TOYOTA AVENSIS - TOYOTA AVENSIS 2.0 D4D 2005 HEAVY CLUTCH PEDAL - VEC786

Does anyone know what would cause a heavy clutch pedal, when you depress the clutch its really heavy to a point where your knees hurt after a shift.

could it be the pressure plate or the master cylinder?

can you help?

avensis 55 2.0 diesel engine code 1cd-ftv 141,000.

no slipping and bites at the same place as it did on 84000

TOYOTA AVENSIS - TOYOTA AVENSIS 2.0 D4D 2005 HEAVY CLUTCH PEDAL - Peter.N.

Has it got heavy suddenly or gradually?

I am going to say gradually Peter. started around 120,000

Peter what were you thinking?

I was trying to establish whether a fault had occured or was it due to wear, from what you say it sounds like wear. Some clutches do get heavier as they wear, the XM diesels I used to run never had a light clutch but when worn you needed both feet!

Is it a hydraulic or cable clutch? If its cable lubricating the shaft that goes through the bell housing can make a difference especially if there is any corrosion.

Sorry, just noticed that you mention a master cylinder so obviously not cable so unless the release mechanism has got stiff somehow I think it must be down to the pressure plate.

TOYOTA AVENSIS - TOYOTA AVENSIS 2.0 D4D 2005 HEAVY CLUTCH PEDAL - madf

I suspect the DMF is on its way out...

what makes you say that. I cannot understand how a worn DMF can make a heavy clutch pedal.

there is no extra vibration. there is no noise on idle and the tone does not change when the pedal is depressed. nor is there any judder at biting point.

the flywheel might be worn at 140,000 but I dont not think this is causing the heavy clutch pedal.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes its down to wear. its hydraulic mate. Yes could do with another leg pressing it. I am just trying to figure out a way to remove the slave clyinder without removing the clutch line so I can rule out the master clyinder.