Ford Focus - £7.5k to Spend - Focus Mk2 or Mk3 Petrol - steadyslowdriver

Hi

I'm looking to replace my BMW 1 Series which has low profile tyres and really harsh suspension on the harsh UK A roads on my daily 10 mile each way communte.

I've been told the Focus has a good chasis and is better at soaking up pot holes etc.

Therefore if I was to spend around £7.5k on a Focus Petrol:

1)is it better to go for a top end late Mk2 or an early Mk3?

2)What should you look out for when buying either of these?

3)Which is the best petrol engine ideally I want something wit a bit of power say 125bhp+, but also reliable?

4)Whats the hierachy of Trim levels, I've not had a ford for years but which is the equivilent to the old Ghia i.e. most comfy and or best looking?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Ford Focus - £7.5k to Spend - Focus Mk2 or Mk3 Petrol - Avant

I'll paste over my reply on your other thread which was on the same subject.

'A Golf, A3 or Leon (or Octavia which is slightly bigger) will probably tick most of your boxes - just avoid the twin-charged engines which are anyway quite rare. But don't dismiss the Ford Focus: there are plenty to choose from in all price ranges; you'll get a newer one for your £7,000; and you may well find it comfortable. The 1.8 and 2.0 petrol engines are livelier than the 1.6 with very little loss in economy.'

The Titanium and Titanium X are the new names for Ford range-toppers, but first owners may have specified extras. As you're buying used, you just need to look at each car and see whether it's got the extras that you want.

Ford Focus - £7.5k to Spend - Focus Mk2 or Mk3 Petrol - bazza

We currently have a late Mk 2 in the family, it's a 2010 1.6 petrol, which i believe is known as a Mk 2.5, after a facelift in 2008. It's overall a decent car, goes well enough, does 40 mpg and more on a run. Of course it handles and steers superbly, the ride is good on 16inch rims and I find the seats much more comfortable than our other car a 2008 Octavia. Build quality is ok, nothing more and road noise is intrusive on harsh surfaces and motorways. I believe the Titanium range might have more sound proofing, worth researching. The standard fit audio is more than adequate. Other than a rain water leak into the boot, it's been fine. If buying the early 1.6, check that the windscreen washer jets have the later seal modification to prevent rain water dripping through and filling the spark plug wells with water- can result in very expensive fix. I have heard the 1.8 is almost as economical with plenty of power.

I have driven the Mk3 for a few hundred miles and found it quieter and more refined than ours overall, with the same fine handling. Dashboard is a bit fussy initially but soon got used to that. I think you can do far worse than a Focus, they are great value cars as a nearly new or used but poor value brand new due to high initial depreciation.

Ford Focus - £7.5k to Spend - Focus Mk2 or Mk3 Petrol - Coombs33

Hi

I'm looking to replace my BMW 1 Series which has low profile tyres and really harsh suspension on the harsh UK A roads on my daily 10 mile each way communte.

I've been told the Focus has a good chasis and is better at soaking up pot holes etc.

Therefore if I was to spend around £7.5k on a Focus Petrol:

1)is it better to go for a top end late Mk2 or an early Mk3?

2)What should you look out for when buying either of these?

3)Which is the best petrol engine ideally I want something wit a bit of power say 125bhp+, but also reliable?

4)Whats the hierachy of Trim levels, I've not had a ford for years but which is the equivilent to the old Ghia i.e. most comfy and or best looking?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Either go for a larger diesel engine or stay with petrol. I have a focus 1.6tdci, exceptional car great fuel econamy and easy to drive but what a lack of power and very unresponsive. Even my wife mentions how slow it is to react when the pedal hits the metal. If your not worried about econamy to much the original Focus St is a great car.