Ambulance T-Junction Crash - who's blameworthy? - lw4993
Hello,
I was the driver of an ambulance responding to an emergency 999 call with blue flashing lights activated.

I was pulling right out of a T-Junction that had a giveway sign, the road was good & dry, no sun glare, the junction was on a straight and very open road with a 30mph speed limit.
As I pulled out of the junction there was a car approx 200-300yards approaching from my right, with such a great distance I found it safe to proceed, before crossing over onto the other side of the road I came to a complete stop, this was to ensure the traffic crossing my path had seen my Blues and intention to cross over - these cars had stopped and were giving way for me to proceed, as I look again to my right to make sure it was still safe the car that was approaching had suddenly attempted to swerve around me but the back of her car clipped my drivers front corner.

There were two witnesses who gave statements to police and stated they don't think I was at fault, the third party also admitted fault to my crewmate in the back of the ambulance but not infront of anyone else, the police were edging that it was my fault either.

I'm just looking for clarification to who is blameworthy?
I was clearly visible, the third party had much more space to brake than needed at 30mph and I was stationary past the giveway line.
Ambulance T-Junction Crash - who's blameworthy? - skidpan

Without being present its not possible to give an accurate opinion but even emergency vehicles showing blues and 2's still have to drive safely.

The police will make a decision in time when they have all the facts.

Ambulance T-Junction Crash - who's blameworthy? - Vitesse6

If you were stationary with blue lights flashing, and the other car had plenty of time to stop, then I would say it was their fault.

After all, an awful lot of people turn right out of T junctions in a similar fashion even without the benefit of blue flashing lights!

Ambulance T-Junction Crash - who's blameworthy? - bathtub tom

It seems to me the OP pulled out and stopped across the other cars path.

How visible are an ambulance's flashing lights from the side?

Ambulance T-Junction Crash - who's blameworthy? - Ordovices

How visible are an ambulance's flashing lights from the side?

If it was one of those white based vehicles with yellow and green checked decals, stopped broadside in the middle of a road, it shouldn't be too difficult to spot.

Ambulance T-Junction Crash - who's blameworthy? - martint123

I suspect that in theory it is the fault of the vehicle pulling out of the junction. However that is no excuse for somone driving into you given your explanation.

Hopefully you have plenty of witnesses. It would be interesting to know if plod checked her mobile phone at the time, which I understand is becoming standard practice.

Ambulance T-Junction Crash - who's blameworthy? - dacouch

It's worth bearing in mind that a policeman will be looking at whether any offence has been committed.

A Policeman does not decide who was liable in civil law for an accident so the Insurers will actually work out the liability issues.

Emergency vehicles Insurers (Many are self insured) tend to put up a fight when dealing with the liability of an accident.

The evidence of the police officer and the independent witnesses will be of great help to the Insurers when establishing liability.

It never ceases to surprise me how little attention drivers pay looking out for emergency vehicles and when they do spot them some do not give them the space they need

Ambulance T-Junction Crash - who's blameworthy? - lw4993

Other offences such as?

The Police were pretty content on the roadside and didn't seem to bothered about any offences, breathalysed me and the TP(both passed), the TP was a 68year old female.

I've never had an accident before so how does the process work? Will I be required to go to court, etc? There were no immediate injuries.

Ambulance T-Junction Crash - who's blameworthy? - Avant

Only if the police charge you with an offence, which they seem to have given the impression that they won't.

Ambulance T-Junction Crash - who's blameworthy? - piggy

SInce no injuries were sustained by anyone involved,it is extremely unlikely that the police will prosecute either party. It will be left to the insurance companies to fight it out.

Ambulance T-Junction Crash - who's blameworthy? - TedCrilly

Is your employer not advising and supporting you with this issue? Considering the circumstances surrounding the situation surely they have a duty of care and should be fighting for your corner, even if its only providing legal advice.

Ambulance T-Junction Crash - who's blameworthy? - oldroverboy.

Ditto. Are you in a union, ask them for help.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 29/03/2015 at 18:55

Ambulance T-Junction Crash - who's blameworthy? - slkfanboy

Ambulance with Light has the same right as any other car. The lady did have right of way, so the key point is that you were not moving. Hopefully the 2 witnesses will have made that clear in their statement.