Jaguar X Type Diesal - Turbo failure - JBC

I bought my car 2 months 10 days ago, it has a 3 month warranty which includes the Turbo which has just failed. I now notice the warranty is limited to £500.

Is the dealer liable for the full cost of repair which will be citca £1000 or should I grin and bear it and be grateful I'll get a contribution?

Edited by JBC on 21/04/2015 at 09:35

Jaguar X Type Diesal - Turbo failure - pd

Depends on how old and how many miles it has done.

If it is a 2009 with 25k then the dealer probably bears some responsibility. If it is a 2005 with 100k then they can simply argue the turbo has reached the end of its life and they are not responsible.

No harm in asking them if they will help out.

Edited by pd on 21/04/2015 at 10:00

Jaguar X Type Diesal - Turbo failure - JBC

Thanks for posting - It is a 2009 model with 43,000 miles. I suspect the low mileage indicates the previous owner did mainly small runs in which case carbon build up hasnt helped.

Does anyone have views about dealers restricting liability in warranties, are they absolute and unquestionable after purchase?

Jaguar X Type Diesal - Turbo failure - slkfanboy

Sales of good act offers less opt. outs and maybe a better route than the warranty.

Jaguar X Type Diesal - Turbo failure - RobJP

That's right on the margins. It's a 6 year old car. Technically, you should be able to force the dealer to pay for the entire repair. However, you're far more likely to have to really push hard (as in Small Claims Court) for that to happen.

I'd see what it's going to cost to get done, and then see what sort of contribution the selling garage was prepared to make, before making any decisions.

Bear this in mind : All the oil feed pipes for the turbo will probably be clogged up with carbonised oil too. If ONLY the turbo is changed, then you're likely to have another blown turbo in a few months. The pipes MUST be changed too. That obviously adds more costs, and if you're getting the job done by the selling garage, then they're (probably) going to do the job 'on the cheap'.

Jaguar X Type Diesal - Turbo failure - MrsFawkes

The turbo has just gone on our Jaguar X Type Diesel. It's a 58 plate, we bought it from a local dealer - it was 3 years old. The clutch went before we'd had it a year and now the turbo has gone. Being quoted somewhere in the region of £2k - is that right? Worried about the pipes mention too. Garage didn't mention that. I do like our wee garage, but that seems a lot. Will get more accurate price tomorrow, but should I ask around. Don't want Ford part - asked him to check out something better. This is the worst car we've had by far and never buying Jaguar again. We would trade it in, but it's cost us a fortune if you break the purchase cost, the excessive repairs,expensive servicing, expensive Pirelli tyres and constant brakes and pads down to an annual cost. Not worth it. We would trade it in, but we've just bought another nearly new car - cash - and we were hoping to get the Jag up to 10 years. Mechanic doesn't think there's anything other than front pads and discs about to need done, but can't guarantee that, obviously. Are all cars expensive crap nowadays? :(

Jaguar X Type Diesal - Turbo failure - daveyjp

The turbo won't be a Ford part. Chances are it will be a Borg Warner.

Unfortunately you are experiencing the perils of modern diesel. I had an X type very breifly - 18 months in I knew it was going to be a money pit. It ate tyres and EGR valves so I quickly sold it.

My daughter's school friend parents have just had to have a new turbo on a 57 reg C max with 55,000 miles. He bought a diesel to save money on fuel -the four figures cost of flywheel, EGR and turbo repairs in the last 12 months have somewhat offset any savings he has from doing 40mpg rather than 30mpg for the few thousand miles a year they do.

Jaguar X Type Diesal - Turbo failure - galileo

constant brakes and pads -----------------------we were hoping to get the Jag up to 10 years. Mechanic doesn't think there's anything other than front pads and discs about to need done, but can't guarantee that, obviously. Are all cars expensive crap nowadays? :(

How many miles have you done to each set of discs/pads? My Hyundai is still on original discs, original pads only half worn after 47000 miles. (I don't drive slowly either!)

Jaguar X Type Diesal - Turbo failure - RT

constant brakes and pads -----------------------we were hoping to get the Jag up to 10 years. Mechanic doesn't think there's anything other than front pads and discs about to need done, but can't guarantee that, obviously. Are all cars expensive crap nowadays? :(

How many miles have you done to each set of discs/pads? My Hyundai is still on original discs, original pads only half worn after 47000 miles. (I don't drive slowly either!)

My Santa Fe's the same, pads half worn at 50,000 miles - and it's 2 tonnes do get driven like I stole it on occasions, in between lugging a big tin shed around.

Jaguar X Type Diesal - Turbo failure - JakeV
I want to see what is needed to do, and then see what kind of contribution to garage sales is prepared to do, before taking any decision.
Jaguar X Type Diesal - Turbo failure - bernie123

"My turbo has failed" is a pretty sweeping statement. Do you know exactly what has failed ? Is it making a horrible noise, not boosting, going into limp mode ?

There are somethings that might suggest it has failed but maybe it is another small, less costly part that needs replacing. Example: My car, a VW TDI went into limp mode a few years ago on the motorway with the engine management light on and very little power. An unscrupulous garage might have said, sorry sir, new turbo. I am lucky in that I am experienced in the workings of lots of mechanical things and on investigation it turned out that a vacuum pipe to the turbo had a hole where a previous mechanic at the main dealer has not clipped it into place and it rubbed against a metal part.

New bit of vacuum hose and all has been well for nigh on 5 years. If looked after with regular oil and filter changes, there is no reason a turbo cannot last for the life of the engine.

At least, get a second opinion from a garage you can trust.

Jaguar X Type Diesal - Turbo failure - gordonbennet

If looked after with regular oil and filter changes, there is no reason a turbo cannot last for the life of the engine.

Oh Bernie, a man after me own heart, be careful on your way home mind they'll get you for that...whats that? a bit of sensible and cheap regular care? they'll have kittens if people listen cos their current cars (all vehicles) would last donkeys years.

I've covered around and probably over 3 million miles now, the vast majority of which have been in turbo Diesels and i'm yet to have a turbo failure...they tell us that the warm up cool down routine is no longer valid apparently, modern engines better tolerances special turbo cooling blah blah...well they would say that but its funny how we get regular turbo failures now.

Jaguar X Type Diesal - Turbo failure - nortones2
Possibly because for many the bits under the bonnet are overlooked.
Hence low oil levels, unchanged oils and other confounding factors that make an early demise more likely.
Jaguar X Type Diesal - Turbo failure - DirtyDieselDogg

OH well, can I claim to be a turbo God as well, cos like the posters above, I take it for granted, that the turbo should be good for the life of the engine, in a car leastwise.

change oil at the manufucturer recommended intervals, not any sooner, use the correct grade of oil, nothing better needed, and pull the dipstick once a month or so, oftener if required, and after working the engine hard or hot, let the turbo simmer down, only put 253,000 on the VW Galaxy turbo, quite untouched, and apparently still at least 90-95%, if not perhaps 100%.

Common sense aka mechanical sympathy is apparently relatively uncommon

m

Jaguar X Type Diesal - Turbo failure - RT
Common sense aka mechanical sympathy is apparently relatively uncommon

m

It's almost non-existent !

Jaguar X Type Diesal - Turbo failure - injection doc

Mrs fawkes

If your jaguar needs pads and discs at under 50 k its obviously being driven unsympathectically which in turn will be hard on turbos etc.

My 2.0 d jaguar and my 2.2 turbo d jaguar did well in excess of 120 k before it needed pads & discs and never needed turbo or EGR valves.

Both my Diesel jags were brilliant, one had a headlamp bulb and a boot lock & tyres the other one only tyres

Drive a diesel gently when its cold, allow the engine to cool down ticking over for at least a minuet before switching off and buy decent quality diesel fuel ! I aslo very very rarley indeed did I ever exceed 2500rpm. 3k on the odd occasion.

make sure tghey are regularly serviced with very high quality engine oil and they should easily do 200,000 miles.

problem with diesels these days is people drive them and treat them like a petrol car !