Peugeot 307 - power steering - strickjumpers

Hello, I want to buy a peugeot 307 from my boss but he is reluctant to sell as it has intermittant power steering, i understand the system is electric, any thoughts of what the likely cause could be? many thanks.

Peugeot 307 - power steering - Gibbo_Wirral

If its anything like mine and a few others on the Peugeotforums, all it needs is a little TLC and maintenance.

First you need to overfil the PS reservoir beyond the MAX level. Its a known released Peugeot service bulletin (well, only to Autodata users and the like).

Secondly, you need to take off the front offside wheel and wheel arch liner to gain easy access to the pump. Years of motoring will mean an accumulation of dirt and mud behind the liner. (its the same on the other side where the ABS unit is, also well worth checking and protecting).

Clean it all out then disconnect the electrical connector to the power steering pump. Give a liberal spray with electrical contact cleaner, re-attach then give it a protective coating with some suitable spray. I use the Protection Wax from Toolstation.

www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants...5

One other thing to check is the battery. If its a few years old it might need replacing, even if it appears to start the car OK.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 02/02/2015 at 13:43