Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - Trilogy

.....................before we are forced to. I doubt the numpty politicians etc will take into account the fact some diesels run on recycled veggie oil.

www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/diesel-cars-could-be-b...p

I wonder if people will be given fair market value?

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - brum

Second thread on same "news item" tonight.

As I replied earlier, all the ruling states is that the government need to write a plan by the end of this year. No mention of implementation time frame from what I see.

The bigger question is who will win the election (if anyone) and what tax surprises await.

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - Wackyracer

Very interesting that the target is on diesels and yet cars such as Skoda's Octavia Greenline are in the lowest VED band so you don't pay any road tax and they were also exempt from the London congestion charge due to falling below the 100g/km emmisions target.

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - FP

"....due to falling below the 100g/km emmisions target."

That is not (now) the point. The pollution issue has moved way beyond CO2. Beyond, even, particulates.

Diesels managed (just) to keep up with the lower emissions of petrol engines in respect of CO2, then particulates, but at the cost of complex exhaust systems.

Now they could be screwed, because NOx is seen as the problem, and diesels produce a relatively large amount of it.

This is controlled by EGR techniques in both petrol and diesel engines, but this has proved inadequate in the latter. Ironically, EGR tends to result in increased particulate production in diesels.

Diesel exhaust, as it stands, has been identified as "probably carcinogenic".

Things have moved a long way since I drove my beloved diesel Peugeot 306 HDi, which had a catalytic converter in the exhaust system and nothing else. What a lovely engine - economical, cheap to maintain and fun to drive! The first diesel car I had and the last.

"....due to falling below the 100g/km emmisions target."

That is not (now) the point. The pollution issue has moved way beyond CO2. Beyond, even, particulates.

My point is they were at one time regarded as being cleaner than petrol.

Diesels managed (just) to keep up with the lower emissions of petrol engines in respect of CO2, then particulates, but at the cost of complex exhaust systems.

Not quite true, My old diesel IDI has lower CO2 emmisions than my Astra.

Edited by Wackyracer on 01/05/2015 at 13:31

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - slkfanboy

ery interesting that the target is on diesels and yet cars such as Skoda's Octavia Greenline are in the lowest VED band so you don't pay any road tax and they were also exempt from the London congestion charge due to falling below the 100g/km emmisions target.

Surely this is the Reason the EU are imposing the fine the VED favour diesels when it should not. please note the ruling was based on NO2 and not CO2.

The currently Euro 6 standard means that diesel emisions are the same as petrols with the exception of CO2 where a petrol engine is allowed more, but point being both meet the Euro 6 standard and therefore should be taxed the same

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - Andrew-T

I wonder if people will be given fair market value?

How would you assess that if 'we are forced to' ? The market wouldn't want them would they? A bit like compulsory purchase I suppose.

I doubt they will go down the subsidised scrapping route, more likely they will just price them off the road by making it very expensive to run them.

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - Big John

Re last scrappage scheme the cost of the subsidised scrapping usually cancelled out by the VAT income of the new purchase

Edited by Big John on 01/05/2015 at 22:43

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - Sofa Spud

If there's any co-ercion by government to move drivers away from diesel cars, I don't think it will be back towards petrol ones, but more likely towards electric cars - either pure electric or range extender hybrids.

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - jgrahampo

yes because there is a complete disregard to the needs of people that live in relatively remote rural areas where there is no alternative to a combustion engined motor car.

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - gordonbennet

The latest tax grab, it's been on the cards for some time now, anyone who subjects themselves to MSM propaganda must have noticed the increasing number of exhaust polution articles over the last few years.

It's the new global warming scam.

There's always an alternative, worry about it when it arrives.

There might be a few surprises come the end of next week, and the EU's (Germany's) days of dictatorship, without a shot being fired this time, could be numbered with a bit of luck.

Rural areas? another 20 years of EU membership and there won't be much of anything rural left, except for the leafy Cotswolds where those currently mismanaging the country for the EU live.

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - Bolt

The latest tax grab, it's been on the cards for some time now, anyone who subjects themselves to MSM propaganda must have noticed the increasing number of exhaust polution articles over the last few years.

It's the new global warming scam.

There's always an alternative, worry about it when it arrives.

There might be a few surprises come the end of next week, and the EU's (Germany's) days of dictatorship, without a shot being fired this time, could be numbered with a bit of luck.

Rural areas? another 20 years of EU membership and there won't be much of anything rural left, except for the leafy Cotswolds where those currently mismanaging the country for the EU live.

Last I read, global warming still has not been proved to be our fault and experts reckon it occurs naturally every 12k years as climates shift around the globe

They should, if they think its our fault, have done something about it when it was warned about in the 70s, so they only have themselves to blame for it getting out of control

But as usual wait untill it gets bad then panick :_)

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - Engineer Andy

Probably for the best in terms of cars in towns and cities - hopefully there will be some wasy of allowing country people, and particularly the farming community, to be allowed diesel cars without any penalty, so they can continue their much needed (for everyone) careers.

What a shame that the Labour Government (at the behest of Gordon Brown, possibly with a certain Mr. Milliband and Mr. Balls whispering in his ear at the time) didn't read ALL the scientific reports on diesel engines when they introduced the vehicles tax changes to be CO2-based, when scientific reports of the harmful effects of NO2 and particulates generally had been available since the mid 90s.

IMO the next 'big thing' (a bit too early in my view for commercially-viable fuel cell vehicles yet - maybe in 10-20 years time) in car technology will be the development of longer-lasting, smaller and less environmentally-unfriendly batteries and other electricity storage media. Toyota led the way for a long time, but now everyone else (Tesla, BMW i8/McLaren/Porsche) is beginning to catch up now that the technology is becoming more mature.

In a way, I'm glad that F1 has 'gone green' (and the development of the foruma e as well), as quite a lot of that technology eventually ends up in normal road cars.

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - grimep

If the country votes UKIP in next week we'll get out from under the EU jackboot and no longer have to follow their mad policies.

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - Smileyman

even if UKIP do well they won't have more than 3 or 4 seats, it's by no means certain the UK would vote to leave the EU, and even if it did the EU rules will still apply for those left behind so UK may well be impacted by their mad policies ... I'm not an EU fan but would want a long hard think before making any decisions

for diesels, the latest technology to improve emissions needs to be stand the test of time before any decision can be made

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - mss1tw

for diesels, the latest technology to improve emissions needs to be stand the test of time before any decision can be made

Looking at it's previous record... :-/

Looks like cars.bikes are going the same way as commercials, have to renew roughly every 5 years to keep ahead of the emission legislation or penalties as in LEZ for visiting Hell (London) in a non LEZ compliant vehicle.

Fortunately 5 years is about the max time they last before massive costs following breakdowns start mounting up so it's become an established pattern now (very few operators pay out to overhaul engines/gearboxes or fit exhaust cleaners @ £thousands)...visit Tilbury/Southampton/Sheerness and you'll see the hundreds of 5 year old lorries heading off for pastures new where i have no doubt all that emission faff will be removed or by-passed.

So long as you don't drive in cities and manage to avoid the most heavily penalised vehicles it should be possible to continue running older cars for some time yet...

..keep your reliable cars well maintained and as rust free as possible, you never know what the next politician with a name to make will agree to on the greasy pole.

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - Andrew-T

If the country votes UKIP in next week we'll get out from under the EU jackboot and no longer have to follow their mad policies.

... just follow UKIP's mad policies instead.

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - daveyK_UK

Back on topic, I do agree with the OP that is could be a good time to get rid of the diesel as you will want to be ahead of the crowd.

With a heavy heart, I'm going to look at getting rid of my diesel berlingo multispace, I don't want to be lumbered in 2 or 3 months time when the masses knee jerk to an inevitable political statement that diesel taxes are going up.

Better to be front of the queue now and get a petrol as no doubt petrol values are likely to rise.

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - mss1tw
With a heavy heart, I'm going to look at getting rid of my diesel berlingo multispace, I don't want to be lumbered in 2 or 3 months time when the masses knee jerk to an inevitable political statement that diesel taxes are going up.

What engine does it have?

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - Ballyclover
In the situation of needing a new car with in the week (used). Wanted diesel now not so sure best way to go
Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - Sofa Spud

1) The country will not vote UKIP next week.

2) We are not under an 'EU jackboot'

3) EU policies are not mad.

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - brum

1) The country will not vote UKIP next week.

2) We are not under an 'EU jackboot'

3) EU policies are not mad.

Keep taking the medication sir, and remember, the BBC is your friend......

Back on topic again,

what will the likes of VW and Hyundai do now they only sell the Passat and i40 with a diesel engine in the UK?

Perhaps time to get rid of the diesel............. - groaver

what will the likes of VW and Hyundai do now they only sell the Passat and i40 with a diesel engine in the UK?

I don't think the current i40/Optima have never been sold in petrol form in the UK, have they?

It always put me off looking at them even though I like the Kia's styling.

VW are taking a short-sighted view in my opinion although I appreciate that the fleet market rules everything motoring here unfortunately.

It always put me off looking at them even though I like the Kia's styling.

VW are taking a short-sighted view in my opinion although I appreciate that the fleet market rules everything motoring here unfortunately.

Isn't that the truth, fleet and company sales seem to be the only criteria in this segment, make for truly boring cars.

Optima could have been so different, a spectularly good looking car saddled with virtually the same one and only running spec as everything else in its class.

I agree,

the Optima is the best looking saloon on the market, but as it doesnt come in a petrol I didnt even consider it.

They did sell a handful of i40 1.6 petrols, but they are very rare and they no longer do a petrol option.