Road Tax - Ben 10
The current road tax system will surely be up for an overhaul or reboot sometime soon.

There are too many cars qualifying for low or zero fees for a years tax. The loser is the exchequer. Those of us with low tax, should enjoy it while it lasts. The more economical or electric our cars become the current discounts they qualify now for, will be unsustainable long term.

So what do the BRs think will replace the current system of road taxing? Pay as you go, tax added to fuel, weight of vehicle or any other fair system for both the vehicle users and government alike.

As far as I know, no party has addressed this issue ahead of the election. But what do you think will replace the current system?
Road Tax - Wackyracer

I can't see it ever being added to the fuel. I can however see it being on a pay as you go system with GPS tracking, they will most likely also charge more for busier times of the day and the roads used.

The zero road tax for classic cars over 25 years soon came to an end.

Road Tax - Vitesse6

Obvious way to go is to put it on fuel. At least that way no one can avoid it and payment is proportional to usage. It will however be a brave politician who increases fuel prices and so I don't suppose we will see it happen.

Road Tax - jamie745

It'll probably be tweaked a bit in the next few years as the Government are now losing money because too many people did as they were told and bought a low emission car. Granted they try to make up the shortfall every year with rapacious assaults on Jaguar owners' wallets but even that has failed to fill the financial void.

I don't think we'll see anything as radical as getting rid of it and adding it to the fuel because there's too many unionised administrators dependant on administering the tax for that. I really don't think we'll see GPS road pricing in any near future. The public kicked it out over a decade ago and public feeling if anything has hardened, rather than softened to the idea - setting it up would cost billions the Government hasn't got anyway.

I think the Government will conclude the simplest solution is the best one. If they're not bringing in enough cash from the tax - raise the tax. Then all those people paying £20 a year for their Prius better watch out cos that'll be first up for the chop.

Road Tax - Armitage Shanks {p}

Vehicle Excise Duty (not Tax) should be added to fuel IMO, because

1. There is already a mechanism in place to collect it

2. It can't be avoided

3. The amount a person pay would reflect the number of miles driven

4. Tourists using cars would pay it

Road Tax - gordonbennet

Very sensible AS, so it will never happen.

Also makes a level playing field, thats not on, the manufactured public enemy number one won't be 'punished' for their 'wrong' choices... 4x4 chelsea tractors previously, all high VED cars currently, soon to be all Diesels (the ones people were encouraged to buy five minutes ago) judging by recent propaganda.

The only fly in the ointment with 4 is that those with big/extra fuel tanks (and carry a few jerries) can, as foreign lorries do now, drive for near on 1500 miles on the cheaper fuel they brought in, enough to get back with in some cases....but i agree with you in principle.

By the way, VED may be the name for it, but its still just another tax, on the money they, the govt of the day, have already taken from us before we even saw it, VED doesn't sound and isn't any friendlier to the cuddly polar bears than road tax.

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/03/2015 at 07:34

Road Tax - jamie745

Vehicle Excise Duty (not Tax)

How is it not tax?

Money paid to the state is tax. Especially if not paying carries the threat of prosecution. That's like the dictionary definition of tax.

Edited by jamie745 on 02/03/2015 at 18:12

Road Tax - oldroverboy.
Saving myself £150 a year against my old car, as are many others, coupled with being a smaller engine, smaller lighter car, less fuel consumption too. Lower insurance costs too, so less tax for the exchequer on all of this.

Expecting ved to rise, but will be political suicide for any political party to restore to old levels in one hit.

So as I wrote in another post, locally they are providing me with a free bus pass... It's ok 'cos I effectively paid not to use my car for local trips..

But oh.. They are thinking of removing pensioners concessions for bus passes.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 02/03/2015 at 07:31

Road Tax - Auristocrat

Adding the cost onto fuel could be seen as another tax on business (taxing those who do higher mileages - more cost for company car drivers, delivery vehicles, etc) which the present government won't be in favour of.

Increased costs for companies would almost certainly be passed onto the consumer in the form of increased prices, etc. So everyone whether directly or indirectly, would be paying more.

The obvious way to increase revenue from road tax would be to increase tax on pre Euro IV diesels.

Edited by Auristocrat on 02/03/2015 at 08:31

Road Tax - ExA35Owner

VED is not progressive. Poorer people who inevitably run older cars which are less fuel-efficient are doubly penalised: higher fuel costs (and duty and VAT on the fuel), and higher VED as well. Moving all the tax to fuel would not help with this. One benefit would be that more VAT would be reclaimable as input VAT by businesses, so their costs would be reduced.

Consideration is needed for people who live in remote areas and have no access to public transport. They necessarily do high mileages and a transfer from VED to fuel duty would hit them proportionately hard.

Until recently the VED routine meant that MoT and insurance were checked at least annually. Now that's been computerised, there is no benefit from the checks.

Road Tax - skidpan

The zero road tax for classic cars over 25 years soon came to an end

Really.

From the .gov website ?"You don’t have to pay vehicle tax on vehicles made before 1 January 1974 (known as ‘historic vehicles’)."

Agreed it not 25 years (like it was when originally introduceed in the 90's for pre 1972 cars) but it still exists. I think the date is now moved annually.

Road Tax - Wackyracer

Really.

From the .gov website ?"You don’t have to pay vehicle tax on vehicles made before 1 January 1974 (known as ‘historic vehicles’)."

Agreed it not 25 years (like it was when originally introduceed in the 90's for pre 1972 cars) but it still exists. I think the date is now moved annually.

What exactly is your point?

Yes, Really!

Way back when John Smith (I believe) was in government they brought in the 25 year rule which they later froze in 1997 meaning only cars before Jan 1973 were Zero tax rated.

Having now re introduced it at 40 years is not the same and anyone owning a 1974 classic car has paid out for the last 18 years of road tax due to this.

Road Tax - skidpan

What exactly is your point?

If you cannot read and understand the contents of my original message you clearly have an issue.

But I will try and make it simple.

Zero road tax for classic cars still exists but its now 40 years (hopefully moving every year) and not the original 25 years which was a frozen date.

Road Tax - Andrew-T

<< If you cannot read and understand the contents of my original message you clearly have an issue. >>

Skidpan, please stop snapping short-temperedly at other posters for failing to infer what you yourself were failing to make clear. It wasn't obvious to me either, so make of that what you like.

Road Tax - madf

John Smith died before Labour came to power.

Road Tax - Wackyracer

I think it is quite clear to see that anyone owning a classic car registered later than Jan 1973 would have been paying road tax for the last 18 years.

Road Tax - Snakey

With 80 odd percent tax on fuel it could be argued that road tax should be abolished as we're already paying on a usage basis.

Road pricing would be a nightmare, imagine the IT systems needed to manage that - and how well government IT systems have performed in the past.

Personal transport is one of the best things to happen to modern mankind and its about time we stopped beating ourselves up over it and concentrated on finding new fuels and safer cars.

Road Tax - skidpan

I think it is quite clear to see that anyone owning a classic car registered later than Jan 1973 would have been paying road tax for the last 18 years.

That is quite true.

But it is very different to:

Which was the point I raised in my first post on this subject.

Road Tax - skidpan

<< If you cannot read and understand the contents of my original message you clearly have an issue. >>

Skidpan, please stop snapping short-temperedly at other posters for failing to infer what you yourself were failing to make clear. It wasn't obvious to me either, so make of that what you like

To Andrew-T, my comment was not aimed at you so why are you so bothered. If the poster it was aimed at has something to say he will surely be able to comment on his own behalf.

Road Tax - Gibbo_Wirral

I'm also bothered. Your bad attitude is prevalent on many threads and doesn't do this community any favours.

Road Tax - skidpan

I'm also bothered. Your bad attitude is prevalent on many threads and doesn't do this community any favours

Read the thread before making such comments.

I replied to a comment made by Wackyracer because it was not correct. Surely I am allowed to do this.

Wackyracer repiled asking "what was my point", as I said if that was not obvious he has an issue.

Andrew-T then joined in for no reason other than for his own personal satisfaction (I guess).

As far as I am concerned its not me, its the others.

If Avant had an issue he would be edditing my posts.

Road Tax - oldroverboy.

Handbags , Dears, Put away.

Road Tax - brum

Apart from the big tax rake from poorer people running older cars doing only 2000 miles a year, I've always thought that the road tax system was a way of enforcing the MOT test.

Road Tax - skidpan

Apart from the big tax rake from poorer people running older cars doing only 2000 miles a year, I've always thought that the road tax system was a way of enforcing the MOT test.

With electronic checking they can check MOT status without the annual VED purchase.

With our vehicle use tax on fuel would probably save us a fortune. We currently spend £500 a year on VED and do about 23,000 miles a year. At an average of 45 mpg and 10p a litre extra that would cost us £232, a useful saving. A driver doing 20,000 miles at 50 mpg would spend an extra £182 a year, bit of a downer if he drives a £30 a year car.

But I have had one large reservation about its introduction for years.

Government abolishes VED and puts say 10 pence a litre on fuel. But a few years down the line someone thinks why don't we reintroduce VED (under a different name of course) to raise some revenue. Bet they would not reduce the fuel tax. Then year on year both the new VED and fule tax would rise and we would all be worse off.

While I can buy decent cars at £30 a year VED I say leave the system as it is.

Road Tax - brum

With electronic checking they can check MOT status without the annual VED purchase.

But DVLA dont issue mot reminders where as they do VED. If they abolished VED, more cars would run without valid mot and a plea of "no-one reminded me" would be common.

VED bands and pricing are reviewed every budget time and anyone who thinks fairness or greenness comes into it is deluded. Its purely a revenue calculation versus election PR contest. Expect a major price rise across the board at first budget after the election, VED, fuel duty and vat....

Road Tax - skidpan

If they abolished VED, more cars would run without valid mot and a plea of "no-one reminded me" would be common

Ignorance or stupidity is no defence.

VED bands and pricing are reviewed every budget time and anyone who thinks fairness or greenness comes into it is deluded

OK, I must be deluded

Started paying £35 a year for a band C car in 2008 and after one of the annual revievs it dropped to £30. Very happy with that (wifes not, she pays £110 for a car that does more mpg).

The only bands that have had large increases are for the gas guzzlers and in my view that is fair.

Road Tax - brum

OK, I must be deluded

Started paying £35 a year for a band C car in 2008 and after one of the annual revievs it dropped to £30. Very happy with that (wifes not, she pays £110 for a car that does more mpg)

So that is fair and green? I rest my case

Road Tax - pd

Started paying £35 a year for a band C car in 2008 and after one of the annual revievs it dropped to £30. Very happy with that (wifes not, she pays £110 for a car that does more mpg).

The only bands that have had large increases are for the gas guzzlers and in my view that is fair.

But that is totally unsustainable in the longer term. Every time a new car goes on the road a £0 or £30 tax one tends to replace a £285 one. Result: drop in revenue.

A huge percentage of cars now being sold are virtually zero VED (even a 5-Series M-Sport is £30) so in a few years time the cost of administration will be more than it raises.

Either VED will be abolished or rates for newer cars will have to rise dramatically.

Road Tax - skidpan

Either VED will be abolished or rates for newer cars will have to rise dramatically.

Maybe the latter will be the case but if you have a car in one of the lowest bands you will still be paying one of the lowest VED rates.

Unless you have a crystal ball who knows what the future will bring.

20 years ago I did not expect to be paying £30 VED on a car with 140PS and a 0-60 time of 8.1 seconds.

Road Tax - pd

20 years ago I did not expect to be paying £30 VED on a car with 140PS and a 0-60 time of 8.1 seconds.

Nor did the Government, which is the problem. Nothing will happen till post election - it is a political hot potato. All parties know it is a big issue, but they are all scared of it. There was meant to be a major VED review last year but got delayed until after the election.

Inevitably they will move the goal posts so a 120g/km car becomes a "high emissions" car but whether that will be retrospective who knows.

Road Tax - Auristocrat

DVLA maintain a database for VED. They access a Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency database for MOT records, and the Motor Insurers Database for insurance details.

Having made major changes to the way VED is administered from October 2014, why should government now ditch that system for a completely different system? As far as government is concerned, the current system works and has been made more efficient by handling more business on-line.

Road Tax - Ordovices

I replied to a comment made by Wackyracer because it was not correct. Surely I am allowed to do this

Not in my experience :)

Road Tax - skidpan

OK, I must be deluded

Started paying £35 a year for a band C car in 2008 and after one of the annual revievs it dropped to £30. Very happy with that (wifes not, she pays £110 for a car that does more mpg)

So that is fair and green? I rest my case

Fron my point of view its cheap so it must be fair.

But is any car actually green, never in my book.

Edited by skidpan on 03/03/2015 at 16:10

Road Tax - Sofa Spud

If you have to drive someone else's vehicle, how can you be sure it's taxed now tax discs have been abolished?

Edited by Sofa Spud on 03/03/2015 at 16:11

Road Tax - skidpan

If you have to drive someone else's vehicle, how can you be sure it's taxed now tax discs have been abolished?

Use this website

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

All you need is the reg and make.

Tells you the tax and MOT dates but you still need to ensure its insurred.

Edited by skidpan on 03/03/2015 at 16:14

Road Tax - Wackyracer
I replied to a comment made by Wackyracer because it was not correct. Surely I am allowed to do this

I'm still not sure why my comment was not correct. I wrote "The zero road tax for classic cars over 25 years soon came to an end

Now I can't remember the exact year when they introduced the Zero road tax for cars over 25 years old but, I know it was only for a few years until it ended in 1997. So I would personally class that as 'soon coming to an end'.

The fact a similar scheme has now been introduced 18 years later is not the same thing.

I'm not having a dig at Skidpan, I genuinely just could not see what his angle was as the two schemes are not the same.

Road Tax - Andrew-T

<< Andrew-T then joined in for no reason other than for his own personal satisfaction (I guess). >>

Perhaps sometimes your guesses are wrong? I merely took mild exception to your tone, which often seems unnecessarily testy. Maybe you do not express yourself tactfully enough.

<< As far as I am concerned its not me, its the others. >>

Ah yes. They're all out of step except our Johnny.

Road Tax - oldroverboy.
GIRLS!! Handbags at dawn?

Look up the official version of the classic car free tax disc
And then come back.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 03/03/2015 at 21:36

Road Tax - Avant

Agreed, ORB.

Everyone, please keep this discussion civilised, or the virtual blue pencil wil have to come out. I wouldn't have thought it an exciting enough topic for virtual fisticuffs.

Road Tax - skidpan

I'm not having a dig at Skidpan, I genuinely just could not see what his angle was as the two schemes are not the same

As far as I am concerned there has only been one scheme.

It was introduced in 1995 for vehicles 25 years or older and in 1998 it was modified (frozen to 01 Jan 1973). Now its been extended and will apply to vehicles 40 years and older.

But if you want to be pedantic there have been 3 schemes

1995 - 1998

1998 - 2014

2014 - onwards.

Road Tax - slkfanboy

Lorries make most use of the roads and break them the most too. I would rather all those polish registered truckers pay for the use they make of our roads. So maybe each time they come into the country they pay a fee say £25 per day to use their truck in the UK.

UK registered Cars could have it added to Car Insurance rather than petrol and may be make illegal to insure a car without presenting a valid MOT certificate (max 3 months old).

Or would that put all those DVLA people out of a job and make the unemployment figures really bad?

Road Tax - alan1302

Do non-polish truckers destroy the roads or is it just polish drivers?

Road Tax - slkfanboy

If accidents are anything to go by then the biggest culprits are truckers from Poland, according to Department of Transport statistics.

Road Tax - alan1302

You got any links?

Road Tax - carr

France abolished the 'vignette' road tax , not least because it was a bureaucratic bother to collect.

They put the price of fuel up to compensate, that's why diesel is now a shocking 82 pence and petrol 95 pence a liter here.

Edited by carr on 05/03/2015 at 16:56