citroen xsara picasso 2.0 hdi - 2002 xsara picasso gear stick SNAPPED off - colboy888

So,

sitting at the lights in neutral, went to put the car into first and the damn lever snapped off in my hand!

I pulled the gaiter and lever off and was left looking at the hole in the dash, i can see where the lever has snaped off, just where it attaches to the vertical bar inside the dash!

I managed to get the car into 3rd and limp home (that was interesting but i am quite proud that i managed to change gears with a pair of long nose pliers)

Anyway, im quite handy with some mechanics, having changed suspensions, rewired electronics, changed gear linkages and the like but i cant even find a single article on how to fix this, im assuming that the whole unit inside the dash must come out and be replaced.

But, what the devil is it called so i can 1. source the part and 2.find out how to replace it.

I would go see my local mechanic but its late and tomorrow im busy at work and then its sunday and id like to jump start this project asap!

So any help would be most appreciated!

citroen xsara picasso 2.0 hdi - 2002 xsara picasso gear stick SNAPPED off - craigmansell

I see this is an old thread, BUT, the exact same happened to me this week.

Did you sort it?

What IS THE bit called?

I can't find anything on the Web either!

citroen xsara picasso 2.0 hdi - 2002 xsara picasso gear stick SNAPPED off - focussed

I had that happen to me on a Mk1 Morris Oxford - I drove about for a week changing gears with a mole wrench clamped to the column change shaft, until I could make a new shaft!

citroen xsara picasso 2.0 hdi - 2002 xsara picasso gear stick SNAPPED off - galileo

Mark 3 Cortinas had the gear lever retained in the casting by a large Nylon nut failrly fine threads. After a few years/miles it wasn't unusual for the lever to come out in your hand when changing gear.

citroen xsara picasso 2.0 hdi - 2002 xsara picasso gear stick SNAPPED off - focussed

Fiestas used to do it as well.