Best van for under £4000? - gbarter2015

Hello!

I've been spending countless brain numbing hours reading comments and reviews and don't seem to be any clearer on what to go for!

I need a van for my decorating business, I'll put in seats for the family if it doesn't already have them in the back, plus a couple of windows so they can see out! I also want to keep most of my gear inside and still have room for prams etc. so my existing estate car is too small. (Citroen C5)

I seem to be stuck between either a Ford Transit, around 2004/5 and a Renault Trafic, 2004/5. But keep reading equal news about the negatives on both, to the point now I've lost my mind!!! Arghhhh.

Can you give any advice?

Something SWB, Diesel, and low roof. Less than £4000 with reasonable miles.

Oh and it will be pulling our caravan! (I'll put extra seats/windows.tow kit later on if van hasn't got them)

Graham in South Wales

Edited by gbarter2015 on 28/02/2015 at 17:17

Best van for under £4000? - elekie&a/c doctor

I would think the Transit is probably the best all -rounder at this age. A 10 year old Trafic and similar Vivaro and Primastar are best avoided.Low mileage could be a problem as most commercials of this age could have done in excess of 200k miles.Also Transit parts are esaily available second hand.Watch out for body corrosion in front and rear wheel arches and inner wing areas.

Best van for under £4000? - mss1tw

I would think the Transit is probably the best all -rounder at this age. A 10 year old Trafic and similar Vivaro and Primastar are best avoided.Low mileage could be a problem as most commercials of this age could have done in excess of 200k miles.Also Transit parts are esaily available second hand.Watch out for body corrosion in front and rear wheel arches and inner wing areas.

Agree with elekie, Transits are good vans but rust easily. Timing chain too, I think rather than a belt.

Best van for under £4000? - bernie123

Consider a Toyota HiAce diesel. Bought mine with 60000 miles on it 3 years old in 2000. I have now owned it for 14 years and its now done pushing 130000 and I can honestly say it's been ultra reliabe. The only repairs I have done are tyres, exhaust, brake pads and a couple of brake pipes for the MOT.

Still on the original clutch.

Google them and you will find they are well thought of.

Transit seems a good choice although maybe a little industrial for a family vehical towing a caravan maybe, unless I really pimp the outside up and make it look like a dayvan or something!

Had a look at the HiAce and it seems like a good van, they style just doesnt float my boat though. I'm loving the vivaro design although all I read are negative reviews.

Another choice would be the newer shape Relay/Boxer/Ducato as they seem to have ok reviews, but doesn't seem to be as many about.

I'm spending way to much time looking into this but can't seem to make that decision, I guess I'll look at something nearby that suddenly comes and takes my fancy.

Oh, and I'm a huge fan of American Day vans, but not at those MPG's!!

Best van for under £4000? - elekie&a/c doctor

Interestingly,some of the relay/boxer/ducato models use Ford transit engines.

VW Transporter would be the closest thing to a UK spec day van then

Best van for under £4000? - Wackyracer

My fathers company bought a Nissan Primastar (renault traffic) and it was much heavier on the fuel than the Transits.

Best van for under £4000? - daveyjp
Wouldn't it be easier to find a van conversion motorhome with rear passenger seats already fitted and take out the bits that aren't required rather than spend money on converting a van?

Many caravan sites also don't permit commercial vehicles towing caravans.

Yes it could be difficult on campsites from what I've been reading, but as long as the van looks more car like with a few stripes and windows, all should be fine!

When I come to buy something I'll certainly keep my mind open for converted vans and unconverted van, I do love converting myself but could do without the hassle of fitting windows and chairs! but still, it will be in my own design.

Transit so far, but wont cast any other ideas out of the window! :-)

I keep looking at the Traffic as I consider it perfect, but I'm struggling to find balanced reviews. Everyone seems to publish poor reviews, is it really that bad?

Bare in mind most vans are working trade vehicles, and despite the owner being reliant on the thing, are lucky to see a decent servicing regime.

Find a good one and you might be OK.

Regarding the 'Test Reports' websites, it seems both Transit, Trafic, Vivaro & Transporter all have 3 stars out of 5.

Mostly you get one star people having a rant about their van, not matter what it is and even on the Honest John reviews the Transit fairs the same as the Trafic.

As you said, to get a good one its a case of finding one that has been looked after and hopefully serviced. I guess it's always going to be a risk although I want to minimise the risk as after spending out £4k I wont be able to fix a gear box etc without it going on the credit card!

Well I've got 5 weeks before I can start going out and looking properly, and the research will continue. I think in the end a Trafic will look better pulling a caravan and it's closer to a car, and I don't want to chuck painting gear in the back of a nice MPV!

Thanks for all the comments. :-)

Best van for under £4000? - Steveieb

The Traffic/Vivaro was featured on Watchdog. Several owners complained of failed injectors which were impossible to remove until a special tool costing over £1000 was developed.

A local garage has 7 Vivaros off the road with this problem. In addition the van suffers from gearbox problems which involves a complete engine out to fix.

Such a shame as the Vivaro is UK produced and gives hundreds of jobs in the Luton area. The Transit plant has moved to Eastern Europe lock stock and barrel .

My son has two transits and has been pleased with them. Always in demand he regularly gets Post Its on the window inviting him to sell. Yet to see a Vivaro in such demand !

Well there certainly seems to be a stronger case for a Transit, and I do like the van. As long as I get it to look like a car/camper all will be well! I will also look out for a pre converted too. :-)

Edited by gbarter2015 on 04/03/2015 at 13:48