Parking dispute - hillman

I parked in the centre of Bury once in company with my brother-in-law. When I placed the ticket on the dashboard as I always do he was insistant that I stick it on the windscreen as the ticket said. I don't like the residue of the glue on my windscreen, but my B-I-L said that I would get a fine because the attendants were looking out for the slightest infringement. It looks like somebody else is complaining.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/11376805/MPs-fury-over-motorists-fined-for-putting-their-parking-receipts-in-the-wrong-place-on-the-dashboard.html

Parking dispute - RobJP

If you read the story in full, there is a statement from NCP, which reads :

An NCP spokesman said: "In relation to 'wrongly placed tickets' I can advise that NCP accepts any ticket that we can see clearly. We have no policy on where or how it is displayed as long as we can see it. Indeed MP Robert Halfon has not made any comment to us of late in regards to 'wrongly placed tickets'. And I would not know to what this may refer.

Parking dispute - Avant

Sometimes, if you just put the ticket on top of the dashboard, the action of shutting the door can blow it on to the floor without your noticing it.

Skodas, and I think some others, have a little clip towards the bottom edge of the windscreen to hold the ticket without sticking it on. Such a tiny, cheap thing but so useful: I can't think why more makers don't fit them.

Parking dispute - Trilogy

Avant, I've had a ticket do just that. I did get a parking ticket. However, I did write to the council enclosing the ticket. My explanation was accepted.

Parking dispute - Bromptonaut

Known in the trade as 'fluttering tickets'. Council should accept it provided ticket was properly issued - there's guidance on the Tribunal's website.

Parking dispute - brighteyes
There used to be a brilliant Park and Ride system in Chester where the parking was free and all you paid for was the return bus journey. If however you had a national bus pass the whole thing was free and the buses where clean and regular. Thinking of revisiting Chester in the springtime, do any of our posters know if this system is still in operation and yes both my wife and I have bus passes!!!!
Parking dispute - RobJP

The Park and ride in Chester is still active, however I've no idea if bus passes are free on it or not.

I'm very lucky, in that my mum lives just outside the city centre, so we park at her house, and can walk in in about 10 minutes.

Parking dispute - Gibbo_Wirral

Even though a ticket could blow off the dashboard when the door is closed, there's no real excuse as to why you wouldn't look to see its still there.

Parking dispute - bathtub tom
There used to be a brilliant Park and Ride system in Chester where the parking was free and all you paid for was the return bus journey. If however you had a national bus pass the whole thing was free and the buses where clean and regular. Thinking of revisiting Chester in the springtime, do any of our posters know if this system is still in operation and yes both my wife and I have bus passes!!!!

I visited last year and there was a small charge for the bus (I've a pensioner's pass). There were four of us (all with passes) and it worked out cheaper to buy a group ticket.

I've no objection to paying the fee requested.

Parking dispute - bathtub tom

<s>I visited last year and there was a small charge for the bus (I've a pensioner's pass). There were four of us (all with passes) and it worked out cheaper to buy a group ticket.</s>

Sorry, scrub that. I was thinking of Shrewsbury - senior moment and all that. I'm told I'll be having visitors soon........................................................

What's happened to the <> and preview options?

Whoops! Wrong forum.

Edited by bathtub tom on 30/01/2015 at 15:27

Parking dispute - Avant

Don't most park-and-ride systems work like that? They do in Reading (Winnersh) and Oxford. In Reading you could use a bus pass if it was after 9.00 am.

Edited by Avant on 30/01/2015 at 14:18

Parking dispute - RT

The "English National Concessionary Travel Scheme" can be used on all local buses in England from 9:30am to 11:00pm Mon-Fri and all day Sat-Sun. Some local authorities extend those hours, some being any time Mon-Sun.

Long time ago Oxford gave free parking at the P&R with the bus chargeable but that's now the other way round.

Some, but not all, P&R give further concessions for Blue Badge holders.

"If you read the story in full, there is a statement from NCP, which reads :

An NCP spokesman said: "In relation to 'wrongly placed tickets' I can advise that NCP accepts any ticket that we can see clearly. We have no policy on where or how it is displayed as long as we can see it. Indeed MP Robert Halfon has not made any comment to us of late in regards to 'wrongly placed tickets'. And I would not know to what this may refer.

I did read the article in full. Whatever the NCP bosses say the man on the ground may be on piece-work and 'neglect' the rules.

Parking dispute - alan1302

I did read the article in full. Whatever the NCP bosses say the man on the ground may be on piece-work and 'neglect' the rules.

So no matter what they say you would not belive them?

Parking dispute - concrete

Avant is correct. I have used P&R in a lot of places, always after the peak period and a bus pass allows free travel everywhere I have used. There may be exceptions but a small fee is nothing compared to the hassle and fees involved in finding a parking space.

In relation to parking tickets being displayed. I purchased a ticket in Glasgow and stuck it on the side window. On my return I had a PCN for failure to display. The ticket had come unstuck and landed on the seat, face up in plain view, had the officer cared to look. I took a photograph, filled out an appeal form and attached the ticket, and they took the sensible view that the ticket was after all 'on display'. I suppose it depends how you interpret 'on display'. IMHO if it can be seen, even with a small amount of effort, it is 'on display'. But human nature dictates that for every reasonable person doing a job there will be an unreasonable 'jobsworth' doing it too! Wasn't there case some years ago where someone had every parking ticket he ever bought on display? Of course this made it difficult to locate the current one, but I believe he won his case because his ticket was 'on display'.

Cheers Concrete

alan1302

It's not so much that I don't believe NCP but it would take so long and so many discussions until they over-ride the man on the spot. And, not all council car-parks are run by NCP.

Parking dispute - bananastand

this belongs on another thread really which I will now visit, however, having tried the Cambridge park and ride service twice, for me it's "never again". Hours and hours gone from my life that I will never get back. The park and ride car park I used is in the middle of a road system that got hopelessly jammed at rush hour anyway, somewhat defeating the purpose! If I must, I think I'll use the train. I've no idea where the station is though. Hopefully near the centre. Okay I'll leave you alone now.

Parking dispute - RT

Cambridge train station is unusual in being on the outskirts of the city centre - as the University wanted it nowhere near them!

Parking dispute - Gibbo_Wirral

Chester is the same. Sheffield too to some degree.

Parking dispute - skidpan

Cambridge train station is unusual in being on the outskirts of the city centre

Parking dispute - skidpan

And Nottingham

Parking dispute - RT

And Nottingham

Because they closed and demolished Victoria Station !

Parking dispute - Bromptonaut

Most stations serving older cities would have been built on the outskirts. The London mainline termini were on the outskirts at the time of construction.

What's more unusual is where subsequent development has not led to station being in a shopping and/or commercial area.