Chrysler Grand Voyager - Roughly how much does it cost repair stem valves - Darkchild101

I have a problem with my 2.5CRD smoking thick black smoke under hard acceleration. When I rev the engine while idling the smoke appears at around 2000rpm. When I start it first thing regardless of how warm or cold, there is a plume of white smoke that disappears after 10 seconds.

I changed the air filter it made no difference. I called AA technical assistance and the guy said it might be stem valve seals and it was a big job. Also said it could be a faulty injector

My question is roughly how much does it cost

1. Leak back test

2. Replacing stem valve seals, how much is it roughly

I am near Edinburgh if anyone can recommend a garage near me

Chrysler Grand Voyager - Roughly how much does it cost repair stem valves - craig-pd130

White smoke on start-up and black smoke under acceleration are usually due to over-fuelling. If there was a problem with the valve guide seals, the smoke would be blue.

It could be something as simple as the engine temperature sensor being faulty, making the ECU think the engine is -20 celsius and injecting too much fuel, or it could be faulty injectors.

I would suggest hooking the car up to a diagnostic computer and seeing if there are any fault codes logged.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - Roughly how much does it cost repair stem valves - skidpan

Has the car ever been chipped/tuning box. See lots of diesels smoking like trains locally and most are driven by young lads who have lowered them and probably fitted chips or tuning boxes.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - Roughly how much does it cost repair stem valves - Darkchild101

I have only had the car 1 year so have no idea if its been chipped or anything like that

The car cut out about 6 months ago after having a new battery fitted. It gave me a code for camshaft sensor. You know Chryslers have the key dance where you turn ignition off and on 3 times and it flashes up a code on the odometer. So could it be related to that then?

Chrysler Grand Voyager - Roughly how much does it cost repair stem valves - craig-pd130

The car cut out about 6 months ago after having a new battery fitted. It gave me a code for camshaft sensor. You know Chryslers have the key dance where you turn ignition off and on 3 times and it flashes up a code on the odometer. So could it be related to that then?

Might not be that specifically, but it sounds to me like there's a dodgy sensor somewhere. I'd look into that first. It's certainly cheaper than removing the cylinder head to check the valve stem seals.

Thanks

So a diagnostic scan would pick up things like faulty egr, sensor issues etc?