Ford Focus hatchback - Age of tyres - Whizzalong67
I understand how to tell how old a tyre is by the DOT mark, but when buying a new tyre what would be the maximum age I should accept? Does shelf life matter?
Ford Focus hatchback - Age of tyres - skidpan

Insist that the tyres are new manufacture, if they want your business they will do that. If not go elsewhere.

But in reality providing you rotate front and rear anually and do over 8000 miles a year your tyres will be worn out after 4 years anyway.

Ford Focus hatchback - Age of tyres - alan1302

Insist that the tyres are new manufacture, if they want your business they will do that. If not go elsewhere.

But in reality providing you rotate front and rear anually and do over 8000 miles a year your tyres will be worn out after 4 years anyway.

That's the original query though - how old are new tyres?

Ford Focus hatchback - Age of tyres - Wackyracer

I remember reading somewhere that there was a specific age past which tyres should not be fitted and sold as new but, I can't remember where I read it.

Ford Focus hatchback - Age of tyres - Andrew-T

Unless your car has an unusual tyre size, I would have thought any 'new' tyre you buy would be well under 12 months old. If you find one that isn't, ask why. Most retail tyres will come from a regional distributor with a steady turnover.

Shelf life does matter to a degree - there has been a recent thread on here about that very topic.

Ford Focus hatchback - Age of tyres - slkfanboy

After 3 years tyres are recommened to be replaced due to them going hard and less effective.

Ford Focus hatchback - Age of tyres - concrete

After 3 years tyres are recommened to be replaced due to them going hard and less effective.

Crikey. I had a set of Falken tyres fitted onto swmbo's Honda. She only did very small mileages annually and they were still on 10 years later when we gave the car away.

Hope nobody fell foul of 'old tyre syndrome'.

Cheers Concrete

Ford Focus hatchback - Age of tyres - skidpan

No such recomendation exists.

The current industry recomendation is to not use tyres older than 10 years and not to refit or repair tyres older than 6 years.

Michelin for example warranty their tyres for 6 years form the date of manufacture.

Whilst its true that rubber hardens with age it would take a test in controlled conditions to tell any difference between a 3 year old tyre and an identical new one.

Obviously if a tyre is damaged it should not be used regardless of age nor should a tyre with signs of cracks in the rubber be used.

Ford Focus hatchback - Age of tyres - Brit_in_Germany

The German ADAC's view is that tyres older than 3 years should not be sold as "new".

Ford Focus hatchback - Age of tyres - Wackyracer

There is something in the rubber compound that retards ageing of the rubber but, it needs the rubber to be exercised for it to work. This is why stored tyres go bad quicker than a used tyre.

Something I read recently said that a 3 year old tyre could still be fitted and sold as new.

Ford Focus hatchback - Age of tyres - slkfanboy

A useful link saying no older than 6 years. After 3 years your on a downward slop as pointed out lack of use is a key factor, so inspection is important with age.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=99946

Ford Focus hatchback - Age of tyres - John F

And here is another thread where the absurd 'recommendations' were discussed.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=103562

My service record shows my TR7 got two new Goodyears on the front in 1987 (41,000m) and two new Goodyears on the rear in 1988 (45,000). They were swapped front to rear in 1999 (59,000) and replaced in 2011 (65,000) - not because they were faulty or MoT failures but because I fancied some new ones with more tread and grip.

There is a load of rubbish talked about longevity by the motor industry which has a vested interest in trying to get us to repair and replace our cars as often as possible. Even HJ has had the temerity to suggest that cars are only designed to last 10yrs!