Mazda 3 - Like the look of the Mazda 3 - any tips? - TCJW_designs

Hey everyone - first time poster here, please be nice! haha.

I'm the current owner of an Audi A1 1.4 TFSI Sport. It's a great car, and looks amazing. It's just a little small though, and I'm looking at replacing it sometime with something a bit bigger.

Originally I was looking at an Audi A3, as Audi's service has generally been awesome over the last few years. However, the price is a bit of an issue and I've been looking for cheaper alternatives - the new styled Mazda 3 looks great!

The kit they come with looks great, can get one with a really low mileage and great techy toys for the price of a lower-specced Audi or BMW, but there's just one thing I'm worried about, and that's the lack of a turbo petrol.

I'm so used to the little Audi being so nippy - It may be unwarranted but I've been worried that the Mazda might not be quite as responsive when I need to get the power down (admittedly I know next to nothing about this kind of thing so I'm happy to be schooled on it by you guys).

Does anyone own one of the newer Mazdas? Any thoughts? Not looking to buy straight away - probbaly in the next few months though.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

-Tom

Mazda 3 - Like the look of the Mazda 3 - any tips? - skidpan

Had a BMW 118D for 5 1/2 happy years. When I replaced it I wanted a petrol car with equal performance and dcent fuel economy. Many were shortlisted but the following were by far the best 5:

Aud A1 TSi 1.4 125 PS

BMW 116i 138 PS

Mazda 3 2 litre 120 PS

Seat Leon 1.4 TSi 140 PS

VW Golf 1.4 TSi 140 PS

After looking and driving there was a clear winner. It was the Seat Leon 1.4 TSi which we bought from Carfile.net. It offered the best performance and kit of the lot plus it was the cheapest. The Mazda was about the same price had decent kit but had poor performance in comparison. The VW was simply was too much with no advantages.

Almost 2 years later no regrets. Brilliant car, loads of space, more than enough performance and 45 mpg (calculated) in mixed motoring.

Hey thanks for the response! Good to know. As the Seat is VW group is the 1.4 engine pretty much the same as the one in my A1? Or is there gonna be a significant difference there? I never thought of a Leon but I've always been a fan. Great looking cars ^_^
Mazda 3 - Like the look of the Mazda 3 - any tips? - misar

You should find the more powerful 2.0l petrol manual nippy enough but only if you are prepared to use the gears and revs. Mazda petrol engines rev freely but lack torque at low revs so if you want to use their performance you need to literally follow Mazda's Zoom Zoom slogan. Wonder if the Japanese execs appreciated the irony when they came up with that. Given your current turbo car a test drive is a must but I find my 2.0 Sport very good to drive.

Thanks for replying! That's really useful info. I don't really have a problem with using revs but I do worry about fuel economy - with my A1 I generally get around 40mpg on a trip to work - sometimes higher if I have an empty but of road, but who ever gets that?? A test drive is definitely on the cards. No way to know otherwise! greatly appreciated advice anyhow :)
Mazda 3 - Like the look of the Mazda 3 - any tips? - bazza

The A1 is a fancy Fabia/Polo, the Leon is a Golf, so logically the next size up should do you. The Sport Tourer looks a very nice car with plenty of space. The BMW is too compromised -- nice enough to drive but in my expereince very uncomfortable and no room in the back. The Mazda will probably be fine but those new Skyactive engines are very complex! The VAG 1.4TSI has a mixed history reliability-wise, but the latest ones have reverted to belt rather than VW's problematic timing chain . If keeping several years, might be a factor out of warranty. I'd go with a Leon ST and have an extended warranty out of your choices.

Mazda 3 - Like the look of the Mazda 3 - any tips? - daveyK_UK

I would go with the Mazda 3, it a brilliant car and a natural power engine will cost you less long term than a small capacity turbo engine as there is no turbo to go wrong.

Mazda 3 - Like the look of the Mazda 3 - any tips? - Avant

Welcome to the forum, Tom. Do stay with us.

I think you should get a good long test drive in both the Mazda 3 and the SEAT Leon 1.4 TSI and see which suits your driving style. For me the SEAT (or Golf or A3 or Octavia - yes, it is the same engine) would be the choice: I have the 2.0 TSI in my Octavia and I love the low-down torque - greatly preferable to SWMBO's Mini Cooper Roadster where you have to use the gears much more.

I haven't tried a Mazda 3 but the road tests I've read reflect what's been said above - not a lot of pulling power at low revs. But it might suit you. And if you're going to keep the car for several years, there are fewer questions about Japanese reliability (for petrol cars at any rate) than European.

Edited by Avant on 27/02/2015 at 09:20

Thanks everyone - all good advice. The main takeaway here seems to be to get a test drive so I can feel the ride for myself. Will definitely be doing that!

Cheers

Mazda 3 - Like the look of the Mazda 3 - any tips? - jgrahampo

The VAG group cars may not use the same engine as your A1 but the updated COD/ACT engine that shuts off two cylinders when cruising.

Mazda 3 - Like the look of the Mazda 3 - any tips? - rcaddy

I have had a Mazda3 2.0 (Petrol) Sport Fastback Auto for a year now and find it superb in almost every respect. The autobox is very good despite everybody saying it is underpowered and there are paddles if you really need that bit extra.

This purchase followed ownership of 3 Mercedes C Class, 2007, 2009 and 2011. It is equally as good as the pointed star but certainly not as boring.

It is the only car I have ever had which has caused much comment on its good looks, probably the best looking new car available today.

Richard

Mazda 3 - Like the look of the Mazda 3 - any tips? - skidpan

As the Seat is VW group is the 1.4 engine pretty much the same as the one in my A1? Or is there gonna be a significant difference there?

Not 100% certain but I believe that your A1 will have the older chain cam engine with 122PS and about 150 lbs of torque. The current Leon and Golf (and the A3) use the new cam belt engine which has 150 PS in the latest versions and 184 lbs of torque.

You will find a huge difference (for the better) plus significantly better fuel consumption.

Edited by skidpan on 03/03/2015 at 12:52

Mazda 3 - Like the look of the Mazda 3 - any tips? - Bathmark

Hello Tom, you may well lhave bought your car now. I have had a Mazda 3 for 14 months and previously had 1.4 Golf. The Mazda handles really well, I had the chance to drive around Silvestone at a Mazda event last year. However, it really does lack low down power compared to the excellent 1.4 VW engine. You are changing gears a lot which can get annoying. I also think that car is quite flimsy with thin panels, to reduce weigt. It makes me wonder how it will last in the long term. I have averaged 39 mgg in my time with the car which is not significantly better than the Golf. My Golf was far more solid and was in great condition after 5 years of use. With hinsight I wish that I had driven the 1.4 FR Leon. The 3 door version with the new 150 bhp engine looks fantastic and I might even try trading the Mazda in for one next year.

Edited by Bathmark on 09/04/2015 at 11:52

Mazda 3 - Like the look of the Mazda 3 - any tips? - balleballe

I had a 1st Gen mazda 3 for 3 years and 55k. Never missed a beat. Before this I had the same 2.0 petrol engine in a Mazda 6 for 30k......no issues there either

I imagine build quality is still the same in the 3rd Gen. Mazda Petrols have very little by way of problems.

VW had issues with the previous 1.4 TSI. The current one seems to be better reliability wise but only time will tell

If I was looking to lease (2-3 years)- I'd pick the Leon.

If I was looking to keep long term - I'd pick the Mazda.

Mazda 3 - Like the look of the Mazda 3 - any tips? - drd63

Previous poster mentioned the Mazda feeling as if the panels were thinner than a Golf. This simply comes down to the VW brands focusing on perceived quality rather than Japanese manufacturers focusing on in depth integrity. Try to ignore that because when you live with a car day to day i'd much rather have the comfort of something built to be good rather than simply built to feel good.