Renault Megane - Change of Number Plate - malct

Hi All

Last week i applied to put my Number plates on retention due to buying a 1 year old car.

I am hoping that i will be picking up the car at the end of the week all going well.

At the moment my car tax has just ran out and the DVLA will not allow me to tax my car on line because my old number plate is not on the system anymore, But they told me on the phone that i can pay over the phone to tax the car for a year, but they wont tell me the cars new reg number to tax it on line, I want to pay direct debit monthly to avoid paying £180 and that way i wont have to wait 6 weeks for the refund!!!

They told me that i cant drive the car unless its taxed, the new reg documents are in the post, But they told me to expect the letter mid week, So it looks like i will have to pay the full £180.

Can anyone advise me on the following.

Do the DVLA give you a time limit to put the new plates on?

When do i have to tell the insurance company of the new number? Straight away or when the plates go on.

In a ideal world, I would like to just take my car into the dealership, allow him to put the new plates on and phone the insurance company of the change of car.

Regarding the personal number on my car, I just wished that i had just let the plate go with the car due to the hassle of changing plates, my car is showing a 51 plate on a 09 car.

Finally, even if i tax the car today, I would still not know the car Reg Number!!!

Renault Megane - Change of Number Plate - skidpan

The DVLA need to provide you with the reg number, you need it to get plates made. Without them you cannot legally use the car on the road even if it is taxed.

that way i wont have to wait 6 weeks for the refund

You don't have to wait 6 weeks for a refund. Did one in October last year and one in November, each took about 2 weeks max.