Picked up the Captur today - Happy Blue!

In contrast to the buying process, the pick up of my new Captur was smooth and almost faultless.

Did I want to shown around the car? No thanks, just give me the keys.

I had a few questions which were answered competently, they filled the tank and off I went.

So first impressions....a well made car using cheap plastic. Everything works with a reasonably satisfying clunk, the paint work appears deep, and it took no time to sort out the various settings on the bluetooth, satnav and media controls screen. Given this is one from the bottom of the range, I am surprised by the specification (I didn't realise some features were standard) so I had a short play in the office car park. The tyres are a wide and low profile 205/55/17 which is a bit excessive for the likely performance.

The car is very quiet for a 3cyl 898cc engine and I have worked out how to maximise the boot/cabin space relationship by fiddling with the boot floor and sliding rear seat. So far we are happy.

Quibbles? One. I paid for four years servicing at £199, but the guy knew nothing about it until he checked with the accounts office. Hopefully something will arrive in the post.

Will post further as mileage increases.

Edited by Happy Blue! on 15/04/2015 at 21:29

Picked up the Captur today - alan1302

Thanks for the update on this car. Will be interested to know how you get on with it over the months as it's a car especially my wife loves the look of this car and it's certainlty one I would be interested in but am a bit concernred about Renaults past reputation and how the 0.9 litre engine gets on.

Picked up the Captur today - doctorchris

I love the 0.9 TCe engine, which powers my Dacia Logan MCV. It makes some very characterful noises and pulls what can be a heavy car when laden along nicely.

It is also an engine that demands a degree of thought regarding which gear you are in and what the engine rpm reads. Some might find that tiresome but for me it provides interest on boring journeys.

After less than 8,000 miles reliability is an unknown but I've never had doubts about Renault engineering in the past.

Picked up the Captur today - Bianconeri
I helped a relative dispose of an 8000 mile C (r) aptur 900cc back in January. To be honest the engine sounded like a tumble dryer full of ball bearings and had the power of a hairdryer - less if you pressed the "econ" button.

In the couple of hundred miles I drove it I can truly say I hated it, terrible ride, everything rattled and it burned ridiculous amounts of fuel while being on the tardy side of slow. The paintwork was terrible too.

Still each to his own abd hope it works for you.
Picked up the Captur today - Avant

Good luck with it, HB. From the outside the Captur looks as if rear visibility must be something chronic, with the upswept sides so beloved of stylists.

But maybe it's something you learn to live with (although one could say 'why should you have to?'). Perhaps when you report in due course you could mention whether this is an issue.

Some thoughts overnight. .....

Avant, rear visibility cannot be any worse than that of the Juke my wife has. As my last car was a very long one, anything will be easier to manoeuvre backwards.

The SatNav has rather childlike graphics and I cannot find a way to make the map operate in a 'facing north' mode. The map turns to face the direction of travel which as a former boy scout and a surveyor I find irritating.

More news later.

OK. Main gripe so far is the location of the stalk with the media controls. It is a typical Renault design stretching back to the late 1980s. It works OK, but is completely invisible to the driver as it is masked by the steering wheel spokes. Even looking over or under the wheel whilst driving does not work.

The other bizarre thing is the location of the cruise control/speed limited master switch. It is down below the gear lever, whereas you would have expected it to be on the steering wheel on on the dashboard somewhere visible. Having said that, once you know where it is, you can feel for it easily and a quick glance down makes it obvious.

I am about to try a SatNav software update which I have read about on the Captur owners club website. We shall see if it works.

Otherwise 14 unremarkable miles today. The ECO button is pressed but does not seem to have much effect on performance, but maybe it will as the engines breaks in.

Picked up the Captur today - Alby Back
>>as the engine breaks in...

I do hope that's not a Freudian slip...

;-)

Ho ho ho! I need to come down to Cheshire shortly.....I could break down and run into the back of the Merc :-0

Updating the SatNav software was a fiddle but eventually I got it done. Seven digit postcodes are available but in a rather odd way of finding them. Just realied the car also has auto wipers and lights, the LED DRLs turn off when the headlights are on (a good thing) and the Bluetooth also works for MP3 files, so music plays very easily from my phone without any fiddly cables in the cabin.

All in all, I am impressed so far. The level of spec for the price is very good and the basic design is good also. I can see my father fancying a change from his Sirion. A few minor niggles but Renault would do so much better with a better dealer network rather than salesmen wearing white towelling socks who last week sold double glazing....

Picked up the Captur today - retgwte

Dacia Stepway is very similar car for a lot less money, dont see why anyone would pay any extra for the Renault

If you sat in both you would understand. The whole design of the Captur is more modern and efficient. The Dacia is a Renault from over ten years ago fitted with the minimum of equipment to comply with current regulations.

It might be okay for a taxi driver or long term owner on a budget, but as a professional business owner I could not drive around in one without serious loss of gravitas.

Picked up the Captur today - concrete

Many moons ago when I had company cars(prior to providing my own and claiming mileage) I had a Renault Laguna Tourer Dynamique. Lovely diesel engine and six speed gearbox and a pleasure to drive. The problems were all the little niggles, usually from the electronics. Tyre pressure monitors were a real pain. I once had to drive from Gloucester to Carlisle with the sunroof open!! I really dislike sunroofs and would never ever spec one. I was with a colleague in my car when he suddenly said, 'what's this switch for' and pressed it. The sunroof opened and would not shut despite all attempts. I made him arrange an appointment with a Renault dealer in Carlisle that afternoon and they fixed the problem within an hour. Had to reboot all the elctronics to do so. Engineering was great, electronics were poor. Would really think twice about another Renault now. Shame really, but once bitten.......

I hope yours is fine happyblue.

Cheers Concrete

Picked up the Captur today - Smileyman

I too have suffered impact of faulty electronics - in a Nissan at the time when they were worked very closely with Renault - epecially the Laguna.

I saw a Rapture this morning, 15 plate, overtook it on my morning commute. Looks good from the outside, would love to read 3 years down the road from now that the dodgy electrics problems have been resolved (Nissan input?), until then it's a gamble.

What is not a gamble is an opening sunroof. With the exception of a short period when I drove my late grandfather's Saab 99 I've had an opening sunroof all my driving life (nearly 40 years) and would not want to be without - been open for the past few days enjoying the lovely weather we have had in Kent. Luckily I've found that Webasto supply aftermarket sunroofs to fit most cars.

Tempting fate here, but in over 33 years of driving i have never had a really unreliable car. Yes I once rejected a Fiat Uno due to water ingress into the cabin that could not be traced, but in terms of being let down, thankfully it has not yet happened. There have been a few faults buts generally these have been quick to repair without too much grief.

First longish trip today. About 66 miles round trip up into the hills about Blackburn. Interesting that around Manchester the ECO setting is barely noticeable, but going upt he hills, the extra tourqe available when you come out of ECO is noticeable. Trying to give the car a good work out in all gears, getting up to 3,500 revs and even higher on the over run so its not stressing the engine. Average economy a slightly disappointing 37mpg, but as has been said on here many times, these small turbocharged engines need a bit of welly to get going. The car has only done about 120 miles in total so far too early to get a real handle on economy but I would like to think I can get an average of 40mpg out of it when run in.

My wife drove it for the first time today and considered it a very satisfactory replacement for her previous Mercedes A-class - what a mistake Mercedes made replacing it with boring hatchback with no rear room - with a better driving position and similar performance.

Picked up the Captur today - Steveieb

Hope you are enjoyong the new car. My hairdresser has bought one, attracted by the low insurance so that she can teach her son to drive.

Is that right the Captur was initially built by Samsung in Korea ? On behalf of Renault?

Picked up the Captur today - alan1302

Is that right the Captur was initially built by Samsung in Korea ? On behalf of Renault?

No, Samsung (the cars part) is owned by Renault:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Samsung_Motors

I am enjoying it. Once I realised to ignore the ECO button, the car has excellent real world performance, bearing in mind it has a very small petrol turbo engine, sometimes it needs to be on boost but low down torque is pretty good. Economy is picking up; after three tanks of mixed driving it is averaging about 39mpg (calculated, not trip computer), and today with four adults, a dog and a load of walking and picnic stuff, it cruised at 75mph giving about 40mpg.

It's not perfect, but its a damn good effort and far more practical than the similarly sized Juke. I like the keyless entry/locking which works very well, the sliding rear bench and driving position. Less ideal is the quality of the plastics, poor graphics on the dashboard, and some awkwardly positioned switches. Some visibility is poor, not at the rear, but front where the pillars are very thick and some things can be missed if you are not careful. However many cars share this problem.

Overall I'm happy and although it was bought as a temporary car for me prior to it going to a member of staff, I can see myself keeping it.

Edited by Happy Blue! on 04/05/2015 at 00:38

Picked up the Captur today - Alby Back
Bet the member of staff is relieved to hear that.

;-))
Picked up the Captur today - Nickdm

I've just had 9 days/550 miles in a brand new Clio estate with the same engine. Certainly quite a throaty noise it makes!

Agree about the hidden media controls behind the steering wheel. Also took me a few days to spot the computer display buttons on one of the stalks.

Had some trouble with the heater controls, i.e. seeing what position the air flow knob was in from the driving seat. And air throughput seemed pathetic - I kept having to crank it up to max in order to feel any air coming through the vents.

Metallic red paintwork looked of very high quality, no issues there.

Trip computer showed 45.5mpg when I handed the car back. Most journeys were about 10 miles long, with lots of suburban traffic lights and a few short motorway bursts, so I guess this is reasonable. Stop/Start system worked seamlessly.

Satnav and media connectivity were spot-on and easy to master.

Don't think I'd spend my own money on one of these cars - and I think the Ford 1.0 ecoboost engine does a better job - but no complaints as hire cars go.

Unusually for me, I have done a fairly high mileage since I picked up the Captur and have now done just over 1,000 miles within four weeks. When I first got the car, it was in the ECO setting and it took a short while for me to realise the reason the car's performance was so poor was that it was in that setting - it felt strangled. I then drove for about 750 miles in the regular setting (and the performance was fine) and set about running the car in.

I have kept a proper log of fuel economy and the first three tanks showed an improvement from 38mpg to 41mpg (per tank). At the last fill up I turned the ECO button on again and found that running the car in has made a significant difference to the performance, and it is no longer as gutless as it was, and now unless I am accelerating on the motorway up a steep slip road, I find that I am happy to leave it in ECO. A consequence is also that the economy is also clearly superior and so far this tank it is showing about 42.5mpg.

Impressions to date. Its surprisingly good on motorways, as long as you realise that 900cc and a turbo will not make 1,089kg of Renault go that quickly. Dropping down gears to make progress certainly affects the fuel consumption, but regular A road driving is excellent and the economy great. The ride is a bit firm, not helped by stupidly low profile and rather wide tyres. The car would be far better with narrower and higher profile tyres. The overall performance does not require such expensive and over specified tyres.

Clearly the car is built down to a price, but I am pleasantly surprised by various features including bonnet which has a hydraulic strut rather than a length of metal to keep it open. The seats are comfortable, noise level is low and the stop start system works quite well. I sometimes catch it out, but it partly my lack of recent experience in a manual car. Mind you I'm not really missing an autobox as the clutch is light and the gearbox easy if slightly notchy.

I saw a Ford Eco-Sport today. Similar type and size of car. In some respects nicer to look at and possibly very slightly larger but the dashboard is far too complicated and the integrated screen of the Captur is far superior. Still a Happy Blue!

Picked up the Captur today - daveyjp
I've just had a decent test drive in a smart forfour 0.9 turbo, which has the same engine. Unlike the car with the 1000 cc engine which is very dreary, the smaller turbo unit makes the car a real blast to drive. I wouldn't even consider the 1,000 unit. The 900 gives a real kick in the back from very low revs.

Car had done almost 3,000 miles as a dealer courtesy car and was showing 37 mpg. On my largely urban trip it gave 43mpg.

I was tempted, except some careless dealer van driver was attracted to the rear bumper and had cracked it.

Picked up the Captur today - Steveieb

Had the oportunity to test drive a left hand drive version of the Renault Cadjur last week.

Firstly who on earth won the prize for the craziest name for any car.

But that asside it was such a dissapointment. My main complaint being the view out from the drivers aspect. Massive thick pillers and a distant windscreen. Clustrophobia come to mind.

Everything else mediocre including the name !

The surprising thing about this engine is that it is clearly very economical around town but get it up to speed (say more than an indicated 70mph) and the economy suffers significantly. On a trip i would have got about 40mpg in my Smax (Diesel and Auto), i am not getting anything better in the Captur despite being much smaller, lighter and manual. Clearly a small petrol has to work much harder to maintain momentum at those speeds.

Picked up the Captur today - gordonbennet

This sting in the tale of some otherwise economical small cars seems to be more noticeable in smaller dumpier shapes.

SWMBO had a Citroen C2 VTS HDi for a couple of years, that was the 1.6 110hp version of the Diesel of Doom, though running slightly more than 110- cough, it was very fast especially in its effortless torque band from 1500 up to 3000 rpm, no point in revving it any higher.

Normal running about kept to 70mph absolute max would see 60 mpg regularly, but increase that to 80 or beyond could see that economy plummet sharply to not much over 40mpg.

Owners of the same engine in other forums in much heavier models claim to get mid 50s to 60mpg more or less constantly, how much of this was down to believing the OBC i don't know, maybe the larger cars being sleeker cut through the air better, maybe it was the addictive surge of the engine in that very light C2 encouraged heavier throttle use than the heavier cars which must have been plodders in comparison, SWMBO doesn't exactly cause rolling road blocks.

I wonder if the combination of small dumpier shape causing excessive wind drag plus those wide tyres are contributing to the lower economy of HB's Catpaw as speed rises.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/06/2015 at 23:05

Ah yes, the tyres......way too wide. Most ridiculous things. The car has 85bhp for goodness sake, it would cope with 155 SR 13 tyres, not the steamroller things it has on. 25 years ago they would have fitted them to a Lamborghini....... I am sure they also contribute to the poor ride as well. .

Passed 4,000 miles yesterday. I was on a long trip (Manchester to Alloa return in one day). I have done this trip about once every two years for the last decade in four different cars with the best being the Outback and the S-Max. The Captur was pretty good. I would complain that the Bluetooth is too quiet at motorway speeds and as mentioned before the both spec economy is average; I got about 41mpg cruising at 75mph.

A few interesting points. The car clearly prefers higher octane fuel. It is much perkier using 98RON than normal unleaded and more economical but whether this makes financial sense I have not determined. The basic build quality of the car remains unexpectedly high. The paint is deep and I am constantly surprised by the surprise and delight features. I noticed last night it has hill hold on the foot brake for two seconds.

I remain confident about the long term health of the car despite being a Renault! However i do see some other cars i fancy once this has been passed on - Jeep Renegade?? It's a Fiat 500L underneath i think in a boxy body. I could be tempted. .....

Edited by Happy Blue! on 05/08/2015 at 08:29

Picked up the Captur today - Avant

That's very satisfying - knowing that a 2-litre petrol, GTI-engined Octavia can beat the Captur on economy. I got 42 mpg today Dorset to Berkshire and back (trip computer is accurate) - like you, on super-unleaded.

If I drive only on short local trips it's early 30s. Presumably you can beat me comfortably in town.

Actually the bulk of the trip was on Asda unleaded rather than 98 RON, but i think a small engine in a largeish car means poor economy at high speed. I cannot imagine more than 1mpg better using 'better' fuel.

Conversely my usual suburban driving gets me about 41mpg as well and more sensible motorway or steady speed running achieves closer to 45+mpg. I have come to love motorway road works. A steady 50mph = 50mpg!