2007 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 90BHP - 1.6 Ford Focus turbo power loss - J-Focus

Hello all,

I had the standard Ford Focus turbo failure. I'm pretty sure it was due to a blocked oil strainer. I went for the refurbished BTN turbo with the fitting kit including the new oil feed pipe, banjo bolts, gaskets and copper seals. I also changed the oil filter and changed the oil after having totally cleaned out the sump. I cleaned basically any pipe that was going to or from the turbo.

I have just been testing it today and it's certainly working, but way down in power. It just doesn't give the boost it used to. If I put it in 3rd and floor it, it is very unresponsive.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Joel

2007 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 90BHP - 1.6 Ford Focus turbo power loss - Richie Boro

Have you checked obvious stuff like boost leak from a loose hose etc?

From memory these have a solenoid controlled wastegate via vac pipes, are they on correctly?

Vac pipes are on yeh. I was looking online to see if anyone supplies new vac pipes but I can't see a supplier. It would be worth a try to change them incase they've failed somewhere. Looks like they connect in round the back of the engine though which will be tricky to get at.

It's pouring down outside just now so will have a look tomorrow about the other pipes, but I was pretty careful about tightening clamps etc. Will let you know, thanks

So all pipes are on correctly. I am at a loss on this one. Are there any other possibilities for a lack in power?

2007 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 90BHP - 1.6 Ford Focus turbo power loss - dieselnut

Although the vac pipes are ok, is there a good vacuum reaching the turbo controller with the engine running.

Do I test this by just disconnecting the vacum pipe and feeling for suction or is there a more technical way?

I had the car plugged in to a friends 'snap on' diagnostic tester and there were no fault codes showing. He notcied that the turbo is spinning when simply idling. Is that normal or not? I have suspicion that its the turbo reuglator valve but don't want to spend £50 for one till I'm sure that's the issue. I think I'm getting close to sorting this one! Thanks for all the advice thus far :)

2007 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 90BHP - 1.6 Ford Focus turbo power loss - dieselnut

You should be able to feel the suction with your finger but would need a guage to check if it was correct.

No suction would mean you need to check further back towards the vacuum pump.