Nissan Sunny 1989 N13 - Temp & fuel gauge temperamental - JimmyK

Hello,

Got a part time fuel & temp guage on an N13, it will work for the first 10-15 minutes of operation and then just die, until its left to stand then will work again for another brief period. I've had the clocks out and the connections all look okay, but with a car of this era those are probably the two most important guages :)

Really don't want to have to replace the clocks entirely, has anybody any experience of this? Is there some form of regulator in the clock itself.

Cheers.

Nissan Sunny 1989 N13 - Temp & fuel gauge temperamental - elekie&a/c doctor

The voltage regulator for the fuel and temp gauges is at fault.It plugs in to the rear of the instrument pod ,on the printed ciruit.Interestingly ,this was one of the most common faults on this model.Not much else went wrong.

Well I went and bought a new regulator (an L7808) which I read from a US forum for the Pulsar, but there is some subtle differences it seems in terms of the little silver unit where it lives. The guide I have shows the regulator is easily removable but it looks as if the whole thing is a sealed unit, at least on this model.

Guessing that I can't fix it, must have to source a new unit from somewhere. God knows where!

Nissan Sunny 1989 N13 - Temp & fuel gauge temperamental - elekie&a/c doctor

Your car will have the plug in metal canister type,which clips into the pcb.

Yeah it does. The guide I found showed a similar metal plug but with a regulator that was accessible inside. At least on this one without gauging it out I can't see me getting to it.