Volvo - MOT advisory - scot22

I have one advisory item, 'nearside front(rear) Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement'

Obviously, by definition, it is advisory. I would be interested in opinions on whether or not it would be better to get it done, and why.

Thanks

Volvo - MOT advisory - gordonbennet

Have a poke nose on the Volvo forums, see what sort of a job it is, if it's simple or cheap enough, get it done now and keep receipts for part or job in your service history folder...further proof of your careful ownership come private sale.

The problem with leaving things is that when it does eventually fail, if it happens to be an awkward job or expensive parts then you might be forced into paying over the odds..compared to researching and fixing with no hurries..to get it done pronto.

Also what's excessive movement, anyone who's driven a BMW 3 Series or Sierra or Cortina 3/4/5 could tell you that some bushes that might well pass the MOT can make the car wallowy and indirect on the road, and they don't fix themselves.

Thank you for your advice. I think your right and I'll get prices. As a matter of principle I prefer giving myself time to think.

Volvo - MOT advisory - Cyd

Well, at my last MoT, we found a very slight lift in the RH wishbone ball joint on my Saab 9-3. So I replaced both wishbones (joint is integral). I did the job myself and the parts were £100.

Mainly for the reasons above.

Thanks Cyd. Unfortunately my practical ability is limited to tyres pressures and fluid levels ! I keep garages in business.

Volvo - MOT advisory - mazda60

Hi,

Had the same sort of issue with a Subaru Legacy on its second MOT but because I know the garage, who have done my MOT for years, was advised to leave it and see how it developed.( The car was only doing about 5 thousand miles a year).

A year later,excatly the same state and in all subsequent MOT'S.

To do the job was not a DIY one with a press being required, but I could have spent a lot of money to have the job done for nothing !

I sold the car, when it was nine years old, and never had the rear wishbone bushes changed.

I hope that this is of some help.

It may depend on the manufacturer as to how they may deteriorate and for your peace of mind may wish to have them changed.

Regards.

mazda60.

Volvo - MOT advisory - hardway

"Obviously,by defination,it is advisory"/

True,

But in my observation if you were MOTing it to sell it one of the first things asked is "did you do these advisories?".

And to agree with other repondants I have several cars on my books that have the same advisory remarks for in one instance 4 years!

Now it coild be said that I should encourage them to get the work done but I know these cars and drivers and advice is just that.

My local MOT station has one tester that I don't need to see his name on the sheet to know it's him,

His thing is advisories on metal ferule flexi brake ends exess corrosion.

Now I haven't acually cut one in half to look but the appear to have a wall thickness of over 4 mm of steel!

So how some surface rust can be deemed an mot fail beats me.

No one wants a big MOT bill,

"My" advice is treat is as something to get done in the next few months.

Unless your selling it that is,

Thank you everyone for very helpful posts which have given me the benefit of your experiences.

Contacted my garage, which I trust, today. They have said it was something for them to 'keep an eye on'. Reading how people have had the same advisories year on year has lessened my concern. Also, which I should have done straight away, they have clarified how they see it.

I hope to get a newer car within the next year, probably PX the car, so will leave it alone unless there are any problems which appears unlikely.

Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to respond.