Tyres - Andy P
Just looking to replace all four tyres on my Accord and am tempted by the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD (195/60VR15) at £65 each.
However, there is also the new Bridgestone RE720 at £58.50

Now, the "problem" is, how long is the Goodyear likely to be around for? I don't wan't to buy four tyres only to find that in 12 months they stop making them. Is the Bridgestone, which is new, the better bet? Does anyone know where I can get them cheaper?

Cheers!

Andy
Tyres - Billy Whizz
"I don't wan't to buy four tyres only to find that in 12 months they stop making them."

Why? What difference does that make?

Billy
Tyres - Andy P
What happens if I need to replace one? You can't put different tyres on the same axle, so I could end up having to buy two tyres instead. That's why I don't want to get new tyres which are likely to become hard to get hold of in the near future.

Andy
Tyres - mal
Son has just bought Bridgestone RE88's which have been available since his car was fitted with them as standard in 1988!.

Tyres - Dynamic Dave
You can't put different tyres on the same axle,

Gone are the days of mixing radial and cross ply. The only time I've never mixed tyres on the same axle is when one of them is a directional tyre and the other isn't.
Tyres - Billy Whizz
Then you should really get 5 if you're worried (one for the spare). In fact, I read somewhere [1] that the average motorist in UK gets a puncture once every 5 years these days. And most of those punctures will not require replacement of the tyre.

If I were you [1], I would worry more about how good these tyres are on your car than whether or not you can get hold of another one in a year's time (unless you are prone to damaging your tyres).

Billy
[1] classic phrase that.
Tyres - Steve S

"If I were you [1], I would worry more about how good these tyres are on your car than whether or not you can get hold of another one in a year's time (unless you are prone to damaging your tyres)."

I agree with Billy but it is infuriating when manufacturers change them so often. My C70 came with a type of Pilots which Michelin no longer make, so as soon as I needed to replace the fronts I can't match them.

Wouldn't be so bad if the new ones looked anything like the others but they (of course) look nothing like them!
Tyres - Dave_TD
My C70 came with a type of
Pilots which Michelin no longer make, so as soon as I
needed to replace the fronts I can't match them.

>>
Wouldn't be so bad if the new ones looked anything like
the others but they (of course) look nothing like them!

Are the new ones not circular and made out of black rubber like the old ones were then...?

Or are you seriously trying to kid us that you think your car is inferior now, because your front tyres don't have the same tread pattern as the rear ones...?
Tyres - Steve S
"Are the new ones not circular and made out of black rubber like the old ones were then...?"

Exactly. Err, so why change them?
Tyres - MarkyMarkD
What happens if I need to replace one? You can't put
different tyres on the same axle, so I could end up
having to buy two tyres instead. That's why I don't want
to get new tyres which are likely to become hard to
get hold of in the near future.
Andy

Don't understand your problem. Keep a low-tread spare. (In other words, replace 3 not 4 if you can get tyres to match your current spare and the spare is new).

Therefore you have 4 matching and a low-tread spare.

If you lose one tyre, replace the damaged one and the spare, keeping the part-used one from the other side.

Repeat as required.

And you save the cost of one tyre now, instead of saving the cost of buying two in the future.
Tyres - Humpy
There are new Eagles coming out (gsd3) check you're getting the new ones on

www.goodyear.co.uk/services/tyreguide/schematicove...l
Tyres - Clear Spot
Didn't Pirelli's come out best in the recent Autocar test (performance wise)?
CS
Tyres - Burnout2
I've used Goodyear Eagle NCT3s on my Accord for the past couple of years, and found they perform and last well while being relatively inexpensive.
Tyres - Dogbreath
Andy

What life like with the Accord? Is yours a 5 door? Can it carry lots of stuff from the garden? I am thinking about getting one and prices seem very low at the moment.

Tyres - Ben79
I have just fitted 4 Michelin E3A tyres, the grip and noise reduction compared to earlier Energy tyres is unbelieveable. www.fleetnewsnet.co.uk/newshome/home_fullarticle/?...1 has some more info.

Ben
Tyres - Andy P
No, it's a 4-door, but it still has plenty of space in the boot even without the rear seats folded down. Get one!

Andy

(www.crosswinds.net/~jupiter/index.htm)
Tyres - patpending
You can't put different tyres on the same axle<<

Just on that point I have found that to be totally true. My garage replaced one Pirelli 600 with a Pirelli 6000 on the front and the handling was nought to hedge in three seconds.

pat