Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170 - Recommendation on Honest John Car by Car Reviews - andreassr

Can somebody please explain to me why Honest John gives the Audi A4 Avant (from 2008 onwards..) a 5 Star rating when there are numerous reports on there stating clutch and DMF failure , sometimes repeatedly, after low milages ? Concerns the 2.0 TDI 170 engine apparantly ...

Honest John is otherwise a fantastic website for all things motoring and without doubt the most trustworthy...

Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170 - Recommendation on Honest John Car by Car Reviews - RobJP

Looking through the review in detail, there have been a few cases of this - but HJ obviously feels that the overall package doesn't deserve to be marked down because of these. Two cases

Considering the numbers of cars sold, it's probably a tiny fraction, and more likely to be a lack of 'mechanical sympathy' by the drivers (remember, a lot of these are company cars, with drivers not giving a damn) than a manufacturing fault.

Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170 - Recommendation on Honest John Car by Car Reviews - slkfanboy

VW/Audi feature low down in reliability stakes according warranty direct, which seams the best guide I can find. Skoda on the other hand fare far better as do ford and nearly all Japanese cars.

Reviewers in general don’t factor this in when testing product and thats not just cars reviews any reviewers it seams. Sad but true. It has to be said that new cars come with upwards of 3yrs warranty and it could be said that most faults would cost you nothing to fix and hence don’t increase your running costs. So all is good then!
Thats not so good if the cars out of warranty, in that case look at the warranty direct to get an indication of costs after the warranty period. That would make german cars far less attractive purchases for sure.
Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170 - Recommendation on Honest John Car by Car Reviews - Bladerrw

From what I've read on a couple forums which seem to include Audi technicians, this CR engine is extremely reliable. I hope so as I have it in an A6.

I guess most people choose it with an autobox.

Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170 - Recommendation on Honest John Car by Car Reviews - Bianconeri
My last diesel ( and I do mean last ) had this CR engine, albeit in a lower state of tune. It was truly horrible, noisy and rough. It needed two fuel pumps and two sets of injectors in less than 15000 miles.
Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170 - Recommendation on Honest John Car by Car Reviews - andreassr

Good point re company cars...its not my car, so why would I care ? Silly thought really - so the company pays for repairs...which increases the companies cost and potentially reduces their profit...to who's advantage is this other than the car company ??

Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170 - Recommendation on Honest John Car by Car Reviews - Bianconeri

Good point re company cars...its not my car, so why would I care ? Silly thought really - so the company pays for repairs...which increases the companies cost and potentially reduces their profit...to who's advantage is this other than the car company ??

Very British thing, cult of the company car has distorted views and attitudes, not necessarily for the better!
Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170 - Recommendation on Honest John Car by Car Reviews - corax

I think you have to concentrate more on the 'good and bad' section (which I think is updated) rather then the overall rating which is based on the way the car drives, practicality e.t.c, not on longer term ownership.

More useful to read the owner reviews, these seem to be quite honest on this website.

Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170 - Recommendation on Honest John Car by Car Reviews - coopshere
The biggest problem with user reviews/reliability figures is sorting the company car user from the private punter. Few, if any, company car users will keep the car out of the warranty period so may never come across the problems a private punter will with a car out of warranty. However it doesn't take long to research a little on the Internet to find that a lot of the top driver reviews don't look so good when you get past the two or three year mark and are even worse when you look at manufacturer response to ongoing reliability issues.
Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170 - Recommendation on Honest John Car by Car Reviews - corax
The biggest problem with user reviews/reliability figures is sorting the company car user from the private punter. Few, if any, company car users will keep the car out of the warranty period so may never come across the problems a private punter will with a car out of warranty. However it doesn't take long to research a little on the Internet to find that a lot of the top driver reviews don't look so good when you get past the two or three year mark and are even worse when you look at manufacturer response to ongoing reliability issues.

Completely true - you need to read between the lines.

Some reviews can sound like gushing first impressions, the more useful ones are where someone has bought and owned the car for at least five or six years, or they have recently bought a much older car, and are happy with how it's holding up.

You can get a general impression of the reliability of a particular model but a test drive is essential to see if it's suitable.

You can still end up being unlucky and buying a lemon though!