I must try one: the road tests suggest a lack of low-down torque which is such a briliant feature of the 2.0 TSI in my Octavia, and the 1.4 TSI in Skidpan's Leon.

I tried a Mazda 3 when I bought the Leon. On paper it looked really good and as far as looks go I still prefer it the Leon.

BUT

On the road it was truly carp. After years of turbo diesels it left me wondering where the power was. In the real world the 1.4 TSi is truly astonishing for both performance and economy.

They didn't test the 1.6 Diesel of Doom enough either

As for that type of comment about the Ford 1.6 TDCi I think people need to take a reality check.

There have been hundreds of thousands of these engines fitted in Fords, Citroens, Peugeots, Mazdas, Volvos Minis and probably others as well. There have been some failures but since most have been down to blocked oil ways its fair to say no servicing or poor servicing using the wrong oil and filter will not have helped. The actual percentage that have failed is tiny. We had one for 5 years and had no issues. The chap who bought it form us still has it 5 years later and still no trouble. But its always been serviced regularly using the correct oil and filter.

Edited by skidpan on 20/05/2015 at 17:50

The secret of a good engine is its ability to withstand abuse at the hands of dumb owners...

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - kiss (keep it simple)

Absolutely right Ma*** Apparently the prototype class 50 diesel locomotive (DP1), when in service, ran very reliably, mainly because the fluids were checked and replaced at the appropriate intervals. Once the production models entered service and maintenance was cut back it was a different story.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - kiss (keep it simple)

Sorry I made typo, it should read DP2

Both VW & Ford a more or less moving in the same direct. VM centre around a 1.4 unit. Ford has made good progress with 1.0L EcoBoost & 1.5 EcoBoost. Both have engineer out there 1.6 units with smaller unit with better torque prefiles gone is a slowly raised to a peak torgue in is a flat torque accross a range or rev's. VW 1500-3000 ford 1500-4000rpm

Both have engineer much better cooling system, so VW control the turbo temp. <1000 degree and fords have extra cooling fins in the block.

So both have around an extra 20% fuel saving and should last to spec. Very unlikely to take incorrect serving lightly as both turbo based designs.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - Ed V

Many of the responses above, like mine would be too, are guesswork.

Do no mechanical experts, or retired manufacturers' employees, not read this site? Could they not valuably contribute, without breaking confidences.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - balleballe

A friend of mine had had two clutches/flywheels replaced in the 25k he's had an focus ecoboost. Common fault apparantly. Forget the longevity of the engine, they need to sort the clutch first.

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - pharmacierelais

I totally agree xxxx en France

Edited by Avant on 22/08/2018 at 19:47

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - FP

I totally agree xxxx en France"

Imbécile. Spam français chez un site web anglais - intelligent, non?

Edited by Avant on 22/08/2018 at 19:48

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - Mike H

Didn't spot that this was a spam resurrection of an old thread. But I don't think we're nearer an answer.

Edited by Mike H on 22/08/2018 at 19:29

Ford Focus - longevity of current small petrol engines - Big John

Didn't spot that this was a spam resurrection of an old thread. But I don't think we're nearer an answer.

The original thread was pre dieselgate - How times have changed! Small cc petrol engine becoming popular. Re longevity - can't comment too much myself as I've only done 62,000 miles in my 14 plate 1.4tsi Superb - however thus far it has been faultless , very economical (my overall real life average is 45.8mpg) and doesn't need topping up with oil between it's 10,000 mile services.

As a few years have passed by since the original post it would be interesting to see how some high mileage small cc powerful engines have fared - any high milers out there?