Volkswagen Passat SE TDI Tiptronic 1896cc 2001 - Oil level warning light - Bywater

I have recently had a new oil level sensor fitted as the Orange oil level warning light came on. The light still comes on with the usual dash warning message and the mechanic seems to think there is an electrical issue. The sensor was around £90 and non returnable, so not happy with the original diagnosis. Have you or any members come across this before, and are auto electricians expensive, as we have limited funds and have wasted more than is comfortable already. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Volkswagen Passat SE TDI Tiptronic 1896cc 2001 - Oil level warning light - DavidGlos
Does the presence of the warning light prevent the car working correctly? If not, I'd be inclined to ignore the low oil level light and get into the habit of checking the dipstick on a regular basis.

I once had a Citroen ZX where the low oil level light was permanently illuminated. Stuck some black tape over the warning light and just checked the dipstick every week or so. Total cost a matter of a few pence for a bit of black tape!
Volkswagen Passat SE TDI Tiptronic 1896cc 2001 - Oil level warning light - Bywater

That wouldn't stop the warning message, or irritating long beep every time I start the car though. Not to mention having to explain the colour choice of tape to any perspective buyer should I decide to sell it. ;-)

Volkswagen Passat SE TDI Tiptronic 1896cc 2001 - Oil level warning light - tryitandsee

See my experiance, make sure you have put in an original sensor as these after market sensors are useless.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=105108

Edited by tryitandsee on 08/04/2015 at 16:51