Citroen C5 2003 LX Estate 2.0 HDi (110bhp) - Citroen 2.0 HDi noise/vibration at idle - lrochfort

Hello all,

I recently bought a Citroen C5 Estate with the 2.0 HDi (110bhp).

The engine is generally good and strong, but has an additional lowish frequency noise and a slight extra vibration at idle. If I increase the revs by 100rpm or so, or draw any electrical load such as use aircon or the rear demister, the noise stops.

Could it be idling too slow or something to do with the alternator clutch or pulley?

Thanks all.

Citroen C5 2003 LX Estate 2.0 HDi (110bhp) - Citroen 2.0 HDi noise/vibration at idle - craig-pd130

Could be something as simple as the airbox snorkel or the engine cover being a bit loose. It's surprising how loud these can be considering they're fairly light plastic / rubber components.

Have a look under the bonnet with the engine idling and see if you can see / hear anything obvious.

Citroen C5 2003 LX Estate 2.0 HDi (110bhp) - Citroen 2.0 HDi noise/vibration at idle - mjm

It could be the crankshaft pulley that drives the alternator etc. They are two piece construction with a rubber damper bonded in. The bonding can fail. It needs examining carefully. If it totally fails then there is a possibility of the pieces causing damage to the cambelt.

Citroen C5 2003 LX Estate 2.0 HDi (110bhp) - Citroen 2.0 HDi noise/vibration at idle - Peter.N.

Failing that the top engine mount/damper.

Citroen C5 2003 LX Estate 2.0 HDi (110bhp) - Citroen 2.0 HDi noise/vibration at idle - ScoBro

I'll second the crankshaft pulley. look for an orange dust around it, if it has then its breaking up inside. very common on the hdi's for these to squeak and rattle. When these fail, they tend to pull the cambelt with them so well worth getting checked!