Mercedes 350Sl 2003 (R230) - Mercedes Command 2.0 Sat Nav - Martyn007

I have a Mercedes 350SL 2003 (R230) fitted with a Command 2.0 Sat Nav system.

It has always worked perfectly.

Recently the Alternator failed, the Red Battery warning light came on and initially the vehicle carried on driving with no difficulty.

Half an hour later additional warming lights for ABS, Brakes etc… came on and the powered steering stopped. Obviously the Alternator was not assisting the electrical power required to run the vehicle.

I had a new Alternator fitted, and the warning notifications cancelled.

Everything works fine on the car save for the Sat Nav which initially operated with a current location address 60 Km away. Now there is no screen movement and it says that the vehicle is “off road”.

I have activated Sys, Mute plus holding down buttons 1 and 3 and the Version Menu, followed by the Infos Menu.

The Infos Menu states “GPS : 0 Sat” and the Battery voltage flucturates.

I have removed fuses 77 and 57 from the rear fuse box. Fuse 77 switched the unit off. I am not sure what fuse 57 did. I left the system for 5 minutes, and then replaced the fuses.

There has been no change in the present position and there is still 0 Satellites on the Infos menu.

I tried resetting the system but there was no change.

Do you have any suggestions as to what may be wrong? Clearly is must be connected to the Alternator failure.

Mercedes 350Sl 2003 (R230) - Mercedes Command 2.0 Sat Nav - elekie&a/c doctor
May be worth trying a battery disconnect procedure to see if that resumes the system.There are 2 batteries on these,one in the engine bay (starter battery) and the auxiliary battery in the boot.