Ford Focus 1.5 (115) - Tyre weight and speed ratings - GavinBu

After searching for some new front tyres (Pierlli P7 Blues- awesome BTW) I've noticed that the back tyres are different speed and weight ratings.

205/50 89Y (Goodrich)

205/50 93V (Nexen)

The cars top speed is 168, not sure about the weight. Anyway, according to online databases I should have 205/50/ 93W.

Both the back tyres were put on after punctures and side wall bulges on the orginal tyres, I did querry it, but garages told me it was fine.

Am I going to have trouble if I wrote it off? Had a few prangs and repairs through insurance, nothing said.

Do i need new tyres to be sure?

Ford Focus 1.5 (115) - Tyre weight and speed ratings - skidpan

What is the spec and size of the factory fit tyres, web sites do get things wrong. The info should be in your handbook or on your door pillar or possibly the inside of the fuel cap.

Its perfectly OK to go for tyres with a higher speed and load rating but going lower can potentially create problems after an accident (and not just with your insurers).

For your info a Y rated tyre has a higher speed rating than a W thus you are fine in that respect but you are not OK on load rating.

A V rated tyre has a lower speed rating than a W thus you are not OK but the load rating of that tyre is fine.

My advice is to speak to your insurers first but if I was in your position I would be buying 4 new tyres top match the OEM spec.

The problem is tyre retailers, most are total idiots. Our local indy used to be well respected and still does great trade but whenever I have been in recent years he has tried to sell me tyres with lower speed and load rating than OEM and has been insistent its fine since the UK limit is 70 mph. However, when I requested he would not put down on paper that all would be OK.

One minor point, a 1.5 Focus will not do 168 mph. Lucky if it will do 120 mph.

Ford Focus 1.5 (115) - Tyre weight and speed ratings - Ordovices

kph, perhaps?

Ford Focus 1.6 (115) - Tyre weight and speed ratings - GavinBu

Inside the drivers door it states 'V <160 km/h.' But all tyre websites only give the option of W.

More importantly I can't find the weight index anywhere.

My mistake it's 1.6

Edited by GavinBu on 14/03/2015 at 15:55

Ford Focus 1.6 (115) - Tyre weight and speed ratings - skidpan

Inside the drivers door it states 'V <160 km/h. But all tyre websites only give the option of W.

"V" rated is good for 240 km/h or 149 mph. No idea where you have got 160 km/h from, that would be a "Q" rated tyre which I have honestly never seen.

As I said earlier, refer to your handbook.