Any - Renewing old paper licence - Snakey

Has anyone changed their old paper driving licence (pre 1998) to the newer id card style?

I tried to renew mine as it was tatty, and I'm hiring a car abroad this year and thought it would be better to have the newer one. However I should have known the dvla wouldn't make this easy!

I filled in the online forms, and only after taking my payment did the dvla tell me they needed additional information - for which they would send me a form in the post. They haven't. And they also requested I cut my old licence in two and send that to them - oh yes I'm likely to do that without any proof I even have a license! Ringing them is like ringing BT/Sky etc so I gave up with that.

So although I'll be keeping my old license (and writing the £20 fee off another another motoring related tax) has anyone else managed to do this, and were you sent an additional form?

Any - Renewing old paper licence - madf

Please resposnd someone: I have a paper one too - 1982 vintage...

Any - Renewing old paper licence - dadbif
I renewed my licence last year and have one of the "new licences", I do not recall a paper licence being issued, but I remember the loss of £20. Licences are being updated across Spain, so the need to have a paper copy for car hire may have changed.
Any - Renewing old paper licence - Bromptonaut

Did it on line a year or so ago. Mine was dead straightforward as, with my consent, my passport photo was used.

I suspect the reason the OP needed to go through paper form>sign>return caper was to do with his photograph bein verified.

I was asked to return the paper licence but never got around to it and have not been chased.

Any - Renewing old paper licence - Stroudie

It depends on your age.

If you are over 70, and want to renew minibus and lorry entitlement you will have to do it by post and have a medical, for which you will have to pay. I am in that process now and am having the £58 fee reimbursed by the voluntary organisation I drive a Community bus for.

If below 70 you can get Form D1 from POs and you will need to do it by post. As you only have a paper licence you will need a passport photo which you stick on the form, and send DVLA ID.

Scan and print your old paper licence before you send the original off with the £20 fee.

Any - Renewing old paper licence - jc2

You do not need to send a passport photo if the one in your passport can be copied electronically.

How long has the OP left it since DVLA said they were sending out formwork for signature?

I don't suppose they use first class post. In fact they probably use the cheapest of the 'alternative' post services that piggy back onto Royal Mail for the last mile. Things sent that way can take well over a week.

Certainly wouldn't let them get away with my £20. If you can't wait for the phone line (try a quiet time) then e-mail. They almost certainly prefer that as it makes their workload easier to manage.

Any - Renewing old paper licence - Ben 10
DVLA doing away with paper licences later this year. If yours has fallen apart it will probably not be replaced so you'll have to get the new plastic version.
DVLA doing away with paper licences later this year. If yours has fallen apart it will probably not be replaced so you'll have to get the new plastic version.

Not seen anything about that. The counterpart is being abolished and points will no longer be shown on paper licences.

An electronic 'real time' access system will allow employers, hire companies and others with a 'need to know' to check licences.

www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

IIRC it's a long time since new paper licences were issued eg as replacements following loss or on change of address.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 29/01/2015 at 11:27

Any - Renewing old paper licence - Galaxy

Not true!

They're doing away with the paper part of the photocard license, that's all.

If you have an original green or pink paper license then you're quite entitled to carry on using it unless, of course, you wish to change to a photocard one or you have to renew your license for another reason, e.g. change of address.

If this is the case you will be issued with a photocard one with no paper accompanyment.

They were going to use my passport photo as its still well within its expiry. I'm also well under 70 (by about 30 years!) so I'm ok on that score. My license was last changed in 1997 so is still the paper only-pink version.

These paper licenses are still valid (just as well really!) so I'll write off the 20 quid as another useless government motoring department loss!

As for scanning a copy of your paper license, the evil dvla even tried to prosecute someone for producing that as evidence, as they lost his original entitlement, therefore what he produced must have been a forgery. They dropped it eventually, but who needs the aggro!

Edited by Snakey on 29/01/2015 at 12:34

Any - Renewing old paper licence - Chris M

"I'll write off the 20 quid as another useless government motoring department loss!"

Now I don't know the true cost of supplying a new licence, but assuming it's around £20 (hardly a fortune), are you expecting the rest of the UK's taxpaying population to buy it for you? Perhaps for your birthday?

If you want a new licence, why shouldn't you pay for it?

"I'll write off the 20 quid as another useless government motoring department loss!"

Now I don't know the true cost of supplying a new licence, but assuming it's around £20 (hardly a fortune), are you expecting the rest of the UK's taxpaying population to buy it for you? Perhaps for your birthday?

If you want a new licence, why shouldn't you pay for it?

With road tax and all the other associated road fees, I think I'm quite entitled to a gold plated license - for free. And a bottle of champagne when it arrives.

Any - Renewing old paper licence - Gibbo_Wirral

You could always buy a band A car and pay no "road tax".

Any - Renewing old paper licence - Chris M

Yes Snakey, I also pay road tax and all the other associated road fees, as well as a whole host of non motoring related taxes, but that still doesn't make me feel like buying you a new licence as well!

Any - Renewing old paper licence - skidpan

With road tax and all the other associated road fees, I think I'm quite entitled to a gold plated license - for free.

Unlike income tax, council tax, VAT you can make a decision to opt out of paying road tax, fuel duty, driving licence fees etc. You simply sell the car and stop driving.

Wow, sense of humour failure.

Anyway, the dvla ballsed up my new license as my valid passport isn't valid apparently. So if you've got the original paper one like me, save yourself the grief and keep it!