Opel astra 2001 1.6 - Noise Clacking/Tapping coming from engine. - Belurdan

Hi, I have a opel astra 2001 with 160.000km and recently it has started to make a sound Coming from the left back of the engine) almost where the altenator is) very similar to a tappet gone bust. The sound is the same when the car is hot or cold, temp does not matter. Its very very loud. I have changed the oil and run some liqi Moly Tappet/lifter aid in to the engine, but it has not made any difference. I have read that it could be a water pump, cam tensioner or a tappet. Would anyone have any idea what this persisting noise can be? I did not change oil filter and i did run some engine cleaner through the car before i dropped the oil. Next step is to reduce that oil by 2ltrs and add 2lt deisel, let it run through to clean engine, then add new oil and filter.

The oil i have just put in it is Liqi moly 10-40. Any ideas what it could be, im reluctant to take it to a mech, coz they charge and arm and a leg here in germany.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Opel astra 2001 1.6 - Noise Clacking/Tapping coming from engine. - ED731PDH

Check if this model is fitted with a dephaser timing pulley. If fitted, when they go the engine sounds like a noisy diesel.

Opel astra 2001 1.6 - Noise Clacking/Tapping coming from engine. - Belurdan

Hi i appreciate your response, i have looked into the above mentioned pulley and iam unable to determine/find the information to know if that car has one on it. It is also refered to as Vauxhall in the UK.

Opel astra 2001 1.6 - Noise Clacking/Tapping coming from engine. - elekie&a/c doctor

Is this an 8 valve or 16 valve engine?There are no cam dephasers on this model astra.

Opel astra 2001 1.6 - Noise Clacking/Tapping coming from engine. - ED731PDH

Have a look at this video, compare against your engine; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIEBDfn4TBg

Opel astra 2001 1.6 - Noise Clacking/Tapping coming from engine. - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Could be the crankshaft damper pulley on its way out. My last one failed like that and my local garage changed the cam-belt (which was due for change) and, not finding the cause of the noise, replaced the crankshaft pulley. The noise was still there! They replaced the pulley and that cured it, but looking at the pulley, it wasn't obvious that the rubber had failed.

Opel astra 2001 1.6 - Noise Clacking/Tapping coming from engine. - hardway

Isolate where the noise is from,

Auto tensioner on the alternator drive belt,

The big multi spline looking nut on the tensioner is where you can turn it anticlockwise when the engine is running to take the belt tension off and stop the belt driving/running.

If the noise dissapears then it's drivebelt related.

I.e.alternator/icler pully/crank pully........etc.

If the noise is still there then its cambelt related.

An assuming it's the XEP 16 DOHC then as the tappits are solid it will be the cam belt tensioner pully.

Nothing else back there.

Opel astra 2004 1.6 - Noise Clacking/Tapping coming from engine. - Belurdan

Hi thanks for the fast replys,

Here is what i did, i took along scew driver and placed it on the engine and then placed it to my ear where the tappets sit, and i could not hear to much above the normal. then i placed the screw driver on the carburetor and i could hear the tapping loud and clear, same noise was the when i put it on the manifold a little left of the carbeuretor. so it is tell me that the noise is definitley coming from the manifold carbie area. Oh and the car is a 2004 model not 2001.

Edited by Belurdan on 30/03/2015 at 16:32

Opel astra 2004 1.6 - Noise Clacking/Tapping coming from engine. - Belurdan

I removed the cover plate to access the belts/pullys and to try and loosen it as you said, and with all my mechanic skills i dont know which one to loosen. so instead i sprayed a little WD-40 on both belts and the nosie went down to a minimum. so my philosiphy of it being in the carb/manifold has now changed, and it makes me tink that it is the belts and/or tensioner.

Any ideas guys?

Also sprayed a little wd-40 into the carbi, which also had a queiting effect.