Renault Megane Coupe - Shocked by Renault retail group Liverpool - malct

After couple of weeks trying to do a deal with Renault retail group, i finally found a pre reg Renault Megane Coupe with 224 miles on the clock which has spent most of the last 12 months sitting in a compound.

After first seeing the car on Renault retail group web site, i asked for a video to be taken showing and stone chips etc.

During the video, it was pointed out that there was a stone chip and that it would be sorted for me but the rest of the body work was ok apart from a few little marks that would polish out.

I explained that i wanted the car to be in showroom condition since its only got 224 mile on the clock

It was also agreed that i would get mats and £25 worth of fuel, Plus a spare wheel and a jack.

We struck a deal and i paid a deposit and i arranged to pick up the car today with doing a PX on my own car, So i notified the car insurance and changed my car insurance details and headed of to Liverpool this morning.

On inspection of the car, we found two delves in the body work, one on the door that i could have lived with, but a bad one on the bonnet that stood out.

I told the salesperson who i had done the deal with about the body work and he said something along the lines of, what do you expect when its not new car,

I told the salesperson that i was not buying the car in the condition that the car was in and i was pulling out of the deal.

He explained that he was not aware of the delve on the bonnet, but made a offer of £100 to drive the car away and that it would only cost £25 to fix the body work, i disagreed telling him that it would cost a lot more.

Regarding the Fuel, there was only £10 in the tank, he tried to tell me there was £25, plus there was no car mats!!!

All in all, I am shocked regarding Renault customer care, I should have been told about the delves in the body work, There should not expect a comment saying well its not a new car, Plus after arranging fuel and mats in with the deal, these should have been taken care off.

The cost to me including Fuel 280 mile round trip and changes in my car insurance is about £70.

I would like to write to Renault customer care to question there promise www.renaultretail.co.uk/about-us/our-promise/ but no email address to be found!!!

On a positive note, I nearly got the car delivered!!!

Well its back to looking for another car

Renault Megane Coupe - Shocked by Renault retail group Liverpool - Leif
What is a delve?

Small dent!!!

Renault Megane Coupe - Shocked by Renault retail group Liverpool - hillman

delve

vt and chiefly vi (with in or into) to dig (esp with a spade or the hands); to search or rummage deep (with in); to make deep research (); (of a path, road, etc) to dip, slope suddenly.

n (; ) a hollow, hole, depression, a cave.

[OE delfan to dig; connected with dale, delf2, dell1]

I would have written dent, but delve may be a more accurate description.

Renault Megane Coupe - Shocked by Renault retail group Liverpool - Leif
I assume it is regional, some dictionaries say it is archaic.
Renault Megane Coupe - Shocked by Renault retail group Liverpool - daveyK_UK

Im told they have a bad reputation locally, are they part of Arnold Clark?

Renault Megane Coupe - Shocked by Renault retail group Liverpool - Avant

I think you're well out of that one. A year sitting in a compound will have done it no good at all - you'd probably have less trouble with a year-old car with 10,000 miles on the clock.

Renault Megane Coupe - Shocked by Renault retail group Liverpool - gordonbennet

Quite agree Avant, especially if it was last run in the winter salt and spent 12 months with that horrid substance doing its worse unchecked.

Wonder why it sat there, rejected by the first owner?

Good point.

You really need to find out the true reason it has been sitting in their compound.

Its unlikely to be a good one.

Renault Megane Coupe - Shocked by Renault retail group Liverpool - Andrew-T

Moral - don't buy a car sight unseen and 140 miles away. Especially if it has already spent a year outdoors.

Renault Megane Coupe - Shocked by Renault retail group Liverpool - oldroverboy.
Although I have been out of the motor trade for many years nothing shocks me any more. Two of my recent cars were not. Serviced properly in spite of it being requested and agreed, but I was refunded.
Both were big national groups.
Renault Megane Coupe - Shocked by Renault retail group Liverpool - skidpan

The 3 rules of buying a car (or anything for that matter)

Rule 1 Never believe a salesman

Rule 2 Never believe a salesman

Rule 3 Refer to rules 1 and 2

Thank you for your Replys.

I received a Email from Liverpool this morning from the sales person stating that he was holding back my deposit until i returned the new log book that i should get from the DVLA, I emailed him back to say, if the my deposit is not in my bank by tonight, then i would report him to trading standards, within 30 minutes he replied saying that the deposit would be paid into my account today!!! i am not sure if he had the right to send off the log book to the DVLA without me knowing.

Regarding Renault retail group, Its not part of Arnold Clark. Its back to the web sites and to look at other cars i think!!! Maybe i can get more car for my money from another manufacture, any ideas.
Renault Megane Coupe - Shocked by Renault retail group Liverpool - Avant

Tell us a bit more about what sort of car you're looking for and what your budget is.

If, in your precvious search, a Renault Megane coupe was the answer, I wonder what could have been the question.....

Regarding what i am looking for in a car and budget, Total price i am looking at £11500 allowing to use my car as PX which is valued at a dealership at £2000 and a payment of up to £9500

The spec inside the car would be something simular as that in a megane coupe.

looking for a 0 tax if possible. I have been looking at diesels, but i only average 8000 miles a year, so unless the diesel is discounted like the megane was, then it would make more sence to go for a petrol.

Regarding other cars, i dont have a clue whats out there since i have been buying renaults for the last 25 years and before that, i was driving fords.

I used to like the style of seats.

Doing research, Its saying that the ford fiesta is a good car to buy.

since there is only 2 of us in the family, a 3 door would be ideal, the wife on the other hand as taken a shine to the new clio, but its expensive for a small car.

Renault Megane Coupe - Shocked by Renault retail group Liverpool - oldroverboy.
There are just two of us. I bought a Kia Rio 2, which has lots of toys. It is roomy , I am six feet two, seats ok even on long drive. Get a new or nearly new Rio vr7 and you'll get lots for your money in your budget. I'm getting 45mpg overall. £30 ved. Worth trying and very stylish. 7 years warranty too.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 10/03/2015 at 08:28

I agree, the latest Clio is a nice car and a much improved product from Renault but its expensive when compared to others in the sector.

Spent 2 days looking at cars.

Supprising what offers their are out there.

Kia rio with £3000 min trade in, They offered me £4000 trade in and £8000 in Cash, I argued that i was only getting £1000 for my car since the car had a mark up price of £3000

Next was a Citroen Ds3 1.6 e-HDi Airsteam DStyle plus 3 door on a 64 plate and 2500 mile on the clock, Dark Red and black, My car and £9000

New corsa excite 1.2, My car and £9000

Pre reg Peugeot 208 Active 1.2, Might be able to buy for under 10K

On the top of the list is a Pre Reg Renault Clio 0.9 dynamique Media Nav S Energy 5 door for £12000 but offering £1800 for my car

Took the Citroen for a test drive, i think its more for a younger person and the wing mirrors looks odd.

The Kai was good on the test drive, but cheap looking inside.

I have a garage offering me £2000 for my car, so could use that money for the clio. (The wife loves the Clio)