Ford Focus - Broken while in for repairs - james.

Hi

My 61 plate focus has been in for repairs through a 3rd parties insurance and today I've been notified that they can no longer open the bonnet to confirm the lights are at the legal height. The bonnet has been opened to complete the repairs.

They want me to pay for the repair to the bonnet. Surely this can't be right?

Thanks

Sorry looks like this is in the wrong section. Could someone please move.

Thanks

Ford Focus - Broken while in for repairs - TedCrilly

If the cable has snapped or the mechanism has broken it can be argued as being fair wear and tear and hardly their fault just because it was in their care at the time.

Ford Focus - Broken while in for repairs - catsdad
Probably they have a specifc agreed schedule,withnthe assessor and if the bonnet mechanism (does focus still have a lock?) is not listed the garage needs someone to pay. However rather than us all speculate on sketchy info, why not ask the garage to explain?
Ford Focus - Broken while in for repairs - Simon

What repairs have they carried out?

It was in for a replacement bumper, side panel and a front headlight so the bonnet locking mechanim is outside of the intial work.

Apparently, the lock has today suddenly stuck but I've never had an issue with it and the cars only three years old. They're blaming it on normal wear and tear and "it's a known issue - Google it" but from what I've read this evening that only relates to much older models.

Edited by james. on 10/02/2015 at 22:49

Ford Focus - Broken while in for repairs - elekie&a/c doctor

The bonnet lock went in working and now it's not,since the repairs.Their problem not yours.Early models did suffer with bonnet locks breaking but not a 3 year old model.Get them to fix it ,something has possibly got jammed in the mechanism while being repaired.

Ford Focus - Broken while in for repairs - Armitage Shanks {p}

My 07 plate model needs the ignition key to open, no cable involved
Ford Focus - Broken while in for repairs - YG2007

"The bonnet lock went in working and now it's not,since the repairs.Their problem not yours"

This is not strictly true. If the garage has done no work on the bonnet or lock mechanism they can have no responsibility for this. I own a garage and its incredable how often this problem of "its was ok before it came in the garage" is thrown at you.

We had a customer the other week for example whose car failed its MOT on a blowing exhaust. A new exhaust was fitted and MOT issued and 2 weeks later they returned claiming the front brakes were squealing and the battery had gone flat and needed replacing. "What are we going to do about it?"

Somehow the garage assumes responsibility for any faults on the vehicle that occur following a garage visit even though the faults are totally unrelated to work performed.

The above example is obvious to all but the most dimwitted of people that it is not a responsibility of the garage, however when work is performed that could be related to the new fault that occurs then there appears to be a "guilt by inherited association" that is used to condemn a garage trying to resolve a customers problems. (I have to say this approach tends to be adopted by owners who have bought a bad car from others (usually fleabay) and having bought on price rather than condition somehow want to apportion blame to the garage who are only offering repair solutions at a price they dont want or cant afford to pay.

Ford Focus - Broken while in for repairs - Andrew-T

But surely in this case, the lock was working when the car went in, as they opened the bonnet to fix the lamps? I doubt it was handed over with the bonnet open?

Ford Focus - Broken while in for repairs - slkfanboy

It may well have worked last time you used, 3yrs old might it just be under warranty?