Lexus IS - Mis Sold Warranty - joesuggitt105

I purchased a warranty from Lexus with the saleman leading me to believe that my clutch would be covered should it need replacing. Much to my delight i have now found it could cost me 2000.00 to replace and potentially my marriage. Has anyone advice on what to do? I genuinely feel let down by Lexus however I have not complained direct yet as I wanted some advice from more people in the know before I try to do anything.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Lexus IS - Mis Sold Warranty - Auristocrat

Did you not check the terms and conditions of the extended warranty?

The website clearly states what is covered and what is not covered - www.lexus.co.uk/owners/warranty-and-insurance/inde...y

Brake and clutch adjustments and replacements due to wear are not covered.

Most warranties provide cover for faults not wear and tear .........

Lexus IS - Mis Sold Warranty - RobJP

Did you not check the terms and conditions of the extended warranty?

The website clearly states what is covered and what is not covered - www.lexus.co.uk/owners/warranty-and-insurance/inde...y

Brake and clutch adjustments and replacements due to wear are not covered.

Most warranties provide cover for faults not wear and tear .........

As to the salesman (allegedly) misleading you, it would be your word against his. And, as pointed out already, simply reading through the warranty would tell you what was (or was not) covered.

As to the 'costing me my marriage' ... sorry, but if that's the case, and a blown clutch can wreck your marriage, then it wasn't in the best of shape to start with.

Lexus IS - Mis Sold Warranty - gordonbennet

I suspect the warranty does cover the clutch for failure due to poor workmanship or a faulty product, but being a consumable then common sense should be applied, if it reaches 50k and the car looks like its done 50k then i wouldn't necessarily expect a freeby.

If it's a genuine Lexus extended or approved used warranty then i have every faith in them to deal with you fairly in the event of premature failure, that has been the experience of posters here with the Toyota badged models.

Lexus IS - Mis Sold Warranty - 72 dudes

Not much to add to the 3 replies above, except, as GB says, that if the car has been serviced by Lexus throughout its life, then you MAY get some sort of goodwill gesture from the dealer or Lexus. Worth a try, but as stated, wear and tear service items are very rarely covered on a used warranty.

Lexus IS - Mis Sold Warranty - jgrahampo

You dont say how long/how many miles you have had the car for.

that will be key.

but remember the Sales Of Goods Act(SOGA) will trump any warranty.

Edited by jgrahampo on 20/04/2015 at 13:46

Lexus IS - Mis Sold Warranty - thunderbird

but remember the Sales Of Goods Act(SOGA) will trump any warranty

I agree that SOGA is valuable consumer protection but it is not a universal cure for all your motoring woes.

The simple fact here is the understanding of the customer against the word of the salesman and I cannot honestly see any court favouring the customer simply because they did not read or understand the T & C's.

Lexus IS - Mis Sold Warranty - carl233

The sad reality is in the modern world (especially in 'modern' Britain) peoples word is worth nothing, it has no value and these days every single bit of small print must be checked before purchasing any form of warranty or insurance.

Lexus IS - Mis Sold Warranty - Ethan Edwards

No warranty will ever cover consumables such as clutches and brake pads or wiper blades or bulbs.. That's just your misunderstanding. You need to have a fault caused by failure of say the clutch bearing or a hydraulic seal or some such, for a warranty to kick in.

If your relying on a warranty to cover basic running costs like these then imo then you've bought a vehicle you basically cannot afford. You'd be better off to sell it and buy a cheaper car or like the rest of us pay up and try to look happy. However painful that may be.

Now where can I trade my wife in....