Vauxhall Astra 1.6 2004 8v petrol - Engine rattle and losing power - XI Dora IX
i need some help as do not know much about cars however my engine seems to be rattling when I am driving but worse when stationary and is getting worse it is making my car sound like a diesel. Also my car I struggling to gain speed when pulling away and going up hill. Could any one please give some advice as I don't have the money to pay garage prices. Plus I use my car daily as need it to get to work. Only means of transport Many thanks in advance.

Edited by XI Dora IX on 05/05/2015 at 18:40

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 2004 8v petrol - Engine rattle and losing power - elekie&a/c doctor

As a very basic check,have you looked at the oil level on the dipstick and the coolant in the expansion tank.All info will be in the owners handbook.

Yeah all checked and seem to be fine
Vauxhall Astra 1.6 2004 8v petrol - Engine rattle and losing power - Railroad.
Is this rattle occurring at regular intervals? If so it could be camshaft failure, which if worn excessively could then lead to an engine misfire. Remove the cam cover and inspect.
The Rattle is constant but worse when stationary and I don't know how to remove cam cover as I don't know much about cars so would not know what to do
Vauxhall Astra 1.6 2004 8v petrol - Engine rattle and losing power - Fernando P

You need help from someone with practical mechanical knowledge who can listen to the engine sound, understand what is going on and advise accordingly. It is very difficult, in the circumstances, to give you good advice without this being done.