Ford Mondeo 2006 Mk3 2.0L diesel 130bhp estate - Struggling to start when warm, conflicting advice! - FORD78801

The car will start from cold no problem, but when the engine is warm or hot the car is struggling. It takes about 4 or 5 attempts, but eventually the car will start, but it struggles for about 10 seconds on low revs, then the revs will climb and the engine ticks over fine. The car is driving well and we have seen no drop in power, warning lights or excessive smoke.

I took the car to a mechanic and he advised that the actuator rod on the turbo is not opening when we are trying to start the car, this is therefore ‘choking’ the engine, causing it to struggle.

I therefore rang a nice chap at ‘Turbo Vanes’ to enquire about a cleaning product for the turbo or even a new actuator. He advised that a problem with the actuator would not cause any problems with the car starting and this was definitely not the problem. He further advised that the actuator will ‘flutter’ when the car starts, but does not fully open and would not prevent the car from starting.

After doing some further research I noted that a lot of people had a similar problem to mine and suggested that a software update and recalibration of the injectors may solve the problem.

I therefore rang a Ford dealer. The chap in the service department advised that the software update MAY solve the problem, but not necessarily. He then advised that the actuator rod not opening definitely WOULD prevent the car from starting and then went on to explain that they had the exact same problem I was describing with another model and they had just replaced the turbo and actuator on that car and that HAD solved the problem. He also said that actuators could not be purchased separately however and I know that this is not the case!

So, I appear to be receiving completely conflicting advice from various people, with some saying that a sticky actuator WOULD cause starting problems and some saying that it definitely would NOT! I don’t know what to do!

The car has recently had a replacement cooling fan, replacement alternator about one week ago, replacement battery about 1.5 years ago and many other things, I am therefore at the point now where I am reluctant to spend large amounts of money to keep it on the road.

PLEASE HELP!

Ford Mondeo 2006 Mk3 2.0L diesel 130bhp estate - Struggling to start when warm, conflicting advice! - RobJP

First off : is the car throwing any fault codes. Not necessarily lighting up the dash with faults, but creating and storing faults.

My initial thought is on the lines of the EGR valve sticking. But I'm entirely willing for someone sles to shoot that idea down.

Edited by RobJP on 26/03/2015 at 13:02

Ford Mondeo 2006 Mk3 2.0L diesel 130bhp estate - Struggling to start when warm, conflicting advice! - FORD78801

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, it hasn't been on a fault code reader, so I don't know if any fault codes are being prodcued.

Sorry!

Ford Mondeo 2006 Mk3 2.0L diesel 130bhp estate - Struggling to start when warm, conflicting advice! - nortones2

This might be relevant: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/?t=91400

Try another Ford dealer: yours sounds on the make.....

UPDATE

Thanks for the replies, I have booked the car into the dealership where I bought it from; it's a bit of a drive, but my brother-in-law works there, so I know I'm not going to get ripped-off! They are going to connect it to the diagnostics machine to check for fault codes, update the software and re-calibrate the injectors.

In the meantime I have purchased some Forte turbo cleaner to try and cure the problem of the sticky actuator.

On the back of the bottle it states, "Use only as directed in compression ignition engines in conjunction with Forte advanced Formula Diesel Treatment."

I put some diesel treatement into the car not too long ago and do not have any of the 'Forte advanced formula diesel treatment'. If I use the turbo cleaner on it's own will it cause any damage or problems and will it still be effective in cleaning the turbo vanes?

Many thanks!