Peugeot 307 SW - EGR cooling leak - DiggerD

Hello all,,

Now,, I have a coolant leak on my 2004 Peugeot 307 2.0 hdi. I've managed to trace it to the back part of the engine and it looks like it could be one of the hoses that go in to the egr cooling system.

I can't seem to find a diagram or decent view of what coolant pipe work looks like back there so I guess I just have to bite the bullet go in and investigate it... so my question is: what is the easiest way to access that rear area of the engine,? I've read all sorts of horror stories about having to drop the engine out to get back there. I've also read that you could undo the top engine mount and the panal under the windscreen and the engine will tip froward and give anough room to work back there,, can any help me with a discription of the best way to work this out,,

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated..

Peugeot 307 SW - EGR cooling leak - Gibbo_Wirral

You can get to it by removing the windscreen scuttle and associated parts, but the gap is still extrememly narrow and you have to work blind.

Have a look on peugeotforums.com because there have been a few 307 members who have experience of work on the EGR valve (mainly blanking of it!)

You don't state which engine 307 you have, there are some very good diagrams on servicebox. I've picked a 2L 110bhp DPF model for you:

i26.photobucket.com/albums/c134/gibbo501/110egr.jp...l

Are you sure its a coolant leak from that area?

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 02/03/2015 at 13:30

I'm pretty sure it's coming from that area, but lack of access makes it difficult to be 100%.

Basically it's running down one of the hoses that I can see from underneath, so all I can say for sure is that's it's to the rear of the engine and coming from higher up because of the wet trail coming down the hose. From what I can figure out, it seems the only coolant hoses behind there are the ones for cooling the EGR... I think......

What do you reckon about the ability to get the engine to tilt forward just by undoing the top engine mount?

You were spot on with the engine type, sorry about that.. thanks so very much for your help,, I will go over to the peugoet forum right now....

Peugeot 307 SW - EGR cooling leak - hardway

First time I did one of these I used the mirror glass from a door mirror to see what I was doing.

Once I got the hang of everything being reversed I actualy found the job not too bad!

A bit tight in places but do-able without all that engine mount nonsense.

At least for removing the entire unit.

But for this kind of unknown leak I'd try a can of stop leak first.

Everyone has a preference,

Mines "Wynns stop leak"

I tried the stop leak last week without success, apparently they don't work so good on hose leaks..

Sounds like I'll have to get the mirror out,,

Thanks for the help...