Hyundai ix20 or Toyota Jazz cvt - Choice of automatic - scot22

I know choosing cars is a regular topic ( I've checked previous threads ) I'm hoping, within the next few months to get a newer car.

Although I like Volvo I think an auto would lead to significantly high fuel bills so am ready to discount them as a choice.

For my motoring a petrol is the better option.

The Hyundai seems to be more traditional ( which appeals ) but Toyota cvt has good write ups.

Comfort wise ( most motoring short to middle (150 miles approx) ) etc there seems to be little difference between them. I may be wrong.

Any advice on choosing between is appreciated. Or is there a better choice, similar size ?

Hyundai ix20 or Toyota Jazz cvt - Choice of automatic - skidpan

Small but important point.

Toyota do not make the Jazz.

Hyundai ix20 or Toyota Jazz cvt - Choice of automatic - Auristocrat

Do you mean the Toyota Verso S ???

Apologies, very deep red face. I meant the Honda Jazz.

Thanks for pointing out my basic error.

Hyundai ix20 or Toyota Jazz cvt - Choice of automatic - madf

I have a 2012 Jazz CVT. Very easy to drive round town. Imperceptibly smooth changes in gears.. Averages around 43mpg (real world).. 70% of driving round town. 50mpg plus on long runs..

Thanks madf that's really helpful. For the make (Honda of course) I am leaning towards Jazz.

I know comfort is personal but am concerned with comfort in a car. How have you found it please ?

Hyundai ix20 or Toyota Jazz cvt - Choice of automatic - skidpan

My dad had a Jazz for 5 trouble free years but his was a manual.

He did try the CVT (he had auto's back in the 80's) but found it to be the work of the devil and bought the manual.

His only complaints were the terrible ride and cabin noise. The Micra that replaced it was far better in both respects.

Thanks madf that's really helpful. For the make (Honda of course) I am leaning towards Jazz.

I know comfort is personal but am concerned with comfort in a car. How have you found it please ?

Seating: great. Space great.

Wind noise above 60mph : poor.

Tyre roar on poor surfaces: bad. (Quiet on good one).

Ride? fine... far better than youngest son's 2012 1.3 Toyota Yaris (which is hard).

Not entertaining to drive.. but at my age (OAP_, I really have not got the reflexes I used to have..)

Magic seats mean carrying anything is easy peasy.. Yaris is a pia in contrast.. And Jazz has a flat floor with no lifting over a boot lip... which is super for carrying washing machines:-)

Post 2011 the CVT has a torque convertor so comparison with the prior CVT is meaningless. The current CVT is absolutely superbly smooth.

Ideal for old fogeys like me :-)

Edited by madf on 15/04/2015 at 19:55

Thanks skidpan for your views, appreciated and madf for updating the information. I will be looking for post 2012.

Madf your posts have been pure gold for me, and I value the time you have taken to give such an informative reply based on personal experience.

As an OAP myself your comments have been perfect for my needs. Forums at their best.

If buying a secondhand one, many came with a five year prepaid maintenance contract (£500?).

Dealers /vendors appear to ignore this in their valuation of cars.. and few mention it in their sales blurb.I checked mine and it had it.. so I have servicing paid until 2017,

Worth checking.

If buying new, well worth the money.

Cheers

Is it just chance that there has been no mention of Hyundai - good or bad ?

Hyundai ix20 or Toyota Jazz cvt - Choice of automatic - alan1302

Is it just chance that there has been no mention of Hyundai - good or bad ?

Could be it's just not apopular car - I know I don't see many of them about so maybe not many people on here ahve experience of them.

Hyundai ix20 or Toyota Jazz cvt - Choice of automatic - Avant

There was an interesting comment by Steve Cropley (one of the best of the current motoring journalists) in last week's Autocar. It was about the Hyundai i20 and led to a general point which I think I'll start a separate thread about.

But his view of the i20 is that it did all the ordinary stuff perfectly, but it just wasn't any fun to drive - as Steve says, 'like having a friend who could probably beat Usain Bolt over 100 metres, but chooses not to try.'

So if you're after a means of transport from A to B (and there's nothing wrong with that) then a Hyundai will do fine, as will a Vauxhall.

If you need an automatic with this size of car, I think you'll struggle to find anything that's fun to drive.

I am just concerned with A to B safely, comfortably and making good progress.

Fortunately I am not looking for any particular fun. I am happy, but driving is a task to be tackled as skillfully as possible, rather than a pleasure.

Looking forward to your new thread.

Hyundai ix20 or Toyota Jazz cvt - Choice of automatic - Ben79

My parents have a Kia Venga 1.6 automatic, which is 95% the same as the ix20.

The Venga can be hustled around corners and has a surpirising turn of speed, expecially away from traffic lights.

The car isn't bad to drive, and is comfortable even for longer journeys.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Really taking my time on this purchase to make as sure as possible its the best but for us.

Hyundai ix20 or Toyota Jazz cvt - Choice of automatic - slkfanboy

CVT would best be avoided. Look at the size up and go powershift/dsg i.e. ford/skoda/seat/vw any of which will offer better mgp and general service

CVT would best be avoided. Look at the size up and go powershift/dsg i.e. ford/skoda/seat/vw any of which will offer better mgp and general service

Hmm A view once true now out of date and incorrect. Anyone fancy a second hand dsg or powershift with the respetcive companies' view of responsbility after expiration of warranty? ie None...

Hyundai ix20 or Toyota Jazz cvt - Choice of automatic - KB.

Hmm A view once true now out of date and incorrect. Anyone fancy a second hand dsg or powershift with the respetcive companies' view of responsbility after expiration of warranty? ie None...

Agree entirely ... I, personally, consider slkfanboy's advice to be wrong and likely to mislead and incur expense to a prospective purchaser following that advice. Has he owned a dry DSG equipped VAG product or, at least, seen some of the, vast, correspondence regarding the potential for trouble with an out of warranty DSG (Dry) box? And has he owned a half decent CVT?

I have the 7 speed dry DSG and love it but it's had all the recall work done that we all know about (or at least most of us who know about these things)...... eg. reset the electronics several times, change the transmission oil, fit new clutch pack. It's fine as we speak but if the clutch pack started juddering again I'd be entirely in the hands of Skoda in deciding how much expense I'm looking at - they have no obligation to offer goodwill...I just hope they might offer some if the occasion arose. I can't cover the dual clutch pack within the DSG mechanism via my car's aftermarket warranty because it's excluded due to there being a known manufacturers problem and they've confirmed they won't pay up if a claim was made on the DSG clutch mechanism even though it's an integral part of the DSG transmission.

A look at the user experience of Ford's Powershift doesn't engender confidence either.

On the other hand, whilst no firecracker, my Jazz CVT was a gem and entirely free of event. To the best of my knowledge the Toyota CVT transmissions aren't as much of a potential liablity as the DSG ether.

Is fanboy speaking from experience regarding the mpg of the DSG ? I am, and would advise that 33mpg in my DSG Yeti from new isn't amazing. I still love the car but please don't tell me the mpg return is assuredly an improvement over the alternatives in consideration. And what exactly does "general service" mean in relation to the operation, reliability, efficiency and long term outlook for the transmissions in question? I say again...I love the car but realise it's out of warranty now and despite my paying annually for an "approved" warranty it could end up costing a small fortune.

I suggest the OP looks carefully at his/her options and scrutinizes the advice received for fear of being led into an erroneous decision by those who might not be qualified to give it.

Thank you for these posts. Especial thanks KB for such detailed advice. I am frequenting the forums for the makes and the Jazz cvt (post 2011) is highly rated, without reservation.

I am not looking for a 'firecracker' and will be very careful. As I've posted before I did not choose wisely last time ( although the car does have many attractions ) I will not make the same mistakes again.