Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - No Luck
Two weeks ago I decided to drive to the pub for a quick pint.
Parked my car entered the pub, had a pint and then decided to leave the car and have a couple of pints on a short pub crawl. After three pints in three different pubs, I walked home.
Two and half hours later police turned up at my flat and arrested me for drink driving. Took me to the local police station and breathalysed me. I was over the limit( 63mg).
I explained that I had left my vehicle and returned home and continued to have a couple of drinks indoors before going to bed.
They they did not believe me, I have been bailed to return in a months time. Presumably to be charged.
The reason why they turned up at my door is because my car was stolen, I presume some time after I left the pub / pubs. My car keys are missing, so they where obviously stolen from my jacket pocket at some time that evening.
The car was also involved in an accident not far from where I had parked it and it has sustained substantial damage.
I have contacted a solicitor who is willing to represent me.
My insurance company has suspended my claim and I have a telephone interview soon with the insurance validation team.

This is a complete nightmare.

Has anyone else suffered anything similar?
Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - Bromptonaut

Your plight is astonishingly similar to the story woven by any number of over limit drivers who crash on way home. Police are bound to be suspicious.

What is there in way of evidence from friends on pub crawl, landlords/staff, CCTV or fingerprints in your car to corroborate your account? Be guided by your lawyer.

I was drinking on my own, there is no CCTV as far as I am aware, not sure about finger prints.
I have not had any fingerprints, photos or DNA taken.
The police presented me with a pice of paper that has my Name and address on it, they said it was given to the owner of the vehicle that my car collided with (apparently parked)
In my interview, I said it did not look the same as my handwriting but they suggested that a couple of the letters looked the same and will get a writing expert to confirm.
This appears to be there main evidence as they searched my flat and took items that had my writing on.

Kind Regards
Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - galileo

Your plight is astonishingly similar to the story woven by any number of over limit drivers who crash on way home. Police are bound to be suspicious.

What is there in way of evidence from friends on pub crawl, landlords/staff, CCTV or fingerprints in your car to corroborate your account? Be guided by your lawyer.

From your post, the pub where you left the car was within walking distance anyway, which makes Police wonder why you took it there in the first place.

Exactly! Why would I drive my car less than a mile to have a drink, why would anyone take that risk if they knew they was going to have more than 2 pints.
That was not my original intention but I changed my mind. The three pubs I visited where on my way home.
Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - TedCrilly

So what evidence does exsist that backs up your version of events?

However in saying that I wouldnt worry too much. I am sure forsensics will identify the fact that someone other than you was driving at the time of the accident.

Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - No Luck
The only evidence that I have to support my case appears to be a text I sent my girlfriend when I got home " Home now love". Apparently the accident happened about an hour after this text was sent.
Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - TedCrilly

Errrr......all that does is prove you sent a text at a certain time. Can you prove you didnt go back out after you sent it?

At the risk of sounding factitous I hope your lawyer is a good one!

Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - Bromptonaut

The apparent existence of note with OP's name etc left on damaged car must give forensics quite a bit to go on? And why a scarpering twocer would leave such note must be puzzle to plod too.

Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - dacouch

Leaving your name and address would indicate the driver was either you or someone you know.

Do they have a description of the driver of the car?

Who are you insured with as some Insurers will exclude damage to your own vehicle and some will also exclude damage to the other vehicle eg they will pursue you for any monies they pay out to other parties if you're convicted of drink driving.

Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - Gordon17

Just out of interest where was your car when the police came to your house?

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - Andrew-T
Exactly! Why would I drive my car less than a mile to have a drink, why would anyone take that risk if they knew they was going to have more than 2 pints.

From where I sit, I would ask why you drove to the pub at all, unless you thought you might not be able to walk back? Was it raining?

Strange story, but it looks like a hard one to argue out of .... sorry.

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - Simon

Did the steering wheel airbag depoy, if so there will be the dna of whoever was driving on the airbag itself...

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - Dwight Van Driver

First thoughts on reading this post I agree with the sentiments of others ^^^^ above

BUT, what if the account is true???

One hell of a pickle to get out of and just as difficult for Plod to prove that essential element "drive" No body it seems saw him leave in the vehicle and no admission. Case has to be proved 'beyond any reasonable doubt'

But what if they say "in charge". Again difficulty on both sides.

The fact that the poster is the Reg Keeper of the vehicle cannot be inferrred that he was the driver - more evidence is required of their actual involvement in the driving of the vehicle is required so it was held in the case [R v Collins 1994]

As to whether CPS would run the case on the evidnce obtained by Plod (which we are not privy to) is unknown.

Becuase of the gravity of the offence a session with a Solicitor seems prudent.

dvd

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - skidpan

Have I misunderstood this.

Your car gets stolen and involved in a RTC.

The driver then leaved a note at the scene with the owners details on it.

But was that note left by the driver? Since it all presumably happened close to the OP's home a passerby could have witnessed the accident and recognised the car/driver and instead of calling plod left a note because the car did not stop.

Normally car thieves do not leave notes at the scene. They might be stupid but they are not that stupid.

And how would the thief know the owners details unless they knew the owner.

Normally car thieves do not leave notes at the scene. They might be stupid but they are not that stupid.

Driver in this case got home and went to bed before being roused by plod and taken to station a bit later. He still blew 1.75 times the legal limit for alcohol in breath.

Alterntative constructions from a sceptical coppers perspective might involve actions of a driver incapacitated by drink and acting irrationally.

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - Armitage Shanks {p}

Where were the car keys when the police called at your home, or have I missed something in the record of events?

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 03/03/2015 at 05:54

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - Dwight Van Driver

AS : -

My car keys are missing, so they where obviously stolen from my jacket pocket at some time that evening.

??????

dvd

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - slkfanboy

It seems there are a number of open area the points should be invested.

1) The note left at the scene with the OP’s name and address, how would a thief know this

2) The person who gave the note to OP should be identifiable by the other person involved in the RTA.

3) The TXT message could be tracked back to the mobile phone masts and a rough location identified

I suspect without the Police investigation eliminating these points a good solicitor could drive a train though their case. A case must be proven and would need solid fact to back it up.

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - RobJP

It seems there are a number of open area the points should be invested.

1) The note left at the scene with the OP’s name and address, how would a thief know this

2) The person who gave the note to OP should be identifiable by the other person involved in the RTA.

3) The TXT message could be tracked back to the mobile phone masts and a rough location identified

I suspect without the Police investigation eliminating these points a good solicitor could drive a train though their case. A case must be proven and would need solid fact to back it up.

.1 It was the OP who left the note, in his drunken haze.

2. This the OP does not make clear. I'd have thought the other person giving a description of the driver would clear this up. Maybe they have done, and the person is remarkably similar in appearance to our 'victim' ?

3. Unless in highly urban areas, mobile phone location from masts in not exact.

All the OP can realistically do is to pay for an independent forensic investigator to examine the car, with a view to obtaining any DNA from the 'car thief'.

I'm personally of the opinion that the OP got drunk, drove home, had a crash, left a note, walked the rest of the way home, had a few more drinks, dozed off, and only on waking up have they realised what they've done. 'Lose' the keys, and BINGO, their car was stolen, and someone else was responsible. Who just happened to be there, and just happened to steal their keys, and just happened to have a crash, and just happened to know the address of the person who's keys they had stolen ...

Edited by RobJP on 04/03/2015 at 14:07

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - piggy

Perhaps the OP should have prefaced his post with "once upon a time".

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - Avant

No Luck - if you see this and find people unsympathetic, read carefully Bromptonaut's post immediately after your original post. The problem is that people are remarkably inventive when faced with a charge of drink-driving - and the police have heard so many stories just like yours before.

Your 'only evidence' - the text to your girlfriend - won't help you as it could have been sent from anywhere (hence the expression 'mobile phone'). If your story is the truth, you will need to get a good lawyer and a lot of forensic evidence.

Edited by Avant on 09/03/2015 at 21:16

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - skidpan

But surely under British law you are inocent until proven guilty. Even though I agree that based on the information provided the OP was probably the driver and is looking for a way out the Police will still have to provide evidence to prove that before he can be found guilty. If the note is in his handwriting that will be the evidence but if it is not and nothing else is found he will walk free.

But surely under British law you are inocent until proven guilty. Even though I agree that based on the information provided the OP was probably the driver and is looking for a way out the Police will still have to provide evidence to prove that before he can be found guilty.

Drink driving cases are summary trial before lay Magistrates or a single District Judge. Lay Magistrates in particular are fairly hard nosed and while matters have improved greatly over last forty years they're still quite fond of police evidence.

A jury might just acquit, if only on basis of 'there but for grace of god...'. But DD cases have been summary only since the seventies.

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - Raxiel

Having seen the carnage a drunk driver can cause, I hope your story is true OP, otherwise you'd deserve everything you got.

If you have an Android phone (Don't know about iPhone or Windows Phone) and you have Google Location history turned on, that may well be able to verify your location (& time) far better than asking the phone company about masts.

If your story is true that might be enough to clear you.

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - Cris_on_the_gas

The OP hasn't been back recently, perhaps he's nipped out for a pint or two !

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - dacouch

It would have been appropriate if the car thief had not only left the OP's address at the accident but had kept updating this thread for him.

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - concrete

'Innocent unless proven guilty' is the maxim of British law. Therefore the OP has no choice but to present his case and await the outcome. Unlikely to be favourable from what I have read. However I cannot see the police throwing excessive resources at this case i.e forensic examinations and tests, therefore the CPS might just take a flyer on the prima facea evidence or maybe they won't. All will be revealed but it does prove that truth can be stranger than fiction. Can the OP keep us informed or has he gone to ground due to lack of sympathy?

Cheers Concrete

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - Rats

Maybe he hasn't come back as there are too many negative, sarcastic replies, he may well be innocent, of everyone on this thread, only he knows the truth.

Kia Sportage - Stolen Car and Accused of Drink Driving - Leif

Maybe he hasn't come back as there are too many negative, sarcastic replies, he may well be innocent, of everyone on this thread, only he knows the truth.

It sounds made up and he came here to find a way to support it. Of course I may be wrong, but there are too many unlikely coincidences. He leaves car at pub, but keys are stolen by someone who knows his name and address, and leaves note on car. What are the chances of either event?