Changing vehicle - djc1610

For many years I have been the butt of everyone's jokes; I have owned a motorhome and thoroughly enjoyed the time spent in it.

A couple of years ago I sold my large motorhome and car and bought a VW T5 campervan as my sole vehicle.

Now, at a rather ripe old age, I am selling the campervan, giving up camping and moving on to other holiday such a cruising.

My wife and I are now looking for a smallish, moderately priced car which will normally only carry two adults, will mainly be used for local travel but will, from time to time, be used for long holidays such as touring Europe.

We need a car with easy access, reasonable power from the engine, 4 passenger doors (fussy sister!), new type automatic gearbox (no fluid flywheel - too expensive to run), reasonable amount of space inside a well-appointed cabin and good space in the boot with rear seat down if necessary.

We owned a new type Fiesta for a short period but was very disappointed with the cabin space especially in the rear, the ridiculously small rear windows, small boot and a very poor auto gearbox which continuously hunted up a down at 70 mph on undulating roads. The economy was also unbelievably bad compared to my previous Toyota Yaris.

Any suggestions?

Changing vehicle - gordonbennet

Brilliant, haven't heard the term fluid flywheel for years.

Should be lots of suggestions along shortly, the only ultra modern gearbox i would consider would be a CVT, such as found in latest Honda Jazz (thats one suggestion) and in most new Toyotas (Auris estate is my other suggestion unless Yaris big enough), you might even fancy trying a Toyota hybrid which is another drive system entirely and can be had in Auris or Yaris bodies.

There's other gearboxes available, automated manuals and DSG style twin clutch systems, my own view of these is barge pole, but others seem to find them OK for their needs, but neither sort are wise investments out of warranty.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/02/2015 at 13:58

Changing vehicle - skidpan

Pretty much afraid that you are looking for the impossible.

A smallish car will be unpleasant on your proosed continental trips.

A non torque converter auto may be more economical but CVT's are incredibly noisy (and uneconomical) and some of the more modern auto's have a patchy reliability especially when buying older used ones.

So my suggestion would be something like a Ford Focus Auto or a Kia Ceed auto. Petrols in both instances since you local running will do a DPF no good at all. Both are old school autos with good reliability.

Plenty available.

I was amazed by the comments made to my reference to the fluid flywheel. I had absolutely no intention to use that term what I intended to use was the torque converter. I really must be in the advances stages of dementia.

My current vehicle (VW T5) has the "auto" gearbox which is basically an automatically shifted mechanical gear box.

I have got used to this type of box and find thast it suits my relaxed styleof drivinh. For me 0 - 60mph in 0.01 seconds is not one of my desires.

I was amazed by the comments made to my reference to the fluid flywheel. I had absolutely no intention to use that term what I intended to use was the torque converter. I really must be in the advances stages of dementia

Hope you haven't taken offence, none intended, you're in good company here, most of us arn't exactly in the first flush of youth.

Don't know about dementia (Heaven forbid), i've losing the plot for years is that a sign?, mind you it's better than the alternative..:-)

I like hearing old school terms for things, the fluid flywheel term just sounded slightly incongruous when you're actively seeking (and already using it seems) a modern automanual box.

I was amazed by the comments made to my reference to the fluid flywheel. I had absolutely no intention to use that term what I intended to use was the torque converter. I really must be in the advances stages of dementia.

My current vehicle (VW T5) has the "auto" gearbox which is basically an automatically shifted mechanical gear box.

I have got used to this type of box and find thast it suits my relaxed styleof drivinh. For me 0 - 60mph in 0.01 seconds is not one of my desires.

Changing vehicle - Smileyman

I've been thinking od a change from my Nissan Primera, similar thoughts about car needs .... been looking at the Skoda Rapid / Seat Toledo size car, or a small estate eg Skoda Fabia / Seat Ibiza size. From Nissan I've also looked at the new Pulsar, it's expesnive but I've been seeing more sensible pricing through brokers starting to be advertised. All have automatic options, 5 doors and moderate to good size boots which can be expanded if the rear seat is folded down (but I would not suggest doing that if leaving the car parked roadside, open invitation for items on display to be stolen and not covered by insurance). Could also add the Quashqai to the list too.

As a child my dad had a 'Commer Highwayman' motor caravan, 1966 E registration, I think it had a 1600cc engine, certainly 3 speed automatic, great for family holidays down to Italy etc camping out roadside en route. Those were great days!

Edited by Smileyman on 01/02/2015 at 17:39

wrong thread

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/02/2015 at 17:41

Changing vehicle - madf

I have a Jazz CVT#.. and unless you accelerate like a bat out of hell the gearbox is quiet. But lots of wind noise at 70mph.

Easy to drive and park...Not ideal for lots of long journeys. LOTS of interior space..38mpg around town

# Mine is post 2011 so has a small torque convertor and semaless gearchanges. DO NOT buy a used IShift one.. pre 2011 to c 2008. Not nice....

Changing vehicle - daveyK_UK

I would definitely recommend a small MPV which all come with 5 doors.

As for an automatic, I wouldn't touch anything other than a torque converter. If you really can't have a torque converter then go for a Japanese or Korean automatic such as a Honda Jazz CVT or Toyota Urban Cruiser or Toyota Yaris Verso or Suzuki s cross or Nissan Note.

I'm not sure if Fiat sell a petrol automatic version of the 500 L but my friend who has a manual petrol 500L said it's the best Fiat he has ever had and rates it. He is an ex mechanic and said it's well built.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 01/02/2015 at 18:58

Changing vehicle - Happy Blue!

I agree. The Fiat 500L is a great car. Spacious, comfortable over long distances, economical, although the diesel has a narrow torque and power band, which makes climbing mountains a bit tiresome. We took our family of five plus luggage across northern Italy for 1,000 miles without complaint.