Vauxhall Zafira A - Head gasket failure??? - daview
Hi all I recently had a split water hose which I had replaced. After this the car still started to lose water. The guy that replaced the hose 'knocked' out the thermostat and also change the water pump but I am still losing water! There is no 'gunk' in oil filler or dipstick. Could this be a head gasket issue or something else less serious? By the way it's a 2.0dti. Any ideas anyone?
Kind regards
Vauxhall Zafira A - Head gasket failure??? - skidpan

If you mean the "guy" removed the thermostat then get it replaced. Thermostats are an essential part of the cooling system, not only do the control temp but they also regulate flow to the correct parts of the engine. manufacturers fit them for very ggod reasons and running without them is never a good idea.

If it still looses water after replacing it (if it is actually out) you need to get a pressure test carried out.

If you mean the "guy" removed the thermostat then get it replaced. Thermostats are an essential part of the cooling system, not only do the control temp but they also regulate flow to the correct parts of the engine. manufacturers fit them for very ggod reasons and running without them is never a good idea.

If it still looses water after replacing it (if it is actually out) you need to get a pressure test carried out.

I'm not actually using the car in this condition, the thermostat was 'knocked' out to ensure water was circulating instead of replacing the stat for no reason..any other ideas?

any other ideas?

Read my previous post. Put the stat back in them ask for more advice if its still aproblem.

The thermostat is in but just stuck open, ensuring water is circulating.... It is still losing water when running it!
The thermostat is in but just stuck open, ensuring water is circulating

But the thermostat is not operating as Vauxhall intended and they know a thing or 2 about these engines.

Replace it with a working one and try again.

Don't get me wrong I am no expert on cars......but surely the water is going somewhere whether the thermostat is working or not?
Don't get me wrong I am no expert on cars......but surely the water is going somewhere whether the thermostat is working or not?

Of course it does but not necessarily to thr correct place at the correct flow rate.

Fit a stat and then see how it works.

As I said above, Vauxhall know a thing or 2 about engiones and fit stats for a reason.

Vauxhall Zafira A - Head gasket failure??? - Soichiro
Stop labouring the point.
The Op is right, thermostat or not the water is being lost somewhere.
The existence of the thermostat won't affect the water loss.

Edited by Soichiro on 15/04/2015 at 19:32

Anyone else any ideas?
Vauxhall Zafira A - Head gasket failure??? - Johmon

I know its late but my Zafira used to lose coolant but it was the water pump, the MOT people saw a leak and I had it replaced so it could be the water pump or thermostat