Police Refusing Informations - Lyle

Hi All,

I Few Weeks Ago I Was Involved In a Collision On My Push Bike With A Car.

I Was On The Roundabout and The Car Didnt Stop While Entering The Roundabout.

I Got Knocked Out and Rushed into A&E on a Spinal Board So I Didnt get Chance to get Drivers Details.

I Have Contacted the Police Numerous Times The First Few Times I Got Told They Will Get an Officer To Call Me. But I Had No Call.

I then got told the officer I need to speak to is on annual leave.

and then I got told they couldn't give me the driver details because of Data Protection.

Surely this Cant Be Right, I'm the victim. all I need is the drivers name and Registration.

Do They Have To Provide Me With The Details?

Police Refusing Informations - Armitage Shanks {p}

Did the police turn up at the accident? If you were rushed to A&E how did they get your details?

Police Refusing Informations - Lyle

Police Did Arrived when I was in the ambulane and took my details.

While Lying on the Spinal Board he even had the cheek to tell me to stop giving him attitude when he asked me what I was going to do with the bike. All I said was the bike not the main priority at the moment .

Police Refusing Informations - Bromptonaut

Join the Cyclists Touring Club and get their legal bods on the case.

Police Refusing Informations - Dwight Van Driver

I cannot see why DPA should be used as an excuse for denying details of the driver to the injured person. Surely the provisions of Section 170 Road Traffic Act 1988 (google it) are to ensure the other party involved gets details. In fact it has been held the reason to exchange details is to allow future communication between interested parties [DPP v Macarthy (1999)]

The Evershed(?) procedure is in place which according to Chief Officers of Police allow Insurance Companies and legal profession on payment of a fee to obtain an abstract of an accident with details of those involved.

Whilst there does not appear to be any actual statutory duty for the Police to disclose in my day it was common practice to do so under police/public relations.

mawould consider visiting the Police Station concerned and demanding to speak to a Duty/Senior Officer to obtain the neccessary details and if not forthcoming lodge an official complaint.

dvd

Police Refusing Informations - slkfanboy

Police give the Data Protection Act as an excuse. It does not apply as a crime has been committed.

I had such a discussion with a PC and my daughter. It turned out they simply avoiding filling out the paper work!

Police Refusing Informations - Logician

Did the driver stop and give details to the police? If not are you sure they have got them, since you were not able to give them the VRM?

Police Refusing Informations - YG2007

The DPA is there to protect data but is usually used by bimbling incompetents in organsiations to avoid helping you and to hide behind. The act states that persons who have control of data must protect the data and provide it on request to a person with a lawful right to request the data.

In your case by stating you may wish to consider a "private prosecution" for careless driving by the driver the police would be obliged to hand over such data to you as that may be required to identify a potential defendant.

You dont have to bring a private proseution but you can pass the info to Ambulance chasers are us to make a civil claim for damages etc,,

Police could only withhold such info if thy thought it might be used for criminal or unlawfull purposes ie you and your mates are going to pay the driver a visit.