a tricky one!!! - scruffythedog118
Does anyone know (the easiest way) how I can obtain details of the current registered keeper of a car as I have the full registration and chassis and engine numbers and wish to try and cut out the "middle man" (car dealer) The dealer is advertising the car, but not yet got it, due to awaiting the seller to get his new car from elsewhere!!!
Quite easy really. - M.M
std,

So how did you come to hear of this car? From the dealer? And it's so good you want this particular one?

If so he deserves the profit for sourcing such an unmissable vehicle!

MM.
A tricky one!!! - Union Jack
Oh, go on - I'll have a go!

Since it seems unlikely that this can be done wholly legally (not that this may be an obstacle, observing the details you already have with or without the blessing of the Data Protection Registrar), your best options would appear to be to advertise, go roving round the neighbourhood (but avoid kerb-crawling) or, if all else fails, mount a round the clock vigil outside the dealership, complete with whole herds of cash ....

If all else fails, and assuming there is a reward, we could all keep our eyes peeled for you if you spill the beans in return for a bung. [1]

However, don't overlook the possibility that the unsuspecting owner may have a watertight contract with the dealer, may even be happy with it, and may even have a conscience....

Jack

[1] Only joking, Mark and assuming that STD is not!
A tricky one!!! - DavidHM
"Regulations provide for the release of information [from the DVLA] to the police, to local authorities to enforce parking restrictions and to anyone who can demonstrate 'reasonable cause'" I doubt very much that this would count as one, but there's no harm in asking is there?

However, as Jack says, there is probably a contract that the dealer could in theory sue on. If it were my car, I'd sell to the dealer anyway, even if you were offering me more because the dealer has a legitimate expectation of profit from the sale, that he could claim back from a seller who breached that contract. Unless you're willing to pay the seller more than the dealer would expect to charge (why?!) then it's not necessarily in the seller's financial interest to sell to you at a higher price than to the dealer.

Also, if someone did track me down and offer to buy my car like that, I'd be very suspicious of them and suspect they were trying to pull a fast one. Finally, there is the point that the dealer has done his job of sourcing a good car and paying to advertise it - so he deserves his cut in my opinion.
A tricky one!!! - NWS
Unless a naive seller has just offered the dealer a gem without realising it and could have got a more realistic market value if they were a bit more clued up. This sounds like a million shades of grey, but I'd agree that if someone with this info popped up on my doorstep I'd feel it was a bit creepy and would want rid of the car PDQ.